Want A Good, Solid, Cost Effective Band Saw, Advice Welcome

bob123

Theres so much stuff out there... Lookin to spend LESS then 750$. My old atlas has finally **** the bed, so it's time to retire the old bird (made in 76' lol).

If this is feasible with my budget ->

large (5" x 10" x 24") resaw capabilities

large blade width

1+ hp

I know I can go cheap and get what Im lookin for, but hopefully I can find something a little more durable.

Dpm, thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking 1hp should be enough for my uses, but with horsepower, more is more :P. I'm in no real rush, ill see if I can find something like that used to save a few bucks if I can. I can stretch my budget a little if I find the "right buy" for sure.

You're kind of an asshole, aren'tcha Bob?

You're kind of immature, aren'tcha Firefly? Sorry, Im not an old man desperate for female attention. If you want my respect, don't post like a child.

EDIT:

This is the model being sold around me. Apparently it got hit by a fork lift, but functions perfectly. They are asking 699, and comes with 3 blades and all accessories. (I'll find out what blades).

http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/2064011/26153/JET-14-DELUXE-PRO-BANDSAW-MODEL-JWBS14DXPRO.ASPX?refcode=10INGOPB&gclid=CMu0jovG9rYCFQNlMgod-QoAew

Would I be better with a NEW grizzly, or using something like this?

Edited by bob123

I think I was unclear.I didn't really say your thinking was flawed,I was sort of implying(without saying it as clearly as I should have because of ISP spottiness causing me frustration) that this is a decision that should be easy for you IMO.

I do find myself hard pressed to keep an attitude of helping right now.For better or worse something about the way you type and respond draws a certain reaction from me which is less than helpful.I will take the blame for altering the tone of this topic and I will try to ignore the sideshow,which appears to be something you started with Fly.This

i think its flawed at the 1K mark... You said your budget was: ($750)

Doesn't seem like it should result in this

Fly, how about you read the entire post before posting ignorant comments please.

After that I sort of think you got what you got.You can't start the issue then complain about the result...something I try to keep in mind myself,because I am guilty often of such things.

Regardless,even though I find it tedious to explain something that seems so basic to me,I will try.A used bandsaw has more to it than just a spinning blade that can go wrong.A forklift damaged bandsaw is unlikely to function perfectly,no matter what the seller who is trying to unload it says.If the stand is bent,the bandsaw will be hard to use in a stable manner.If the casing is bent it could interfere with the blade tracking,and a crooked cutting bandsaw is very frustrating.Instead of being cautious about a claim of perfection in a bandsaw that has been hit by a forklift,you sound more like the guy trying to sell it."It is perfect and awesome and I want it"

The new machine with the riser kit is not only new with a warranty,it is much less expensive...$799 is only a $200 discount from the full price of the damaged one...it's damaged,dude...damaged.It is worth less than half the full price...they most likely have already been reimbursed by the manufacturer or insurance,and if they have not they are just trying to recoup a loss.

You(knowing how much you build) are not going to need to constantly resaw 12" of wood.On a guitar,when you resaw a 7" piece,you get a 14" top...and if you did resaw a large piece once in a while you could go slowly.The slight bit of extra juice is unneeded for your application I should think.

Now,that is all the help I will offer because answering your questions results in a tedious amount of response because you seem unable or unwilling to do any tiny bit of research on your own.When people have to explain everything in such a manner,it makes us feel like we are talking to a child,which is why you tend to draw flak.

In simpler terms,Damn man do some research on your own!You are a highly trained professional that should be able to figure out where to get at least the basic info to make your questions more specific.You have been here long enough to be past the constant hand holding you seem to want and yet resist at the same time.

I am out of this topic.You have to be receptive to opposing advice if you wish to continue to have questions answered.Keep in mind only 3 people have responded to your question at all,and you insulted one and responded to me with a line of questions intended to show that you were more knowledgeable in your estimation than that,leaving me with a choice of either just taking the insult or typing out an overly simple step by step explanation of my point of view.Unfortunately I took choice #2

You're kind of immature, aren'tcha Firefly? Sorry, Im not an old man desperate for female attention. If you want my respect, don't post like a child.

