Robbins Guitars Thread

Just checked it out Chris. I like it alot. I will have to get in touch with you once I get back from school to see if you still have any. Cant afford it right now unfortunitily.

Killemall- Fretboard/ taper is no big deal I have a jig to cut the taper on the FB then I glue it on an rough cut the neck. after that is a matter of a few minutes with some 80 grit and I have it nice and straight. Its the thicknessing of the neck that always annoys me. The profile thinkness as you called it. Im always worried the blade will move and cut in too deep towards the bottom side where I can not see.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another way that I'm tempted to do it to make a big bolt-on table (double neck length) for my drill press, and chuck up my safe-t-planer. Essentially that would do the same as RAD's idea, except I can put shims at certain places on the neck to not only give me a nice even flat to start with, but to also make that flat and approximation of the taper in thickness as well (using those shims).

Chris

On the few necks that I made up to now I used a robosander in a drill press with a fence to get the flat area after taking off some wood with a spokeshave. This is possible though maybe a little tricky with the headstock already in place.

I try to have the neck 1mm or so thicker than the target thickness at this point. Then I carve the sides until the flat spot becomes a very narrow ledge in the center (assuming a symmetrical neck profile). Then some sandpaper to finish off and take off the final ~1mm

There is very little "safe" in the Safe-T-Planer.

I have a love/hate relationship with my safe-t-planer. It works really well for some tasks like how Chris use it, but I'm scared as h**l when using it. On the other hand it is at least safer then chucking a big router bit in the drill press...

It you use it for thicknessing thin items, with the planer quite close to the drill press table, I think it is reasonable safe. It is at least not worse than an ordinary router table.

Love the clean look of this guitar!

Ive been slackin lately. not on the building part but on the posting picture part of it, seems like I'm always in a rush or running lat for somethin. Any ways here they are:

Trapazoid-ish neck profile. Wasnt sure how I would feel about it at first but I actually ended up loving the feel of this neck.

DSC01392_zpscfbcea89.jpg

DSC01394_zps7bdfa1aa.jpg

DSC01396_zps617915a8.jpg

DSC01397_zps1f6250fe.jpg

DSC01403_zps40c8eefc.jpg

DSC01404_zps50d86639.jpg

I like the looks and the feel of it for sure. I would have been nice to not have to sink it, or to have a low profile option but it wasnt that big of a deal. My only real gripe with it is that the mounting screws enter through the back. I dont think that was necessary and I cant un see the mildly upset face that is on the back of the guitar now.

I like the looks and the feel of it for sure. I would have been nice to not have to sink it, or to have a low profile option but it wasnt that big of a deal. My only real gripe with it is that the mounting screws enter through the back. I dont think that was necessary and I cant un see the mildly upset face that is on the back of the guitar now.

I actually kind of liked the height of it. It allowed me to add a little neck angle. I like having a little extra air under the strings. The rear mount does add an extra complication, but I do like the way it squeezes the body between the bridge and the mounting flanges (or whatever those are called). It makes me feel better than just screwing it sown into the body wood. It did startle me for a minute when I realized I couldn't drill a hole from the mounting bolt hole to the cavity and use the mounting bolt to ground the strings.

I'm looking forward to playing it.

SR

You use the flat trapiziod profile Brett?

I do (for several years now) unless a customer requests something different.

I do not use as wide a flat spot on the back as you do and mine is a little harder to see as I round the edges a hair more. Guitarists are an interesting lot they hate change even when it is good for them.