Searls Guitars Build Thread

demonx

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries, it looks great. Any significance in that tail number?

SR

Yes, it's his fathers VX number from WWII. Here is a quote from the owner:

He is a big part of my life and we have always known and have been very proud of his achievements in WW2.. He is the only living survivor of the Australian Army's only ever parachute jump into battle. 30 other Aussie's jumped with Dad and thousands of US Airborne in New Guinea.

Another happy customer. Andrew drove from NSW to VIC to pick up this guitar (thats a 20hr round trip) - I'm glad he liked the guitar!

It's always a bit nerve racking when you're having someone pick up a guitar they've seen photos of but havent played yet. You know it's good, they expect it to be the best guitar they've ever played, you just sit there and hope to hell they love it! I'm sure some of you guys here that have been selling know exactly what I'm talking about!

532302_381015178646989_1384898291_n.jpg

Today I found myself in a similar situation to RAD. Questioning my bandsaw.

I recieved the other day a package with some Camphor burl and some beautiful Shedua and Bocote and I just don't trust my bandsaw to bookmatch it, so I enlisted the help of a local luthier with a much more worthy bandsaw.

Enter Master Luthier (and I don't use those terms often) Sandy Richards of Richards Guitars (check out his website: http://www.richardsguitars.com.au/)

IMG_4167small.jpg

I've had a very busy day... TWO happy customers!

#1 Warbird got it's approval today:

305963_383038415111332_612188996_n.jpg

The second guitar was a bolt on blackwood/clear timber thing that I freighted a few days ago to its new owner and I recieved tonight a very cool email saying how much he likes it and how it's better than some other USA custom he's recently bought. Good feedback is always great to hear!

Heres a couple more pics I tool today of the Warbird SS6

IMG_4182SMALL.jpg

IMG_4196small.jpg

IMG_4200small.jpg

IMG_4207small.jpg

IMG_4203small.jpg

IMG_4212small.jpg

IMG_4218small.jpg

Not exactly guitar related, but I just finished installing this wood heater in the workshop. No more cold winters! Pitty we've been having 37 degree celcius days or I'd crank it, but I guess summer is the cheapest time to buy a heater!

Now I justr have to wait till winter to find a cheap airconditioner!

974_385601578188349_1923347244_n.jpg

Please..last summer we went to 110 and higher...in celsius that is 43 and higher and celsius

I live in Australia - you dont want to compete in hot weather stakes!! The 37 celcius I speak of was this week and it's not even summer yet (or it's just started). It's been raining here this week. Stormy weather and floods this week. Our hot weather season is not upon us yet! Give it another month and I'd not be surprised to be getting 47 degree days and me pulling sickies from work to sit in with the aircon! On top of thatr I odon't even live in the hot parts of Australia. I live down south where we get the cooler weather! Bugger living up north or out west.

Oh yeah!

The average recorded temperature of Ethiopia has consistently been the highest, making it the hottest country on the planet. Ethiopia is a landlocked country in Africa, and it also happens to be the second most populated country on the continent. The average recorded temperature in Ethiopia has been around 34.4° Celsius (or 94° Fahrenheit). This 'fiery' land may actually be the birthplace of all mankind, as archaeologists believe that this is the country where the first humans walked the Earth.

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hottest-country-in-the-world.html

