Robbins Guitars Thread

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always good seeing you around, @Robbinst and what gifts you've brought this time, eh?

Hickory is indeed an interesting choice for many reasons. Primarily, I've always been under the impression that it's a wood chosen for impact resistance, durability and shock-absorbing qualities. How that translates into the context of a guitar neck, I have no idea. Common "wisdom" (which usually isn't) would suggest that the last of those three qualities might result in a less musical-sounding neck. I'd probably disagree since the acoustic absorption of a wood can be the biggest quality that produces character and recognisability.

The Hickory you used in the build with luminescent adornments a page or two back makes it look just like the Pecan that @ScottR was carving from a year or two back. If I could get it here, I wouldn't mind getting to know that wood better....

4 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

The Hickory you used in the build with luminescent adornments a page or two back makes it look just like the Pecan that @ScottR was carving from a year or two back. If I could get it here, I wouldn't mind getting to know that wood better....

Hickory and Pecan are actually very similar woods and often very difficult to tell apart. 

Unless you get some with the nuts still attached.:D

SR

I'll be honest, at the time I was an apprentice still so I was broke but I wanted to gain experience and build my designs so I  chose woods I could afford. Bloodwood and hickory are cheap and readily available so that's what I went with. Both guitars sound amazing. Crisp, clear, balanced, loud, and very responsive. I used 3 plys on my sides. Both inner and outer layers are hickory and the middle ply is either maple or mahogany, I forget what I had laying around for that one.

The back and sides do play a role in the overall tone for sure but will not make or break it as far as sound goes. My main concern is the material properties of the top. I could put an amazing top on any kind of back and sides and it would be a great instrument but I could put an okay top on a set of Brazilian and it would probably never be anything spectacular.