Voting In The Put It To A Vote Section

ProjectGuitar.com

We are sorry to say but in the past few months there has been a spike in new membership of the forum for what is believed to be the wrong reason.

Voting in this area is restricted now to forum members which are actively participating in the forum itself.

Basically what that means is if you have fewer then 10 valid post's under your belt you will not be able to vote in the poll's such as Guitar of the Month or any other subjects you may have an opinion on that are up for a vote and important to you.

Were just trying to keep the poll's and voting as honest as possible without having anyone upset all of the regular members by slamming a vote using all of their non-guitar enthusiast friends coming over just to vote from place's such as Facebook

• Like 2

I reckon 50 posts would be more reasonable. It's easy for a fake ID to come in and make 10 posts, but 50 or 100 will easily become obvious its a post spam account. Anyone who's a genuine member here will easily make 50 or 100 posts by participating in the forum. Many guitar forums have a minimum 50 post count to be able to list something for sale. I guess this is similar.

• Like 1

I do agree it should be more than 10, but perhaps 50 is a bit much, I only have 25 posts but I'm on here all the time, I just don't have much knowledge to share because I'm a new builder, and most of my questions so far have been answered by searching the forum. Plus I don't really like spamming up build threads saying something looks cool all the time (unless it's extra cool lol).

50 works for me.

I hate that long time lurkers can not vote as I was a lurker for about a year before I started posting. I have a few friends that spend almost as much time on the site as I do that like to vote. However I would rather this thing be fair... plus lurkers can always ask questions. I like answering them in my threads (gives me something to do in meetings)...

The situation with vote faking will be monitored, however 10 is a sensible maximum without pushing GOTM to being a "elite regulars only" as this is also quite deleterious. There are many members who rarely post and we would not want to forcibly have to exclude their (otherwise quiet) voices from voting in GOTM.

Like most forums we see a large number of spambots hammering the registration system daily. In the same manner, fake and duplicate accounts coming from the same IP blocks are easy to investigate so bump posting to hit that magic 10 are easily trapped. On that basis, the number of required posts could actually be lowered to 5 however we will see how things transpire.

Thanks for your input guys.

I still think 50 is fair. If it were "elitist" as suggested it'd be 1000 posts - 50 is not unreasonable.

About the IP thing you say making it easy to spot multiple accounts that way. Doesn't work like that. In the old days yes, these days no. If a person logs in on a mobile device, it's a different IP every time I've been told (when we were having problems with another forum). So you cannot track or rely on that. It's also way too easy these days to surf the net under a false IP. Theres websites dedicated to assisting the noob to do this. Another thing I learned whilst having trouble running another forum.

The simplest measure is to make it a higher post count.

Since the count has been bumped to 10 there's already been a few simple/spam posts going on. 10 is easily achievable. 50 is a lot of effort and not as easy to hide.

I think you'll have to remember that there is also a time barrier that new members have to put up with as far as posting. We put that in a long time ago to curb flaming post's. They have to wait for time to pass between post's.

It's also there to prevent messenger spamming, remember when we had a problem with new members joining just to spam everyone's PM box?

10 seems to work fine and a new member can make his or her post count even in the off topics section........