Not Your Momma's Strat......

I have heard that rubbing an item down with a fabric softener sheet will repel dust. Have not tried it myself so ymmv.

Actually, I have in other situations. It is not so much that it repels dust as it is pretty good at reducing static which attracts dust. I imagine most of these clearcoats we use are pretty good at building static. you may be onto something there.

SR

Thanks, Nevin.

Stunning.... finally!

:DB-)

Thanks and shhhhhhh, she'll hear you.

She's obviously female and one thing I know for sure about females (and yes there is only one thing about them I know for sure), is they are going to be late. The more you have to say about them being late the later they are going to be. This one has already come up with interesting ways to be late. Nothing you can say will stop them from being late, but saying nothing will at least stop them from being later.

SR

• Like 2

Thanks, Nevin.

Stunning.... finally!

:DB-)

Thanks and shhhhhhh, she'll hear you.

She's obviously female and one thing I know for sure about females (and yes there is only one thing about them I know for sure), is they are going to be late. The more you have to say about them being late the later they are going to be. This one has already come up with interesting ways to be late. Nothing you can say will stop them from being late, but saying nothing will at least stop them from being later.

SR

Ha ha that is so true, but when she comes out wearing such a beautiful coat we'll forgive her :)

Woohoo! Muzz was in the house! And I missed him comepletely because I was on a plane to Orlando for a trade show.

It feels like I'm way behind now....... :wacko:

I did go back and re-polish the whole thing because of that stuff that I'm the only one that will probably ever see. :blink:

Then I assembled her and found out where the curse struck next.

IMG_2958.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

Because of the extra coats of clear, my bridge now sits too high. There is plenty of room to deepen the saddles so I'm going to do that rather than recess it. That is a good point about the bridge....I guess. So far though it is mostly a pain in the ass. The holes you thread the strings though are so much smaller than the string holes drilled through the body that threading them is like threading a needle in the dark. And there is play in the left to right location of the saddles till you get tension on the strings.

IMG_2963.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

Anyway it is good to see what it looks like assembled finally.

SR

• Like 1

My D string is .026 and my closest nut file is .024. I thought I had them set nicely until I put tension on the string by tuning them and that allowed the D string to seat as deep as I actually cut the slot instead of only as deep as it went when I was setting the depth. It will have to be filled and reslotted. :angry: I blame it on the curse.........even though I did know that could happen......I tried to make it happen but it wouldn't.......until I tuned it.

IMG_2967.JPG

IMG_2970.JPG

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

Time to de-string it and work on the D-slot and the brindge.

SR

• Like 1

Scott-

looks great- sorry to hear about the issues. The curse is alive.

crazygtr wrote-

"is that volume knob in the correct place?"

if not an oversight for quick photo- I bet the tone was placed there intentionally like some tele's I have seen set up, so you can roll the tone and "wah wah" the sound.

what say ye Scott? happy oversight or intentional wah wah inducer?

Scott-

looks great- sorry to hear about the issues. The curse is alive.

crazygtr wrote-

"is that volume knob in the correct place?"

if not an oversight for quick photo- I bet the tone was placed there intentionally like some tele's I have seen set up, so you can roll the tone and "wah wah" the sound.

what say ye Scott? happy oversight or intentional wah wah inducer?

Neither--crazygtr got it right. Believe it or not, I've never even picked up a strat. I bought the controls with vintage components prewired, and was looking at the diagram upside down when I stuck the knobs on the pots.

May as well blame that on the curse too.

SR

Next time I have something go wrong with one of my projects, Im blaming it on your top Scott. Don't care it if its not even related, Im still gonna do it!

She looks good, a bit quirky, but at least shes unique and what you want. Id love to play her some time, bet she has some aretha going on inside.

Thanks guys.

She's been a headstrong filly so far for sure. Hopefully once she's saddle broke, all that caged rage will turn into serious mojo.

Muzz, I'm thinking she should jump straight into The Sky is Crying or Texas Flood straight out of the gate.

('Course that's literally what's going on outside my window right this minute, might have influenced those choices).......

SR

Looks savage Scott. Im likin this one a lot, you gona try your hand at another GOTM ?

Most likely Paulie. Considering that your SRV beat out my first attempt a few years ago and this is the first time since that we've something ready at the same time, I don't see how I could not give it another shot. Of course if John (sdshirtman) gets his in there too, and Luis, the competition could be severe.....considering the entries already submitted.

Should be fun!

Now you tell me Pros. I did give it a light wipe with a dryer sheet......and had to buff those areas out a bit afterwards. It did seem to cut back on the static though.

SR

Now you tell me Pros. I did give it a light wipe with a dryer sheet......and had to buff those areas out a bit afterwards. It did seem to cut back on the static though.

SR

Yeah. It increases surface conductivity. Ordinary guitar polishes might do that also. Silicones are not a good idea on nitro since there is a chance of them reacting with the finish. They are also a nightmare if you ever need to work on the finish in the future as I believce it migrates through? Same problem with silicone rubber on guitar stands. You're not throwing the stuff on though. I often wonder why people continue to use those string lubes with silicone in. Madness!