Entry for May 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now openĀ ENTER HERE!

Was hoping some folks could give some suggested router bits.

I have made my initial (1/4" MDF) template and have married it (bolted) it to a rough cut 1/2" template. I also am about to glue together my 2 piece poplar body blank and will soon be ready to cut/rout the body shape using the template.

Any specifics (make/model/specs) on suggested bits would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I recently bought two of these and have been very happy with them

http://www.amazon.com/CMT-811-159-11B-Pattern-Cutting-Diameter/dp/B000P4NR1U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1349226323&sr=8-6&keywords=pattern+bit

But don't blame me if you do something unwise and kill yourself.Routers are not "safe" tools.

Of course you give no specifics on what router you have,or even if it is a table router or a handheld.Mine is a handheld with a 1/4" collet

R163K_1_Final_4.jpg

I have several friends/family with router tables and hand held routers, so honestly I'm not sure the collet size yet. My plan was to go with the table (figured it might be easier to handle the wood versus the router for a first timer).

The link is very helpful.

I'll go slow and careful for sure.

Thanks.

Keep in mind that if you intend to cut the body out close to the line with a saw before routing,and wish to rout the body in one pass,you will want a table router and a bit with a cutting length slightly longer than your body thickness with a bearing at the tip and for a bit that long you will want a 1/2" collet.

If you want to rout it with a handheld from the top in many passes the bit I listed works fine.But I don't rout body outline,I cut it and sand to the line.I use the bit posted to rout cavities.

But the CMT Orange seems to be a quality bit,and they have many.Not knowing exactly how you want to do the work makes it tough to guess the bit you need.

Also I always turn the body against the rotation of the bit because it tends to jump otherwise.As I said,routers are horrible and devastating tools of mayhem and will turn any part of you that touches the bit into irreversible mush...I suggest your friends and family might give you a few pointers if you lack experience.I learned the hard way,but I already had a lifetime of experience with many tools and machinery that can mangle a person beyond recognition if abused...including cranes and steel cutting "ironworkers" that can chop and punch through 1" steel with nothing more than pure force..and the router still scares me...mostly because it always seems to be a split second away from spinning into my crotch...

Also consider a bushing set for your router. These allow you to separate the length of your cutter from the bit that rides on the template - the bearing. The downside is you need to factor in an offset to your templates since the bushings are wider that the bit diameter in order to let it through. Still, enormously useful.

Also I always turn the body against the rotation of the bit because it tends to jump otherwise.As I said,routers are horrible and devastating tools of mayhem and will turn any part of you that touches the bit into irreversible mush...I suggest your friends and family might give you a few pointers if you lack experience.I learned the hard way,but I already had a lifetime of experience with many tools and machinery that can mangle a person beyond recognition if abused...including cranes and steel cutting "ironworkers" that can chop and punch through 1" steel with nothing more than pure force..and the router still scares me...mostly because it always seems to be a split second away from spinning into my crotch...

Haha!!! I blew up another carbide bit on the pin router by accidentally climb cutting. Those single flute cutters just don't get rid of enough material.