Scrap Build Sg

I've been working on this for a while. It looks really messy at this point, hopefully it'll look better as I get everything dialed in.

So I have these 2 really pretty pieces of limba that aren't wide enough to make a body (I guess I could make a 3 piece body if I had 3) so I decided that it would be a good excuse to do a scrap build with some other limba & paduak offcuts (the only thing that wasn't a scrap is the fretboard).

I don't think I realized when I started this how much a pain a project w/ this many laminations (& all the grain direction changes at every joint) is when your main tools are a No 6 jointer, a No 151 spokeshave, miniplanes, & scalpels.

3 pieces of limba already glued up, gluing on 3/8" paduak "stringers," to build up the width

tumblr_megzr4qfe71r80ikgo1_1280.jpg

glued together

tumblr_megzr4qfe71r80ikgo2_1280.jpg

from the side, neck profile cut out & angled back

tumblr_megzr4qfe71r80ikgo3_1280.jpg

3/8" routed out for the top

tumblr_megzr4qfe71r80ikgo6_1280.jpg

mock up w/ the top on (the top is a 3/8" slice off one of the wings). I don't know I'm not really in love w/ the 3 piece top, maybe I shouldn't have capped the neck (in fact I wouldn't have if it hadn't been such an unusually wide neck because of the not-really-wide-enough wings)

tumblr_megzr4qfe71r80ikgo5_1280.jpg

Mock up w/ the angled shim, & headstock joint angle roughed in

tumblr_megzr4qfe71r80ikgo7_1280.jpg

headstock glued together from 2 flatsawn scraps & paduak accent/reinforcement glued on

tumblr_megzr4qfe71r80ikgo8_1280.jpg

oversized headstock blank messily glued in place

tumblr_megzr4qfe71r80ikgo9_1280.jpg

mock up w/ the headstock cleaned up, headstock veneer slip matched & rough cut

tumblr_megzx1qpNK1r80ikgo3_1280.jpg

from the side

tumblr_megzx1qpNK1r80ikgo2_1280.jpg

Truss rod slot routed (WD double extending), gluing on the fretboard, one side of clamps on, one to go

tumblr_megzx1qpNK1r80ikgo5_1280.jpg

I had some trouble routing the binding channel on the headstock, I think the brushes are fried on my cheapo 220v router, anyone have any experience w/ these? I have no idea where to get a set of knockoff dremel brushes (also one of the caps that holds them in place is cracked).

tumblr_megzx1qpNK1r80ikgo6_1280.jpg

closeup

tumblr_megzx1qpNK1r80ikgo7_1280.jpg

neck rough cut out

tumblr_megzx1qpNK1r80ikgo10_1280.jpg

fast forward a bit, sides & neck jointed, glued together, shape coping sawed (sawn?) out, outline mostly dialed in (other than the cutaways), neck rounded but not really carved yet, started carving the heel in, back cut roughed

tumblr_megzx1qpNK1r80ikgo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_megzx1qpNK1r80ikgo8_1280.jpg

Good to see you making a build thread here mate.

This is very reminiscent of my very first guitars, following the old Mexican Method and using stuff all tools and zero templates!

To anyone not familiar with the Mexican Method. Dont bother researching it, the jyst of it is a large block of wood and a carving knife and start carving till a guitar pops out! The old mexicans are some of the best luthiers in the world!

Cant wait to see the finished product.

That's a lot of work with very few tools. Anyone that cuts a body out with a coping saw has got my respect. Your colors are very nicely balanced and look good together.

This is a nice start--do carry on.

SR

Thanx, every cut on this was done w/a coping saw except for the headstock scarf which was leveled w/a rip saw, & the slice for the top which was cut from both sides w/ a table saw, then leveled w/ my No 6. I really want to upgrade to one of these (god knows I use it enough), but $. Maybe after I get those palm gouges you recommended, & a ryoba.

That looks nice. I lke the fretboard end.

Thanx, it's not hard to do, just a little extra work w/ binding & cleaning up the shim. If you are going to do it & bind it, you should save the offcut to use as a caul for the binding.

Good to see you making a build thread here mate.

This is very reminiscent of my very first guitars, following the old Mexican Method and using stuff all tools and zero templates!

To anyone not familiar with the Mexican Method. Dont bother researching it, the jyst of it is a large block of wood and a carving knife and start carving till a guitar pops out! The old mexicans are some of the best luthiers in the world!

Cant wait to see the finished product.

Sounds about right. The Mexican Method is also sometimes called the Paracho Method (which makes sense since it's the guitar capital of Mexico), Thanx.

• 1 month later...

Got the inlays in from Andy DePaule, I was a little worried that there wouldn't be enough contrast, but that's apparently not a problem. I guess it's time to radius the board so that I can inlay these, but they look pretty good just sitting on top:

tumblr_mhgm0bTbYO1r80ikgo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mhgm0bTbYO1r80ikgo1_1280.jpg

I like them, but do you guys think the lotus flowers are too girly?

Edited by YetzerHarah

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the 9th fret I tried a different way of marking it, & well I should have known well enough to try it on scrap first. Back to just drawing around the inlay with a sharp pencil. Anyway, I feel like throwing the whole thing in the fire, but I doubt that'll happen...tumblr_mk9utcpn1l1r80ikgo2_1280.jpgtumblr_mk9utcpn1l1r80ikgo1_1280.jpg

Edited by YetzerHarah

I honestly don't see anything standing up and jumping around trying to get noticed here. Not for being fouled up anyway. If I squint and hold my head crooked, I might be able to convince myself some of them are a hair off center, but that could just as easily be camara angle.

What's bugging you about it?

SR

When we build these little babies we are intimately aware of every tiny flaw, 99% of which no one else will ever find. We make these little errors to be inspiration and incentive for improvement on the next build. And there will always be a next build and it will always come with some pre-inspired incentive.

I think adding some petals to those last three fret markers is a good idea.

SR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

tumblr_mmr9muv7B21r80ikgo2_1280.jpgtumblr_mmr9muv7B21r80ikgo3_1280.jpgtumblr_mmr9muv7B21r80ikgo1_1280.jpgfretted->milled->beveled->leveled->crowned->polished

I guess I have to make up my mind on the electronics now so I can do the routing. I wanted to a p90 sized humbucker in the bridge & p90s in the middle and neck controlled by a Free-Way Switch, acting as if the 2 p90s are one humbucker, but reading the reviews I'm more than a little paranoid about using that switch. I guess I could do the same idea and just use a rotary switch. Or I could just do a p90 sized humbucker in the bridge w/ a push pull coil split on the volume & then just a p90 in the neck. I don't know. Suggestions?