Ibanez Rg 2120 X Piezo

Hi all,

I` m the owner of Ibanez Prestige RG 2120x with Lo pro double edge. Preovius owner installed an active EMG picup and disconnected piezo system. I do not like EMG so I changed them for pasive Dimarzio. I did all works based on wirings from Ibanez website and jemsite forum.Now I have some problems the piezo. When I want use my piezo I have to plug two jacks in outputs. On youtube people use one and everything works perfectly. It`s uncomfortable to plug all the time one more jack. How it changed? I have read about KJG Wiring mod. It will solve my problem?

Thanks for help

Paul

It sounds to me that plugging a jack into the piezo socket is not bridging the negative and ground tags to turn on the power to the pre-amp. Is the socket for the piezos a stereo jack? If so, the tip should correspond to the piezo signal out (sounds like it already does), the ring should be connected to the battery negative pole and the sleeve to the circuit's negative supply line itself. This acts as a switch so a mono plug will bridge the ring and sleeve, thereby completing this part of the circuit and activating the pre-amp. No doubt the previous owner reversed this in order to switch the supply for the active EMG circuit. Your simplest option if this is in fact the case is to swap the signal wires (tip) between the two jacks.

No idea what a KJG wiring mod is, sorry.

Thanks for reply Prosheta!

I ve made photos of my Ibanez anathomy:

1) http://img296.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=109024947_IRG_2120x_122_214lo.JPG

2) http://img207.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=114742623_IRG_2120_122_515lo.jpg

3) orginal wirring with I usedrg2120x_2002.gif

Maybe it will be helpful.

As You can see on this youtube movie, in the begining 00:04 sec. this man has one jack input and in 1:55 he change between piezo and picups with three-way mini-toggle switch. In my guitar this is unpossible. When I tray to switch like this man I hear sound in two and three position. First is empty. It change when I plug another jack.

link to movie (I hope this man won`t be angry that I use it):

Thanks for help

Edited by Prostheta
no problems with embedding a video - the user hasn't made it unavailable for embedding after all!

my guess is that indeed if the preamp is not receiving the voltage as stated above then i am unsure. however looking at the schematic and the previous ones i have seen they do not use that type of jack on the mix plug. it is a highly elaborate switching jack. i had a similar problem with my brian moore the original jack went out and it had tons of pins and wires on it. i looked at the option of replacing it but settled for a rewire instead as it fit my needs and i didn't have the time to wait for a specialty jack

Both jacks are stereo. The schematic says that inserting a jack into either of them (or both) shorts the ring and sleeve and both turn on the active circuit. The larger fourth tag on each jack is connected directly to the body for the purposes of having a separate place to run earthing connections rather than soldering them onto the same tag as the sleeve.