Your respect might not be that valuable and it is somewhat arrogant to presume so.

Oh ffs... for starters, that 699 was meant to be 600, typo.

Im not a multi millionaire wes, I tend to take my several hundred dollar expenses a little more then a casual "Oh ok 1 person recommended it, I should get it". I'm also looking at reviews online, asking other woodworking forums, and emailing luthiers. Just because this is what you see, doesn't mean this is all I am doing.

Heres the damage. If you would take a deep breath, this is NOT the kind of damage you're thinking of. Even I know this wouldn't have any effect on the bandsaw performance. The stand was bolted to the ground and didn't topple over. As you said, its worth about half, and I wouldn't offer the 600 for it. The saw itself is brand new and hasn't been mounted to the stand yet.

3E73F13Nd5Nc5La5F4d3j7b391e2adf4213ea.jp

Your respect might not be that valuable and it is somewhat arrogant to presume so.

Intrinsic respect is what keeps the world running. My respect should matter as much as yours. That said, not going to debate this. She was rude as hell, and I called her out on it. Not much else to say.

Edited by bob123

I tend to take my several hundred dollar expenses a little more then a casual "Oh ok 1 person recommended it, I should get it".

Doesn't seem like it,but I did forget to mention that the Grizzly has rave reviews and on this forum is consistently named as the best "bang for the buck" medium range bandsaw...

Think of me as like the forum search engine.I have a huge amount of past topics in my head and when I hear "best bandsaw for under $750" I am going to give you the one that I would buy for myself no questions asked based on everything I have read on the matter.

Buy it or don't,why do you think I care?But if you post that you are considering a blemished model that is still overpriced in comparison when you compare the features then I will tell you what I think...because I think that IS what you asked for?Opinions,not coddling?

The Jet COULD be a good value.It also could be a huge mistake.If you were truly concerned about your money you would think about that,and if you truly were doing the research you say you are your questions would be more like "why is the Jet so much more expensive than the Grizzly with the riser block when the specs are so similar?",but instead you appear to be thinking "Oh look,the jet is usually $1000 but I can get a dented one for $600 so it must be a huge deal"

The hard truth is that the vast majority of people only have some experience with more than one or two bandsaws,because they are expensive.Read the reviews and make whatever decision you want,I truly could care less about what you buy...but try to recall that I give you a ton of information when you ask,and trying to constantly harangue me for it is very ungrateful and tiresome.

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0555-Ultimate-14%2522-Bandsaw/dp/B0000DD0AC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367518159&sr=8-1&keywords=go555+ultimate+bandsaw

And on the "everyone is out to get me" front...It's never you,huh?All of the people on all of the forums on the 'net just talk the way they do to you for no reason?I sit here and watch this forum tick along peacefully until you or a bare handful of others pops in and then the problems start...but it couldn't possibly be you,could it?

• Like 1

Incidentally, allow me to offer two more recommendations. Here's the first one.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Guide-Band-Saw/dp/1565233182

That's a great book, with several chapters on how to select a bandsaw to fit your needs. SPOILER! He's gonna say the Jet and Grizzly are pretty much the same machine.

Also, Grizzly has their anniversary edition of the G0555 on sale for $445. That's insanely cheap.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0555LANV

That is quite the handsome paint job on that Anv edition...man that would look good in my garage.Wish I could afford one right now

Yeah, and I can't imagine you'll ever see a better deal on a quality, brand new 14" bandsaw.

I was hoping theyd have something around chicago so I could "try and buy" type thing, but they only have four locations in the US lol.

They have 4 "showrooms", but nothing even close to where I live.

I don't understand why the anniversary models are cheaper then the normal models. Is it missing anything the "normal" models have?

Edited by bob123