Got The Template Blues?

jessejames

I had some old templates that were made out of lexan, but the bit used to get hot and melt and instantly ruin the templates. This time, I had them made out of 10 gauge steel. I can use them to help press the top to the body. And, the bit will never get hot and these should never wear out. I had these water jetted out. Finally a cure to my template blues!

DSC03928_zps79de88a1.jpg

No offense, but I think is is HUGE overkill. Like Wes pointed out, there are potential hazards with using this as a material for templates. Also, the added weight probably makes them a little more difficult to handle, thus causing more risk. Also, I can't imagine what you paid to have is done... Why not MDF and hardboard? Doesn't melt, tends to work for most of us?

Chris

Well,in a perfect world you would never accidentally hit the steel template with a bit,but if you never accidentally hit your template you would have no need for steel.

See the problem?

BTW I only ever had lexan melt if a bearing seized up against it or I used a bit without a bearing...so these days "if" I am using a lexan template I keep a careful eye on the bearing to make sure it is not spinning against the lexan and I don't actually follow the template around the edge until I have already routed as much of the middle as I can without touching the template to keep friction down

• Like 1

I agree that steel templates have no place in everyday use. I would not want to be there when you hit one with a router bit.

However using them as the master setup templates and maybe to check your disposable MDF templates makes some sense. Still not keen on trusting a bearing to ride on 1/8" steel.... 1/4" maybe.

Before the CNC I always had 2 sets of templates. The master templates and the disposable MDF templates. On a regular basis I would lose or damage the MDF templates... get tired of making new templates and just use the master for a "real quick" route. That is when inevitably I would have a slip and damage the master template...

Then I bought a CNC and used it to make master setup templates.

The CNC makes mistakes right on the workpiece so I no longer need disposable MDF templates.

As for Huff. He has been banned from more forums than I have ever joined and might not be the best example of how to do things. I like him and he has always been cool to me but his methods are his own.

The CNC makes mistakes right on the workpiece so I no longer need disposable MDF templates.

<_<

As for Huff. He has been banned from more forums than I have ever joined and might not be the best example of how to do things. I like him and he has always been cool to me but his methods are his own.

Methinks my sarcasm may have been too subtle.......

SR

On Huf

Let's not go there.He was here,then he left of his own accord.I am not a fan because I personally experienced his skewed(IMO) point of view,but trashing him in his absence is unnecessary.He is no Litchfield that people need to be warned away from.

I find myself wanting to say bad things,but like I say,he is not here and it's against the spirit of the forum(or something).. :P

Wes just likes to dangle his unmentionables out of the car window waiting for somebody to complain about it. <_<

Patrick was in no way a maligned person in my opinion. I'll certainly go for a beer or two with him next time we pass through Switzerland.