Not Your Momma's Strat......

I feel for you! I had a similar thing happen to me. When I was 99% finished with spraying the hook that was screwed to the ceiling in my spray booth came loose and the guitars fell first on its but, then on the face... And it was a metallic finish! Had to sand back to bare wood and start all over again.

I can maybe help you with some nordic (think inherited from the vikings) curses if you think that will help.

May the demon of zircote and its evil henchman gravity be cast into the firy pit from which no wood returns excpet as ash. Or zircote may you end up as a 2X4 in in the bathroom wall of a flatualnt family. Just trying some curses.

This truly sucks but I am sure you have the skill and patiance needed to make it right.

I feel for you! I had a similar thing happen to me. When I was 99% finished with spraying the hook that was screwed to the ceiling in my spray booth came loose and the guitars fell first on its but, then on the face... And it was a metallic finish! Had to sand back to bare wood and start all over again.

I can maybe help you with some nordic (think inherited from the vikings) curses if you think that will help.

Thanks Peter, all Nordic Viking type curses are welcome. I'm thinking I need something I can barely pronounce to convey my depth of feeling (loathing) for this act of betrayal. Old country curses seem like they would be sufficiently potent.

A couple to add to the list:

tumblr_mtwq4xg27Z1r80ikgo1_1280.jpg

Yetzer my friend, I'm not sure it gets more old country than Hebrew. I'm pretty sure I didn't know there were any curses in Hebrew.....

(That is Hebrew isn't it? Forgive me if it is not.....I have very little exposure to the language).

Curses from Spain, Queens, and merry old England are welcome as well. If we all go off together, maybe we can exorcise the demon out of this bi#ch.

Thanks for the emotional support guys.

SR

Up until an hour ago I was ready to order another quart of lacquer in case I had to respray........but I think I'm going to get away with it.

IMG_2913.JPG

I've still got a ways to go, but this work is looking promising.

IMG_2917.JPG

And it was perfect, PERFECT, I tell you!

IMG_2919.JPG

Today I found a spot on the side that hit the concrete too, so another repair is being undertaken. Some of the frets got boogered up too, so another leveling and recrowning is in the works.

IMG_2920.JPG

I should probably finish all the work on the bed just to be safe.

SR

Thanks Peter, all Nordic Viking type curses are welcome. I'm thinking I need something I can barely pronounce to convey my depth of feeling (loathing) for this act of betrayal. Old country curses seem like they would be sufficiently potent.

OK, lets start off easy:

Jag förbannar dig, din familj och dina förfäder

That translates to something like "I curse you, your family and your ancesters" Wanna go deeper or do you want to practice a bit on that first?

Or maybe this

Må Odens vrede drabba dig såsom Tors åskviggar

"Let the whrath of Odin hit you like a thunderbolt from Thor. That has a bit more viking quality actually

Pretty silly really...

OK, lets start off easy:

Jag förbannar dig, din familj och dina förfäder

That translates to something like "I curse you, your family and your ancesters" Wanna go deeper or do you want to practice a bit on that first?

Or maybe this

Må Odens vrede drabba dig såsom Tors åskviggar

"Let the whrath of Odin hit you like a thunderbolt from Thor. That has a bit more viking quality actually

Pretty silly really...

<_<

Those are awesome. I'll practice them both. They will probably be painful for me to try to get my tongue around, which is as it should be for a good curse.

Looking back at Mike's and then yours.......huh. I thought Mikes was shortening each word to one letter (what's the word for that?), but perhaps I was wrong and he was cursing in Swedish too. :P

SR

Sunday night it looked like the repairs had a good shot at being invisible. Last night I saw that they developed witness lines. I tried one more thing, but it looks like I'm going to have to respray it after all.

It looks like I'm going to have to hunt around for some more of that patience stuff I was talking about last week. Because I just looked in the cabinet and there don't seem to be much left.

I got another quart of Behlen's on the way.

SR

Wow man ! I can't believe the bad luck you've been having ! I was catching up with this thread until I found about the unfortunate events... :(

Must feel horrible. The only thing similar that happened to me was one of the LPs I built last year falling to the concrete floor. Fortunately it way before finishing, no neck attached so I could safely steam the bruise out.

Be patient, you'll solve it and it will be beautiful, and everything will be forgotten once you start enjoying it.

And about that additional quart of Behlen you bought, just try not to drink in in one sitting, mmmmkay ? ;)

Thanks for the commiseration Luis.

I guess most of us have had mishaps or disasters to have to recover from........what is the line, that which does not kill us only makes us stronger? Cue up the song here please.

I'll get her fixed up and maybe even fix a couple little things that weren't bugging me, but now are--along the way. I should probably go ahead and install the strap buttons and strap it on while I'm working on it from here on out though.

I must admit, I had not considered drinking the Behlen's though. What is the preferred method of setting that up? On the rocks? Tonic with a twist? Or straight up right out of the can?

Yeah, looking at it straight on it is invisible. It's a simple thing to hide in photos. (When I took those it was invisible from all angles.) But looking at it from a side angle now shows witness lines around every little fill spot. Maybe they could be sanded back level without getting back to bare wood or flattening the curve in the carve......I don't know. I've come to terms with the idea of respraying now. And I feel better having made that decision.......except for the additional wait till completion part. I'm still trying to remember where I put that can of patience. :unsure:

SR

Just a few additional topcoats. I'll scuff it a back a bit with some 400-600 grit and see if I can't get below the witness lines and reduce the amount of CA fill to the minimum and then bury it all in several more coats. It ought to be quite the deep finish when it's done.

SR

Yeah, looking at it straight on it is invisible. It's a simple thing to hide in photos. (When I took those it was invisible from all angles.) But looking at it from a side angle now shows witness lines around every little fill spot. Maybe they could be sanded back level without getting back to bare wood or flattening the curve in the carve......I don't know. I've come to terms with the idea of respraying now. And I feel better having made that decision.......except for the additional wait till completion part. I'm still trying to remember where I put that can of patience. :unsure:

SR

The joys of flattering photography lol. I've been screwed over on ebay a few times because of that crap haha.

Im sure you will fix her right as rain again, just a little more time and effort, but she deserves the treatment :)

Beginning the scuff up process.

IMG_2922.JPG

It is actually probably not necessary judging by the bite of the tiniest drop of lacquer on a highly polished finish.

IMG_2924.JPG

The headstock survived....but I can see it is going to be next to impossible to get a dust free, reflection free shot of it....

IMG_2925.JPG

And the first coats of new lacquer go on.

IMG_2929.JPG

IMG_2932.JPG

SR

• Like 2