Robbins Guitars Thread

Hey guys I have about five builds going at the moment that I would like to show you but it would been unnecessary to clutter the forum with a thread for each. Instead I thought it would be better to put all my stuff in one spot like a few others have done. I will also continue builds from other threads here.

Here are a few builds I have been working on. The one with the laminated body is particularly special to me because it is being built for my dad. It will include a 58 piece inlay on the back of his snake tattoo that he got in memory of his own father.

sappelli body and neck with curly maple cross laminations!

DSC00941_zps507b554b.jpg

DSC00942_zps9d061b03.jpg

DSC00956_zps00af2d04.jpg

DSC00960_zps530f7a8f.jpg

DSC01111_zps1b67ffae.jpg

DSC01112_zpsbfd6f73d.jpg

DSC01113_zps70d1136b.jpg

korina body, myrtle wood top, paduak fb

DSC00949_zps388853ab.jpg

DSC00954_zps19a1b041.jpg

DSC00955_zpsd9dc781e.jpg

DSC00953_zps1c92ded7.jpg

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Scott! To be honest with you I dont know what kind of wood it is :blink:

I was at my local lumber supplier and saw a sheet of it on a table, it varied in thickness and was about 1/8" at its thickest point. They lady had no use for it and gave it to me for nothin! Not a bad find

That inlay looks pretty cool!

I also agree about the one thread for everything thing. Its a good idea. For the members who are building and doing other related things regualry theres no point having dozens of different threads which just creates clutter as you called it. For example if you include the couple refurbs I've got at the moment there is about eight or so guitars in the workshop at the moment, theres no need for eight or so threads when they can be bundled into one and keep the place tidy. If people arent interested they can just ignore the one thread rather than be annoyed by eight seperate ones!

Back to topic though, nice work. Cheers

I have started the finishing process for the seven string and duality based builds. I used an epoxy as a grain filler, let it cure, started to sand back. I will repeat this process one more time to make sure that when the clear coat is applied there will be minimal shrink back if any and a thinner finish can be used.

DSC01120_zps7588d004.jpg
DSC01121_zpscefef2d2.jpg
DSC01122_zps5e2e5814.jpg
DSC01123_zps4f186211.jpg
DSC01124_zps26f7128b.jpg

Its not much to look at now but it will make all the difference in the outcome of the final product.

Thanks for the info and help with this part Demonx, I appreciate it sir!

With the sanding block, I've got those dura blocks and all sorts of other flash car sanding blocks but I don't use them on guitars

When sanding guitars I only use the small cork blocks that are a couple dollars from a normal hardware shop for the block sanding and then the paper in my hand for all curves and then later for all finish sanding

I work in X patterns as that way it hits it from multiple angles making sure you get an even cut/sand

They have been working great for me so far so Ill stick with them for a bit, but Ill keep those cork ones in mind. Theres always room for more tools and supplies!

truss rod installed with a walnut filler strip, and the walnut headstock plate was placed also
DSC01125_zps4f4191a8.jpg

I love the cocobolo fretboard and it looks even better with a finish on it!
DSC01126_zps0c953555.jpg

I wanted a matching walnut plate on the reverse side of the headstock so I broke out the bendin pipe to create the volute curve.
DSC01127_zps5b188286.jpg
DSC01129_zpsbfbba816.jpg
DSC01132_zps7b84f78d.jpg

More epoxy and time to wait
DSC01133_zps71d8f080.jpg

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Electric-Charcoal-Starter-812-9137-S/202519662/

I took that electric charcoal ignighter and bent the loop together enough to fit in the pipe which i believe is 2.5 or 3 inches. I also took a standard dimmer switch and wired it into the power chord so it now acts as a temperature control. Its not fancy but it works haha.

• Like 1

You're ballsier than I. I have this innate fear of routing the neck pockets before things are carved, sanded, etc. etc.

Your belly carve is extremely original. I really like it!

Chris

Thanks! But I cant take credit for it. One of my builds is based on a Vik and I really enjoyed doing the carves on it so I decided to try them on my own shape. I really love their accentuated style . It takes a bit longer but the final result makes it worth the effort to me.

I see some nice curls and my old friend the palm gouge in there.......there aren't many of us out there that use them. It's nice to see someone else that likes carving with them.

SR

I really love carving with it be cause of the amount of control I have over the removal of the material. I have used all different kinds of sanders and rough files to shape carves but this along with my scraper and some 80grit is my new favorite method. I think I need to look into a bigger gouge though. The blade is on the small side and the handle decided to wear holes in both my hands after awhile haha. Any recommendations Scott?

Actually, what you 've got there is one of my favorites. I use one of the same shape only twice as wide for carving tops and scoops and cutaways like you've got on the back. I use one just like you're showing there and one about half that wide for neck transitions and fun stuff on the headstock. I like that shape of handle best for the control......it's the other end that ends up putting a whole in my hand. I would suggest that you're not touching up the edge often enough if it is making your hands sore, but those curls look like they came from a sharp edge to me. I touch my edges up every 10 to 15 minutes when I'm carving.

SR

• 2 months later...

Its been awhile guys, I had a few things slow me down in the shop but I have two builds getting buffed today or tomorrow so hopefully I can get them together and have something to show ya soon.

For now I have a question. A friend of mine works on expensive houses and a recent project called for mother of pearl tiles. They ended up over ordering and he gave me what was left of the pearl for simply setting up his guitar. It just seems to good to be true though because there is so much and its all white and semi figured. I know they can make synthetic pearl but some of these peices have thickness variation as if it was where the shell started to curve. It feels right and sounds like MOP when I drop it. I obviously dont want to compare the smell of the dust because I dont want that stuff, real or fake, in my lungs. Is there a way to tell if its real or not? Heres some pics, let me know what you think.

DSC01222_zps690b8e36.jpg

DSC01223_zpsb74cf866.jpg

DSC01224_zps66cb3aad.jpg

Just held a piece over a flame. After about thirty seconds the corner turned alittle brown so I guess thats a good sign! My friend said that it was $20 a sheet for these 1" x1/2" tiles. Im not sure how big a sheet is but Ill look into it and let you know. Who knows they might have bigger tiles too.