King Of Diamonds / Jack Of Spades / Queen Of Hearts (The Royal)

Fantastic concept! I might add that the bridge looks a little too "bright"? Perhaps a black bridge with chrome posts or vice versa?

I'd like to see how you're planning the fingerboard and truss rod....unless you have the hand inlaying chops I would heartily (no joke intended) recommend Huntindoug's services. Solid red and gold with a pearlescent silver would be unreal!

Itching to see more.

What material are you using for the black? It looks suspiciously like Paperstone or a similar phenolic! Is there some kind of backing paper behind the routed inlay in the second picture? I'm having trouble working out what the reflective material is. I presume that you elected to "re-inlay" Maple to stain them yellow away from the top rather than leaving it in place?

This build is a treat to watch develop.

What material are you using for the black? It looks suspiciously like Paperstone or a similar phenolic! Is there some kind of backing paper behind the routed inlay in the second picture? I'm having trouble working out what the reflective material is. I presume that you elected to "re-inlay" Maple to stain them yellow away from the top rather than leaving it in place?

This build is a treat to watch develop.

the black and red material is an acrylic. when buffed, it has a glossy look. no paper backing. and, yes, the maple is stained yellow

This will be a beautiful and impressive guitar. And the Shopbot would make a very appropriate Christmas gift for me.

What model do you have? (for my wish list)

my partner in crime is Aaron VanWhy (inlay artist). we are collaborating on this project. here is his website with shopbot info.

http://www.vanwhyinlay.com/shopbot.html

• 2 weeks later...
Neck is not attached. Just placed for pictures.

Do I detect a desert-dry sense of humour here? :D

Wow, the inlay work messes with my eyes! It looks Photoshopped over, however I know full well it is not. Does it looks like that in real life? Classic playing card graphics are a fantastic choice and suit inlay work really well due to their three-colour (I think) design. Choosing a strategy for inlaying reminds me somewhat of the skills of a tattooist in creating a design that suits the medium and method. That pearlessence in the place of white really lends a lot to the look.

Blown away, truly. :blink: