Upgrading The Shop Tools

RestorationAD

I would say "race ya" but I have no space for a Roubo bench at home and I don't think there is space at the shop where I study either. Well....maybe....

Both the wagon and leg vice can have their threads cut from wood which is particularly appealing. Good mental exercise.

If choosing/making a bench, think of what jobs you'll be using it for in relation to the height.

Also think about clampability.

I recently bought an old style workbench but had to dowel joint some stilts underneath it as I found I was bending over too much. I also found it sucks to clamp things too as it's so big, so I'm still using my other benches for a lot of jobs.

It's got the tool tray down the middle which I find I'm always having to clean as it just keeps getting filled with clutter

I've got four vices in my workshop for different jobs but the two that get the most use are old style ones with timber in the jaws.

• Like 1

I should add that I recently built a trolley with three shelves and two clamp racks which hold 20 clamps (pic on my facebook page) to solve the tools everywhere problem. I can't believe I never built one before, it's so handy!

When I'm fretting I just drag it over to my tool board, load it up with everything I need, then pull it over to where I'm working, when I'm clamping or unclamping I pull it over to my clamping bench and they're all hanging on it ready to go or it's there ready to hang them straight on so the clamps never touch the bench!

RAD good luck on finding the magic combination of tools in the correct spot vs. everything in it's place. I've revamped my shop at least every other year and doing it again. Still nothing that is concrete as far as workability. Each time something has changed that makes for the change, (new tools or tools retired) but it is a constant change.Something never works out. So look ahead and have flexibility in your planning, as you change things. Make your cabinets and shelves easy to move and reconfigure as they will move.

Just my 0.02cents worth from someone doing again.

Mikro I am starting to think you are right. The more I look into revamping the more I start to hate that I have a garage/shop instead of a dedicated shop.

I am thinking that everything is going to be on wheels...

As for the bench I have had several and know what I want to do. I think that is why a step by step is in order as this will be a more Luthier style bench.

• 2 weeks later...

RAD good luck on finding the magic combination of tools in the correct spot vs. everything in it's place. I've revamped my shop at least every other year and doing it again.

I'm guilty of that myself. It's easy to get bogged down with finding the right setup. I'm convinced finding that perfect "feng shui" in the shop is impossible, although I'm getting closer.

I'd love to see a bench tutorial. I have a "winged" outfeed table I designed fot the guitar class that is very functional....I may post some pics of it.

Hmmm. Let me think that one over....yes, I guess you could term it sexy without sounding like some demented perv. That is, as long as you don't use the "demented perv" emoticon.

Haha mines about 3 times the size, is solid carbon steel, has no features other then an adjustable work plate, 2 speeds, and a light fixture. Its also about 40 years old lol. I can never justify buying new tools, so Im just jealous haha

I have been trying to find some OWWM tools but nothing is available...I would love an old Delta or PM but they just aren't around. I am trying to find an old OSS but I might have to just buy a new one. I spent 3 months trying to get my big Jet Belt Sander off craigslist. It was a pain in the arse...

This year I can not afford to wait. I have custom orders to fill sooner than later.

On a good point I have the vises figured out for the Ruobo so hopefully I can get started on that by the end of the year.

On a good point I have the vises figured out for the Ruobo so hopefully I can get started on that by the end of the year.

I have the vises figured out for the Ruobo so hopefully I can get started on that by the end of the year.

so hopefully I can get started on that by the end of the year.

the end of the year.

gallery_5702_872_19796.jpg

Lol, I guess thats a good thing living in the most broke state in the Union. Deals to be had allllll over the place. Local pawnsops are chocked full of awesome tools, and the shop itself isnt doing so well, so I can bring 30 bucks in, and walk out with 500$ in tools sometimes lol.