Robbins Guitars Thread

Im honestly not sure Scott. This is the first time using some of these woods and first time using BK pickups so I cant really tell if the bridge had an affect on its sound. I does have very good sustain which may have to do with the bridge but once again thats just speculation. I enjoy the looks and the feel of the Hannes and Im pretty sure its not hurting the sound at all so I would definitely use it again!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spectacular. The top and the whole thing blew me away! This is really one of the best looking stained tops that I've seen.

re the Hannes - I'm tempted to do an actual A/B with a body that I'm building to test the sound of different necks. I'll have a cheapo hardtail on it, but if I did the routing for the Hannes I could try to see if there is any perceivable difference in sound. (I'm getting the Hannes for one of my builds anyway)

Spectacular. The top and the whole thing blew me away! This is really one of the best looking stained tops that I've seen.

re the Hannes - I'm tempted to do an actual A/B with a body that I'm building to test the sound of different necks. I'll have a cheapo hardtail on it, but if I did the routing for the Hannes I could try to see if there is any perceivable difference in sound. (I'm getting the Hannes for one of my builds anyway)

That would be cool to see! Like I said before, my main gripe with the bridge is the way its mounted. That face the hardware makes on the back of the body bothers me to no end. If they came up with an alternate mounting style I'de use these standard on all my builds. Till then hipshot might be my go to.

The way they look on the back doesn't bother me all that much. If one found them to be too distracting though, they could easily be recessed and fitted with a cover like a tremelo cavity.

Then you could get all mysterious and tell everyone it's a secret when asked what was under the cover. :D

SR

well done man.

You know- I dont know if anyone else noticed this- but the way the figure is slanted from 7pm to 1pm at an angle- to me that makes this guitar all the cooler. I mean- if the figure was "typical" straight/parallel 6pm to noon alignment- I dont think it would look as good. Amazing how the orientation of the figure affects the final outcome. I dont think I have ever thought about that before- being so used to the "usual" quilte/flame maple tops we all see .

so- was that planned or happy accident?

well done man.

You know- I dont know if anyone else noticed this- but the way the figure is slanted from 7pm to 1pm at an angle- to me that makes this guitar all the cooler. I mean- if the figure was "typical" straight/parallel 6pm to noon alignment- I dont think it would look as good. Amazing how the orientation of the figure affects the final outcome. I dont think I have ever thought about that before- being so used to the "usual" quilte/flame maple tops we all see .

That is just how the piece is figured. The grain is still oriented 6 to 12.

I guess I was looking at the lower half of the guitar- it sort of looks like in one of the pictures the grain is actually running like 10 to 4- but looking again at the upper bout - I see what you are saying Riley. it looks a little sideways there by the controls. Maybe too the carve on that and the bridge angle is throwing me old eyes off. Regardless- this really looks great.

That is just how the piece is figured. The grain is still oriented 6 to 12.

The way they look on the back doesn't bother me all that much. If one found them to be too distracting though, they could easily be recessed and fitted with a cover like a tremelo cavity.

Then you could get all mysterious and tell everyone it's a secret when asked what was under the cover. :D

SR

I was thinking of doing that! It would look much cleaner and be more appealing, at least to my eye!

well done man.

Went put the template it about every orientation you could think of and this looked the best by far! Had we decide to have the curls cut straight across I think it would have really takin away from the instrument. Im very pleased with the customers choice!

I have no words... just... O_o

:peace

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have about 2 weeks left before I head up to the Galloup school so I haven't started any new guitars but I have been working on smaller projects to make some extra cash and I thought you might appreciate this long board I'm making for a friends grandson. He will be receiving this for Christmas. The grandfather owns race cars and has people drive for him. One of his drivers passed away who was close with the grandson. The driver had a flaming skull as sort of a trademark, so the grandfather asked me to include the skull on the deck. I went a little overboard but I couldn't help it and I love the way it came out.

Here Is the Skull the driver used

skullinlay_zps92bbfb92.jpg

So lets inlay...

photo_11_zps706ec085.jpg

photo_21_zps1deed74c.jpg

photo_31_zps1b0cb52c.jpg

photo_41_zps22951f03.jpg

photo_5_zps08271328.jpg

In the board and sanded flush

photo_22_zps92d47eb9.jpg

Looks pretty good but It seems to be missing a lot of detail. Time to break out the wood burning pen

photo_51_zps23862236.jpg

photo_13_zps14499460.jpg

photo_23_zpsd2afd813.jpg

Oh and the grandson is only 9 years old :blink:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! Its been awhile but I am finally back from The Galloup school of Lutherie! I would like to do a full write up about it for those who may have thought about going do the same path or for any one who is a bit curious as to what you actually do during the program. I would like to ask where would be the best place to put it though? Should I include it in this thread or is there a more appropriate section for this sort of thing?

-Tyler

• 4 months later...