Little Devil Project

Hi,

so this is my first post and i thought i'd show you what i've been up to. So it's taken a while to get to where i am i started making the guitar neck when i was 15 and its only recently got anywhere near finished although i did have it on an old strat body for a while to test it. But it has been around 15 years later that i've got round to actually making it a body to go with.

So a couple of months ago (when there was actually some kind of sun in the sky) i began 'the little devil'

so she started like this

little_devil_1.jpg

Just a couple of lumps of what i think is mahogany of some sort, which i then glued together...

which i then drew round a strat body to give me a starting point and then modified to a shape i wanted.

little_devil_2.jpg

I wanted it to be more 'pointy' than a strat and be slightly different to other guitar shapes so i drew the above and started cutting with the jigsaw. I haven't seen anything identical to this shape so i am hoping it is mine and is the reason i've named it the 'little devil' as it has horns.

So with more cutting and a bit of routing we get to this

little_devil_3.jpg

here's the back with the recess routed for the bridge tremelo springs.

little_devil_4.jpg

and the front with the routings for the 2 single 1 humbucker config.

little_devil_5.jpg

n.b. jack socket is not going there its just on top. Bought chrome surrounds for the pickup holes are they are front loaded and i don't want a scratch plate

Although i like the sharp edges they would get damaged so quick that i rounded off the edges

little_devil_8.jpg

And now i'm ready to paint. It's going to be as high a gloss as i can clear cellulose finish to show the grain.

hopefully haven't bored you too much and i hope you like it :)

will try and post some neck pics too.

thanks glad you like it :)

yeah the lip on the horns was a bit of an evolution as i was building it. I didn't want to cut too much away from around the neck support but i wanted to get the front to be a single curve. I found myself liking it more and more so i left it. I am hoping it will just be a little feature unique to my guitar. you can't see it on these pics but the back of that area is smooth and then goes into the sharper edge of the lip. I just like the way it changes.

I was originally going to cut the bottom of the body out as a curve where the button goes to be a bit different and get small horns on that end too but not going to do that now. maybe next time.

looking forward to a bit of dry weather to start painting!

And here's the neck which i started a loooong time ago (about 15 years or so) which was my first attempt at this kind of thing. It's mahogany with some kind of unknown white wood fretboard. truss rodded from the rear with a strip of beech to fill the gap (which you can see in this pic).

I didn't have a fender headstock to copy so this is my guess at one which i remember using a fish flakes tub to do the end circle.

Carved this with a draw blade that my dad made out of an old file with welded on handles which always worked brilliantly.

little_devil_11.jpg