Guitar Of The Month For February

Guitar of the Month for February  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only a couple entries, I assume because its been the xmas period and everyone has been busy with family things and not finishing up guitars.

Either way, my opinion both these 8 strings are brilliant.

CROW: Even though I'm not a big fan of multiscale guitars, this one looks classy. I love black quilts and the simplicity of it just works so well. Nothing is overdone, yet theres a lot of skilled craftmanship and detailed planning needed to pull it off. Great wood combos, great carve. Overall great guitar with a vibe that reminds me a lot of the guitars coming from Europe these days. If I had to pick one this I disslike it'd be the headstock shape, but I know this sort of styling is popular at the moment so don't listen to me. I get told I'm still stuck in the 80's!

CURTISA: Very nice looking guitar. The Vic Ash body is gutsy as its a shitty timber to work with. Chips out easy, splits easy, massive grain to try fill, its just a horrible timber, so hat off for using it. Every time I touch the stuff I say "never again"!! I've been wanting to work with Myrtle for quite a while now and your display here is only feeding the fire. The top looks excellent. The whole build looks very clean and has a ibanez kind of vibe, but I like this and hate ibanez! Great neutral color combos. Its passive in contrast but not enough to be boring. It's not in your face, its restrained. If I had to pick something I dissliked, I'd have to say the headstock. Not my tastes, but same as I said to Crow, don't listen to me!

Darkhorse - the headstock looks great, that decal really caps it off, the non parallel Floyd is playing havoc with my OCD though. Love the crisp edges.

Monster - Mushuggah machine, attention grabbing top, tough as nails and beautifully crafted.

Solstice - my fave this month by a nose, that Tassie myrtle is making me green with envy, the headstock looks supercool, and the overall look is creamy.

Demonx - beautiful work as always. Really like the sculpting around the neck/body join, has a Stephens extended cutaway look about it without infringing on the look of the tele body shape, and the sheer number of pieces used in the neck scarf has to be a record! Fantastic.

Crow - a real stunner. Really liking the combination of the angular look of the fanned frets and the smooth contours of the PRS-inspired body shape. Looking at this only reinforces my wish to one day try my hand at a multiscale instrument. Incredible work.

Thanks for the kind words, Demonx and Muzz. I agree that the Vic ash was more difficult to work with than some of the other timbers I've used, but by and large it didn't give me too much trouble. Maybe I got lucky with the piece I had? And yes, you definitely have to try Tas myrtle one day. Really easy to work with and so much variety in colour and figure.

I'm kinda glad I can longer vote due to my post count because I can't pick from these three! All really excellent.

Edit: Oh, I can vote just not from my phone, oh dear here goes lol

demonx, I'm in love with that rosewood, the grain is so straight and tight. the overall use of laminates in this build is stunning, something that really appeals to me.

crow and curtisa, I'm a huge fan of 8 strings, something about the wide necks that really makes a guitar balance visually in my opinion, they look full and meaningful, and on some 6ers I think the hardware can look lost within the body.

Crow, the smoky charcoal colour is my favourite for a good quilt top and the pickups look fantastic.

Curtisa your choice of woods is very nice, love the little touches like the faux binding that comes from the carve and the fretboard inlays.

Good lord!

If there was ever a month when every entry deserved to win this is it. Shame there is only three to choose from, but I honestly think these three scared off any other potential entries.

I think every single one is outstanding. The quilt treatment on Crow's has fascinated me since he first posted it and that tipped it over the edge for me.

I predict this will be the closest race ever.

SR

Three fantastic entrants this month. Curtisa got my vote purely because every square inch of that guitar is perfect. Every instrument I see you finish Allan, I see you getting better and better every time. This is no exception. Beautiful carved top, Crow.

I can see this one being somewhat of a close run contest.

Excellent to see voting equally divided this month. All I can hope for is a 3-way tie. You all deserve it.

If there is evidence of vote tampering as you called it, make this a invalid month. Then make an example of them. This is a small friendly forum, there's no prize money to be won and no need to cheat. Just delete the thread.