Not Your Momma's Strat......

Interested to see how the Hannes bridge goes for you. Was considering trying it for a future build myself. It's got that all-at-one-level, no-pointy-bits-sticking-out thing that looks extremely comfortable. Same reason I like the Hipshot bridges too.

Yeah, I thought it was a very smooth, clean looking bridge too. It looks like it is going to be very comfortable. It is flat enough to set up without any neck angle, but it does have saddle height adjustments. I put just under 2 degrees of angle in the tenon of this one. It has a couple more less than common features. It is built at an angle similar to what you'd set a TOM up with. It also bolts on from the back. There are threaded holes in the metal bar that obviously don't go all the way through. I'm going to have to pay attention to the depth of the counter sinking of the ......(what) flange-ferrule things the bolt heads set in and will probably have to adjust the length of the bolts because of my back carve. I don't usually have any uniform areas of thickness in the bodies of my builds.

SR

Wait. Stop working! Leave it like this:

IMG_2473_zps095b6b0f.jpg

That would look great.

Oh, oh...

IMG_2475_zps9d952d07.jpg

To late...

lookin good Scott. should be interesting to se your take on a bolt on strat type thing.

Thanks Paulie, but it's not going to get that close to a strat. This baby is going to have a deep set long tenon like all my others. I don't see any bolt ons in my future....yet.

SR

IMG_2522.JPG

This Macassar ebony fretboard is different from any Macassar I've seen. I usually see brown and black stripes. This is almost in the cocobolo look of things.

IMG_2525.JPG

It had some big fat curls in the figure when I bought it, but I don't see them anymore. I can't complain though; I think it looks pretty hot.

IMG_2526.JPG

I put this shot up because it has three different types of glue joints and lines in it. Epoxy, Titebond1 and thin CA.

IMG_2531.JPG

The thin CA is the one you cannot see.......

SR

• Like 1

Looking great. That headplate is really beautiful. I can almost picture you with a grass reed hanging out of your mouth while you whittle away at that headstock which by the way, I really like.

There was a time when that description would have been dead on accurate.I even had the beat up straw hat and patched up overalls....

......well no, I've never owned any overalls. Actually I don't look that different from that picture of you that you posted....except my hair is shorter.....and grayer....and I can't point my toes as far out as that. But I work in the garage....except the door is open and it is not as neat or organized currently as yours...... :P

That ziricote in the headplate is some fascinating stuff. I've got one of the offcuts from the body on my desk that I stare at every day. The endgrain is like nothing else I've ever seen. Each section contained by those dark lines looks like it grew independently from all the others. They all look like they have their own set of growth rings. The end grain doesn't even act like end grain. The end grain shown in that last picture just looks like the face grain went on around the corner. I hope I can capture that when I carve the top.

That headstock is SERIOUSLY cool! Simple, yet great ideas here...

Thanks Bob. I think I may finally be getting that down pat.

SR

Thanks Fire and Muzz!

I had every intention of using a classic black fretboard to tie the body to the head stock plate since the ziricote is so busy. Then I saw this piece of macassar.....which had big fat curls in the figure I swear. I can't find them any more though. It remains to be seen if it ends up being too busy I suppose.

SR

Oh no, I'm not going to blacken it out. It'll get a coat or two of Danish oil but I chose it over the black because I really liked the way it looked. It may or may not make the finished guitar look a little extra busy from the front......but it will be what it will be.

SR

Today is Father's Day in the US.

You want a great Father's Day gift?

Make a son. Teach him to value music while he's still in the womb. Spend the next twenty years or so teaching him the values of life.

The greater your skill and the greater your effort at teaching him the values of life, the sweeter the fruits of your labor.

Spend the rest of your life enjoying the fruits of your labor. (That's your Father's Day gift).

I imagine it works with daughters as well......but I never got the chance to test the theory on them.

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there............I gotta go call my dad.

SR

RE: your ability to carve out the back of the headstock like that

I'm so jealous.... I f'ing hate you out of sheer principle. I wanna be like you when I grow up.

:killinme :killinme :killinme

I love you too John.

It's great to see your two cents getting tossed around again.

SR

Time to carve the neck. I cut the profile out pretty close. I marked the low spot with a red marker. I don't want to cut that spot any deeper..... just shape it by sanding.

IMG_2541.JPG

After roughing in the carve with my rasp made from old band saw blades (again), I discovered a use for some old sanding belts that had broke loose on me. Using the old shoe shine shimmy cleaned up the rasp grooves in a hurry.

IMG_2543.JPG

Oh! Did I mention that I fretted it first?

IMG_2546.JPG

I went with stainless steel jumbos again. I used this on the last guitar and I must admit it took a while to get used to the jumbo sized fret. It is much easier for a beginner to barre chord on, but it is also easy to fret too hard and pull notes sharp. On the other hand Ireally like the way the stainless feels under the strings, especially when bending. I recently restrung two guitars, one with nickel and one with SS. The wear on the nickel compaired to the SS made me go with stainless again.

IMG_2547.JPG

SR

• Like 1