Searls Guitars Build Thread

demonx

It's been a while since I've done a build thread, so I though I'd post a few pics of what I'm working on at the moment and get one started.

For those of you who don't know me, G'day. I'm Allan, located in Victoria Australia. I'm a hobby builder like you guys but I've been doing it for a while now and have recently registered as a business to keep the tax man happy and stay out of trouble. I build mostly "metal" guitars but occasionally some other styles will sneak through the cracks.

I've just got a new domain/website up this week so if you want to check it out, visit:

www.searlsguitars.com.au

Then theres also my facebook page which I keep up to date the most out of everything:

www.facebook.com/searlsguitars

Ok, so what I've got in the works at the moment is:

These two are in paint stages. At the moment they're in 2k sealer. Sometime next week I'll sand them back and get some clear on them.

An All Aussie timber 8 string neckthru and a Rosewood themed 6 string tele neckthru

483123_377128409035666_499632564_n.jpg

The rear of the tele:

390170_377128985702275_222214295_n.jpg

Another one thats in paint stages at the moment is this lefty SS6. I cannot do any more of the airbrushing until some airbrush parts arrive in the post. I needed to order a new cap and O ring as I ws getting splutter and cannot get the brush close enough to start the freehand detail without making a mess. As soon as the parts arrive I need to get this done, cleared and to the customer.

60706_374616432620197_678247901_n.jpg

Heres the back of the SS6 lefty:

254373_372201772861663_1282938177_n.jpg

Heres the top before the airbrushing (I couldnt talk him into keeping it clear, he wanted the gfx!)

22729_372201712861669_1829225706_n.jpg

Today I was a working on a batch of neck blanks ready for the next series of builds, half are neckthru and half are bolt ons:

Mostly Wenge and Padauk with a touch of Maple

29398_377986472283193_1424315326_n.jpg

292770_377986592283181_1924620133_n.jpg

579097_377986828949824_882038210_n.jpg

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the neck blanks and are envious of that table saw. I don't have room for a "real one" and have to cope with a small hobbyist style table saw.

That isn't a "table saw", it's a "sliding panel scribe saw". Believe it or not there is a difference!

It doesnt get used much at all in guitar building, however for some jobs it is very handy.

Unless you make furniture etc as well as guitars I wouldn't recommend as the money is better spent elsewhere, I tend to find myself making all sorts of things so I do have the need for one occasionally.

Although I have 2 big dogs in mine, So I suppose that kinda evens it all out :party

I usually leave a roller door open when I'm working so my 2 German Shepherds can come and go as they please. I've got a carpeted area in the workshop and more often than not they'll be asleep in there while I'm working. They seem to find their way into a lot of the backgrounds of my build pics!

at what point do you get to be considered "professional"? Lol

It's a good question. Technically I guess the answer would be when you do it for money, but I'm not making enough to earn a living, pay my bills or mortgage, I'm not charging enough for it to be a wage by hour, so I still have a job that pays my bills. I work in a factory as a **** kicker/machine operator/process worker. Depends on the day.

As far as hobby vs professional. A professional would have their process down pat. I'm still trying to find my process. Still changing, evolving and experimenting with my methods and occasionally making stupid beginner mistakes. I'm far from professional, but I'm getting there!

One more question, why are your neck blanks so MASSIVE lol

They're neckthru blanks, so the raw blank has to start thicker than the body thickness AND allow for a neck/body angle. If I wasn't using scarf joints these days the blanks would be even chunkier!

The width on a neckthru blank needs to come close to three inchs wide (my opinion) otherwise the center section to wings timber ratio looks strange. I've made them thinner with my earlier builds before I was putting logos on them (before I was Searls Guitars) and without that width it looks terrible.

I am however hoping to be able to arrange the angle in a manner to remove a couple bolt on blanks from under where the neck will be. I'll have to be careful with my layout but should be able to make it happen.

I want the binding to match the body perfectly - so I cut the binding from the edge of the body!

A few bandsaw cuts later and a bit of drum sanding and then we have a pile of binding. Ash, Wenge and Padauk binding. Not available at a store near you!

1080_378873608861146_375700062_n.jpg

I love the neck sandwiches! Wenge and padauk.. I have a baritone six string in my head with a neck like this. But cutting neck laminates is a pain when the best tool you have is a cheap borrowed rotary saw.. lol.

Do you have a method for the orientation of the pieces that go into the laminates? The padauk on the right looks like you just put wenge strips in the places where you took out the narrow padauk strips, or are you turning the pieces around?

One more question, why are your neck blanks so MASSIVE lol

This pic may help explain.

Once I cut the angles there is not much left.

I have managed to salvage enough under the neck area to make a bolt on blank, but thats about it. The top part might make a few more binding strips.

148172_379263132155527_345455592_n.jpg