But Australia is not as hot as the U.S. according to this

Temperature Country Place 57.8C/136F Al 'Aziziyah 56.7C/134F Death Valley, California 53.9C/129F Tirat Tsvi 53.5C/128.3F Mohenjo-daro, Sindh province 53.3C/127.9F Mitribah 53C/127.4F Dehloran, Ilam Province 53C/127.4F Nasiriyah 52C/125.6F Mexicali Agricultural Station, Baja California 52C/125.6F Jeddah Airport 51.7C/125.1F Kalahari near Upington 51.1C/124F Deir Alla 50.8C/123.4F Sohar Majis 50.7C/123.2F Oodnadatta, South Australia 50.6C/123.1F Batna, Batna Province 50.6C/123.1F Alwar, Rajasthan 50.4C/122.7F Doha International Airport 50.3C/122.5F Kharga 50.3C/122.5F Abu Dhabi Temperature Country Place 50.2C/122.4F Aydingkol, Xinjiang 50.1C/122.2F Al-Burmah 50.1C/122.2F Repetek Reserve 50C/122F Akjoujt, Inchiri region 49.9C/121.8F Farah 49.7C/121.5F Dongola 49.7C/121.5F Mashikuduk 49.1C/120.4F Villa de María 49.1C/120.4F Turkestan 49.1C/120.4F Agadir Airport 48.9C/120F Dallol, Afar region 48.8C/119.8F Matam 48.8C/119.8F Mardin 48.5C/119.3F Catenanuova, Sicily 48.2C/118.7F Gao 48.2C/118.7F Bilma Agadez 48C/118.4F Athens 48C/118.4F Panji-Poyon

But anyway,none of that matters...Central Texas is really hot every summer..but not normally above 110 F...a few years ago we did have a summer temp of 124F...but the kicker is that the humidity is also very high...

Ya'll have these?

Giant-Armadillo.jpg

Back on topic!

I haven't got much guitar work done the last couple weeks, so when I finally got these boards cut, bound and drum sanded it felt like a major accomplishment!

IMG_4269small.jpg

Also today, being my "guitar day off" I made this sign for my workshop. A bit of MDF and left over white house paint from when I painted some doors a while back, then the dregs of a black rattle can. Some time on front of the band saw and we have this - which you'll possibly see in the background of my future pics:

IMG_4273small.jpg

Please..last summer we went to 110 and higher...in celsius that is 43 and higher and celsius

I live in Australia - you dont want to compete in hot weather stakes!! The 37 celcius I speak of was this week and it's not even summer yet (or it's just started). It's been raining here this week. Stormy weather and floods this week. Our hot weather season is not upon us yet! Give it another month and I'd not be surprised to be getting 47 degree days and me pulling sickies from work to sit in with the aircon! On top of thatr I odon't even live in the hot parts of Australia. I live down south where we get the cooler weather! Bugger living up north or out west.

There are 2 places where i have lived that have made me wanted to shoot me in the balls because of the heat. One is where i am from and where i have lived most of my life, Ciudad Ojeda, Zulia state in Venezuela, South America.

40 degrees everyday...all year round. Top it off with a humidity above 75%.

The other place is Seville, Spain, during the summer it's awful. The rest of the year is ok, but seeing your thermometer at 58 degrees, and not having air conditioners because electricity is so expensive...

Worst thing is that i will move there this year. I am NOT looking forward to be there during the summer. I should head to Australia or Argentina...

On the guitars, i am loving them, Allan! The warbird is INCREDIBLE. The all mahogany one is beautiful too.

You're building very good looking and sounding instruments, they all exude quality.

Today was a scarf joint day. I've only enough good quality clamps for the three neckthrus - tomorrow I'll cut and clamp the three bolt ons that are in this batch. I have several cheap clamps but I don't use them anymore. More trouble than they're worth.

IMG_4278small.jpg

Also today in the mail arrived my small gold logos I've been waiting on. The two guitars I have in paint stages have been held back at least a month due to this delay. Looks like I'll be painting this week at some stage.

Headstock decals:

IMG_4279small.jpg

The last time I sprayed a burst, I did the entire thing with the airbrush and found it took a lot of time to do the outside (sides) if I wanted it at 100%

So I went back to the way I did my first ever burst - taping up the top and rear then spraying the sides with a touch up gun (a mini spray gun).

Tomorrow when I get time I'll break out the airbrush and then come in and do the burst. The airbrush allows me more control that trying to burst thin areas like the headstock and neck with a spray gun. But hitting it first like this has saved me ages of work on the airbrush.

IMG_4284small.jpg

Then after with the tape removed:

IMG_4286small.jpg