Shopping: Drill Press (Eu)

pan_kara

I think I nearly decided that I will need to get a drill press for the next round of builds - I managed to loosen the bearings on my cheapo Bosch drill that I was using in a drill stand through too much robosanding - still works, but I need something quieter and more reliable.

Initially I was thinking of getting a good quality drill but I figured for the same amount of money I could just get a decent drill press and keep using the old one for the handheld jobs.

Looking around whats available in the EU I'm leaning towards this one:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-wd16b-pillar-drill-prod725428/

I'm planning to use this mainly for:

- the usual drilling jobs: tuner holes, string through (I need to check the throat depth vs my body shape template to make sure its enough), etc

- forstner bit action (cavities, neck pocket etc)

- robosanding body edges and thicknessing fingerboards/necks

any suggestions on this? Is this overkill? Or maybe not good enough? Other options?

Thanks!

I was lucky enough to get the floor standing version of this pillar drill when it was on offer in the clearance section. I'm happy with it, and it was the best I could find for the price with a deep enough throat for guitar building. For hobby use they're great, but keep in mind that no pillar drill is made to withstand sideways forces e.g robosanding, however I don't think the bearings would give up any time soon unless you did a lot of it under real force.

Thanks Shelvock

They have the floor standing one even cheaper now, but I don't think I have a place to put it in my workshop which is moving between my ktichen, living room and balcony <_<

I'm currently using my drill with wobbly chuck for sanding by putting the bottom part of the robosander (the threaded part that's sticking out) in a ball bearing that I fix to the base. This is working pretty well as a temporary solution, and I intend to do something along the same lines with my next setup (i.e. the drill press).

I got a lot of tools from the UK, the prices are better, but this time the shipping killed me (for some of the luthier-specific shops I had the same problem). So looks like I'll have to spend a bit more on the drill itself but less in total :P

Seems like the best option is this:

http://www.hmdiffusion.com/Perceuse-a-colonne-d-etabli-Leman-PRE023-11-19832-p.htm

at least it has good throat depth and I found a store that ships for free in France.

Some people in forums say that these should be better quality

http://www.optimum-machines.com/products/drilling-machines/b-17-pro-b-23-pro-b-26-pro-b-33-pro/index.html

but the small one that's within my price range (barely) has only 152 throat... too small I guess.