Not Your Momma's Strat......

Thanks guys. Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been traveling on vacation.

Hey Scott... Just got through #3, #4, and now this thread, learning so much my brain hurts man! Tons of great info and some beautiful guitars. Thanks for putting it all out there! Looking forward to seeing the carve on this one :peace

Hey Sancho, thanks for taking the time to look......those are some long threads. I've created some carving dilemmas with some of the choices I've made on this one. I'm kind of interested to see if I can pull it off myself.

Stay tuned!

SR

As I mentioned, I did not get much time to work on this project over the last 10 days as I was traveling. I did do some worthwhile stuff whilst out in the land. For instance I saw this show at Red Rocks. It is such an amazing and storied venue, I thought I'd share.

Those who remember being forced to spend hours viewing grandma's vacation pics (or worse - slides), skip down about three posts.

IMG_3447.JPG

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3458.JPG

You can just see Denver's skyline in the background.

SR

IMG_3498.JPG

IMG_3512.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

IMG_3519.JPG

Robert Plant looked as old as he is......if you only looked at his face. But when he moved decades disappeared and man he owned that stage. What presence! And the vocals sounded damn near exactly as every recording you've ever heard over the last 45 years.

Twas awesome.

SR

Red Rocks Basin!I love that place.Only been there once and it was full of teenagers in sleeping bags doing stuff I think their parent's would not have liked...but it was a nice hippy-style atmosphere...I think it was around '97

There is no better venue period in my book. This show had the same atmosphere and the crowd was mixed from original Led Zep fan aged to teens. It was a pretty even mix. I sort of expected an older crowd. Weed is legal in Colorado now......I don't know about in public or in that venue......but the older folks were lighting up just like they did 30-40 years ago. Right in front of us--my wife was shocked.

SR

I did manage to get a few hours in. My pickups came with this nice vintage prewired set of controls.

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

One of the problems I caused myself is due to that 5-way blade switch. It's my first time using one and I didn't pay that much attention to how tall that sucker stands to LP style 3-ways. I thinned down the body to about the thickness of that switch. There is still room to accommodate it, I just have to take the cavity deeper into the top. It's going to make the carve a whole lot less freestyle though. I'm going to have to be much more careful to the depth of carve in that area.

Poop.

The template was handy for laying out the locations.

IMG_2664.JPG

I lost my light here....it pounded down rain about 5 minutes after this shot.

IMG_2667.JPG

SR

I got so sick of making templates this weekend. I didn't think I was going top get anything else done. This time I made a cavity ledge template instead of using a rabbeting bit and a chisel to clean it up

IMG_2670.JPG

This limba is not the strongest stuff. I had a chip out.

IMG_2671.JPG

And had to fix it.

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

SR

Not too much lined up......

IMG_2679.JPG

I traced the cover onto some clear polycarb.

IMG_2681.JPG

And located the holes for the threaded inserts....ala SDShirtman.

IMG_2682.JPG

I used the tracing to locate the pilot holes on the cover and then drilled them through the cover and into the standards left in the cavity.

IMG_2685.JPG

SR

I'm not a big fan of pick guards...especially over exotics. And I don't like the way strat style single coils look direct mounted. And I'm not super fond of the way strat style single coil rings look either.......

IMG_2694.JPG

So what to do? I ended up making some recesses for the rings........more templates.

IMG_2695.JPG

Now what the hell is he doing?

IMG_2697.JPG

I sure hope he knows!

IMG_2698.JPG

SR

• Like 1

Nice fix on the chip out.

Man that is one aggressive recess for the controls. Will be fun watching you pull that one out

I got lucky by finding a chip lying in the cavity that either actually came from there or looked enough like it did that it didn't matter. Probably the latter since it was not a perfect fix.

Yeah, I'm pretty interested in how that recess is going to end up fitting in myself. :P It works in the mental picture I have of it. It is certainly a departure from the norm......not that I've ever departed from the norm in the past or anything. Actually I just saw a rickenbacker a few days ago that had the controls all on different plane, a recess as it were. But not as agressive as this one :rolleyes: .

SR

I'm just hoping my mind's eye still has 20-20 vision. It sees strat controls on a flat plane. Since the pick-ups and controls are the only things this actually has in common with a strat, I decided to give it the flat plane--the 5-way blade switch really needs a flat spot to be happy.

My choices are to do it on the surface or recess. I could have carved around a plateau, I suppose but I like the controls below string level, out of the way of the pick sweep. This plane is right at half the thickness of the top, probably not as radical as it looks. But even if I get it looking just like my mental image, it's still going to be unconventional. :D

SR