Need To Make Money: Don't Know Where To Start

AKan

Hahaha....totally....

Talking of re-reading the first post, I answered it very specifically.

"You won't make any money quickly unless you rob customers, put out substandard work, rush your jobs, cut corners or a combination of these".

This is the only way of doing things to specifically achieve his aim in that timeframe. I in no way condone this, however this is the reality. Making quick bucks will involve daylight robbery or streetwalking.

I might add that I am not making any money from guitar-related stuff. This is not through a lack of trying, it is because I believe that my work standards are not of a level which true professional repair requires. I don't even want to go there to be fair....

• Like 1

I've sold a few commissioned builds and bodies/necks. The pieces where I make the most money is on the parts but I'm still not at a break even point when I take into account the investment in tooling. tooling wear and tear and supplies.

I'm just happy that I can eventually break even and to have happy customers.

The completed builds don't bring in as much money. The last one I sold was a very nice piece and it sold for $750.00, after all fees and whatnot. The guy paid around $850.00. It was a thinline Tele with binding and nice MOP inlays. I hope that the two I'm working on now will bring in a little more. Fact is, if you're unknown or a small shop, completed build don't make money. I have sold others for more than that, obviously, but its a tough market and you have to be very patient.

For me, repair work, whether it be guitars or amps, its too much time and is not worthwhile IMO. You have to meet the person, they want to chat, you do the repair, then the customer wants to exchange emails with you, you finish the work, meet the person again, they'll want to chat some more... not worth it. I'll only do repair if someone absolutely wants me to do the work. These days, I just say no unless the person is in a bad situation.

NO NO NO

Please dont advertise yourself until you are confident you can accept, and excel, in every aspect of the repairs you are offering. Otherwise, it's commercial suicide. You'll be dealing with people's prized possessions, and they get pretty upset if something comes back with excuses or sloppy work.

Calm down ,your highness.

If you re-read the first post- he's already been repairing and flipping guitars. He asked how to "make some money" not start a guitar building business.

Yep, I see that, but I was responding to you :) And that's exactly what you've suggested he do: ""You can start by placing local ads and doing repair work""

I advised him to take "your" advice, along with other successful people- but he HAS to start somewhere. You have your opinion, and I have mine.- obviously- you are the better builder/businessman- I'm not arguing that. But to tell him to "stay hidden until you're awesome" is kinda wrong to what he's asking which was "how do I make some money" ......

You make money by making yourself available- The long-term consequences of that are many, and varied.

What's wrong with getting a job that pays immediately, and refining your skills on guitars/woodwork/electronics over the years like we all had to do? You get the cashflow now, and build up the skills and reputation during 'hobby time'. Im not saying 'dont buy, fix and flip'. Im saying 'dont advertise that you are a repairer/builder'.

I have seen a LOT of guys come and go, leaving a trail of destruction behind them, as "clients" pay them to practise and learn on their guitars. There is a new one on facebook right now, actively advertising he is a custom luthier, and can do anything. He shows off one respray, that looks like it was painted with a used tissue. But the prices are cheap, so it sucks in guys that can't afford any more. They aren't buying a bargain, they are buying a problem.

If we need one prime example of someone like that, may I remind you of "litchield custom gutars".

• Like 1

Why doesn't this kid just start a build thread on here and we'll see what he's made of.

Then we'll go back to the GET A BLOODY JOB advice as even if he's a a freakishly gifted luthier prodigy, he needs a freaking job to establish any future. Maybe is he actually tries building guitars this fantasy he's built up in his head might fall apart pretty quick.

Sure in the original post he has said he's been building, but from my experiences most kids think building is buying a body and neck off ebay and screwing some parts into it and their idea of a repeair is adjusting the pickup height! So really - we need to establish a skill base here and then we can comment further. Until then, get a job is my advice! Has anyone said that yet?

Every time I finish a project and show some pics to my Dad he says, "Why aren't you selling them??!" I smile, knowing that there are probably 14 guitars for every human on this earth already made. :)

Some one once told me this and it turned out to be true. "The best way to ruin a good hobby is to try and make a living with it"

Every time I finish a project and show some pics to my Dad he says, "Why aren't you selling them??!" I smile, knowing that there are probably 14 guitars for every human on this earth already made. :)

Some one once told me this and it turned out to be true. "The best way to ruin a good hobby is to try and make a living with it"

Very true. Halfway through last year I began doing other work on the side for some steady income (pedicab!) because I was tired of living like a starving artist. Once I began with that distraction, I significantly neglected my guitars until late last month. I realized that I was just burnt out on building guitars, dealing with clients, trying to make sales and get noticed, etc.. Trying to live off that for a few years wore me down and I needed a break. What used to be my obsession became something I actually tried to block from my mind.

It's still my obsession and I'm back at it now. No matter how much you love your work, you can still get worn down by it and not want to even think about it. That break saved my sanity. Had I kept going, I would have probably began hating it. I wouldn't even know what to do then.

Note: It's not the guitars I got tired of, but trying to make my passion a business. It can suck the life out of you if you're not careful.

Edited by NotYou

Partially untrue. You'll find that a great many people whose "hobbies" have transitioned naturally into profitable ventures continue to enjoy them. I say "partially" as you are correct that people who deliberately push that hobby to make money will indeed ruin it.

If I am right in thinking is this how your work developed and blossomed, Perry?

The most untrue part of it is that it is not the best way to ruin a hobby. The best way is to make it popular on facebook amongst teenagers. Kind of like how YouTube was ruined.

Partially untrue. You'll find that a great many people whose "hobbies" have transitioned naturally into profitable ventures continue to enjoy them. I say "partially" as you are correct that people who deliberately push that hobby to make money will indeed ruin it.

That's the truth right there. Push something that isn't quite right, and it breaks.

If I am right in thinking is this how your work developed and blossomed, Perry?

I still think this is a hobby I really love. I just happen to be paid well :)

The OP hasn't been active since the 13th and has only made two posts, both of which were in the first comments of this thread. More than likely he has disappeared since we didn't tell him how to make quick bucks (actually I did - "steal it and cheat people") or we have been trolled. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your advice. I forgot I even posted this for some reason (probably because of midterms). I threw together a small album of some of my guitars in case all of you want to see (I didn't included the guitars I have repaired because most of them are sold). Just to clarify, I have no intention of trying to make a living out of my hobby at the moment. All I really want to do is maybe sell a guitar or two, or even just build a few necks/bodies to sell for some extra cash instead of, you know, actually doing any real work. Thanks again.

http://s1222.beta.photobucket.com/user/aik500000/library/Guitars

Some of the guitars look a bit rough; I have been using the dark red one heavily (My luck that the ugly one sounds the best), so it is pretty beaten up, and the "sg" styled guitar was the first I ever attempted, so that one is definitely rough around the edges and in no condition to sell.

Additionally, I wind/pot all of my own single coil pickups (still trying my luck at winding humbuckers), and so far they sound far superior to anything else I have tried.

Selling what you have is a completely different matter. Just learn from the horrorshow mistakes other hopefuls have made and do not label them as "pro luthier", "professional" or anything of that ilk. You will find that you'll make less money than you put into the instruments purely because that is the level you are playing at. I am at that same level also, however I build for myself rather than with the intention of selling.

There is no extra cash there to be had. You would have more luck buying and selling on eBay, Craigslist, etc. If you are competent then you might find work with setups and basic repairs, however you should not be doing this for any form of profit unless you are insured. One mistake and you could find yourself in a bad bad place.

Concentrate on your midterms because you really do not need to be putting time into trying to generate some extra cash right now.