Robbins Guitars Thread

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, does the same job as a duck...

But yes, my wife uses that fake pearl stuff (I was gonna use it to try inlay dots), the pattern is homogenized in the material, and it looks, feels, and behaves like the real deal.

Don't the ladies test their necklaces for real pearls by rubbing a pearl against a tooth? If it is real it there is supposed to be a little texture that grabs against the teeth and fakes are slick......

.....or something like that. :blink:

SR

Yep.,.,don't know if its true.,.,But I saw that explanation on M*A*S*H* recently :)

Well, those are gorgeous! In the first picture of the 7 string the headstock looked plaid at first glance. Nice treatment of the burst and bevels, and I like the use of bevels and layers in the headstock. I am a fan of some three-dimensionality in head stocks.

Very nice design work in the six string. Creative carves....I like! What is that body wood? The grain makes me think black limba, but the streaks are not like any I've seen on black limba.

SR

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I cant claim that carves as it is a Vik design but I plan on using some of them with my own shapes soon.

Scott- You are correct the body is black limba. I have another build starting up using the same wood for the body with an equally nice grain pattern. This stuff is great to work with!

Sorry for the double post but I forgot to mention this. Last week me and my dad drove up to big rapids michigan to check out the Galloup school of Lutherie. I will be taking their journeyman program which is 8 weeks total and covers the construction of both an electric and an acoustic guitar. I was alittle worried when I got there because the place looked pretty small compaired to what both me and my dad were thinking but after going inside we were both pleasantly suprised. First of all, every one was very nice and more then welcoming to us. I was worried we might have been annoying asking for a tour and stopping them from what they were working on but they were more then happy to show us around and answer any question we had. The shop is so clean and organized and it has the perfect amount of space. There is a front room for like finalized work, a mid section where about 20 student benches are set up each stocked with the tools youll need. The have a spray both, cnc room, a setup station, and a back room with all the huge machinery and stock of lumber. There was about 15 people work on various things through out the shop and there was not a spec of dust or any kind of mess any where. It was beautiful haha. Towards the end they showed us a couple guitars made by Brian that were absolutely stunning. I was nervous to even look at them as they were worth about $12,000 each.

I brought the seven string that I just posted pics of, in order to show Brian Galloup and although he was busy and I did not get to meet him, I was able to show the other instructors and they were impressed. It was a really great feeling to hear that from them after all the effort I put into it. This trip has made me even more excited then I already was to attend the school. These next 3 months of waiting are really going to drag now.

Has anyone else attended any of the schools programs or had the chance to see it? Im curious to hear other's experiances with Galloup.

• Like 1

It certainly machines and shapes easily enough. The piece I'm working with is not especially strong though. When adding threaded inserts to the control cavity, I discovered you need to leave somewhat wider shoulders around the insert to keep it from breaking out than you would with other woods. It splintered fairly easily.

SR

I like them both. I am looking forward to your future works.

Now to say what others won't say.

I am not a fan of the heel on the super strat (its not bad) and not a fan of the headstock on the blue guitar. The headstock on the blue guitar should have been on the SS.

The headstock on the SS would be a great signature for your work. Problem for me is it does not match the body you put it on. The compound carves and reveals of wood are too much for the simple body. In converse the simple headstock on the blue carved top is just not doing it justice. I would try to bring the themes together in one instrument.

Keep the simple simple and the elaborate elaborate. Not to say either is bad. It is just what I would like to see for the future.

If it was me I would hang my hat on this headstock

Done!

DSC01228_zps56580afd.jpg

And make this body my main work.

DSC01233_zpsb0248ac8.jpg

DSC01240_zps5216ae4f.jpg

Cheers!

Don't take any of that personal. I am just giving you an honest opinion.

So In order to earn some last minute cash for school I took on one more Vik style build. It will have:

-Curly redwood top bound in ebony

-Black limba body

-Rose wood neck

-Ebony fretboard

-24 frets, 25.5" scale

-BK Humbuckers

-1vol/ 1 push-pull tone/ 3 way switch

-Bourns and switchcraft electronics

Pics

DSC01242_zps4757e559.jpg

DSC01243_zps3fd51060.jpg

DSC01244_zps19fc1c14.jpg

DSC01248_zps59074159.jpg

DSC01263_zps0d0f776a.jpg

DSC01269_zps714d24cb.jpg

DSC01273_zpsff0ec1fa.jpg

DSC01274_zpsf05334f3.jpg

DSC01286_zps680bf4fc.jpg

Clever idea for side fret markers, Tyler.

BTW congrats on getting to go to that luthier school. It seems like we had a member that went maybe 4 years ago, but he hasn't posted in quite a while. I expect you'll be showing up with more skills than most.

SR