Not Your Momma's Strat......

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it. I'm certainly having fun with it.

So..........crafters huh? That is actually a term that people use in a sentence.....with the expectation that other people will know what they are talking about? :huh:

Boy, you know you're getting old when your own language changes and you didn't even notice when it happened. :blink:

SR

Dude you are a crafter all right ;) And she was a pizza delivery girl...

I didn't think modern humans used that term to describe artisans anymore.

I think you have a rodent infestation. That thing looks like it was attacked by an angry rabid beaver.

One thing I worry about with all that gouging is going to deep. Then I would have to make the whole neck thinner because I cut too much near the heel. You are a braver crafter than I am.

If I could train an angry rabid beaver, I wouldn't have to wield those scary sharp gouges any more......but what would be the fun in that? I just realized I haven't spilt any blood on this build. Which just about guarantees a puncture this weekend. :unsure:

Actually I think I'm done with the hand carving on this project. As far as the heel goes I leave the neck about 1/8" oversized at that end and don't carve down even to that level. You cannot see that in the pics though. The final sizing and blending will be done with a rasp and sandpaper.

SR

Yeah.

Every now and then you get an idea and create a good mental image of it and in this case even draw it out.......and then the cold stark reality slaps you right upside the head when you see it actually done. I knew that first cut was just a step on the way to the end product, but it was rather jarring. I had to sell myself a bit when it was at that stage. I'm ok now. It's going to look just right with the knobs and switch in place.

SR

So far so good. I will reserve judgement for a finiahed product. I will say it is way better than i thought it would look.

So having done several zirocote things i am thinking you need a high gloss finish on this one. Oil on ziricote tends to hide the contrast and grain lines.

I noticed that! I tested some oil on an offcut and rather than adding a deep glow like oil usually does, it just went all dark and boring. I've got a can of Behlen's nitro waiting for this.

I'd love to know what kind of growth pattern causes the markings in ziricote. Each dark marking outlines a section that appears to have it's own independant growth rings/grain......which run in totally different directions from the section next to it. The rays in each section run at completely different directions than the rays in the next section. All the markings that look like grain and growth rings have no visble relationship to the true growth rings and pores. The true growth rings are nearly impossible to see, but when you do find them, they grow in the typical pattern and seem to have no relationship to the markings. Bocote does something similar, if not quite so radical.

SR

If you are one of those guys that love to carve necks.....but you got some new toys that made the job go too quickly, and you felt like maybe you finished prematurely....and was left feeling unfulfilled....then you need to go on to carving a neck join like this. It will get your mojo back.

IMG_2759.JPG

One of the main reasons I use a long tenon is so I can feel comfortable carving this kind of neck join.

IMG_2760.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

SR

• Like 2

Did you ever get so filthy that you had to lather up with a curry brush and drag a couple of miles behind a tow boat to rinse off?

IMG_2763.JPG

The first mile head first....

IMG_2765.JPG

....the second mile feet first.

IMG_2766.JPG

The mahogany, padouk, limba, and ziricote all make abundant amounts of fine dust with the higher grades of sand paper.

IMG_2767.JPG

I think I'm clean now....

SR

• Like 1

Man, That is some seriously nice work. It may sound condecending - But I think you have actualy improved :blink: , which is saying a lot considering your work.

Thanks Paulie, I really appreciate that. As I was creating some of the contours, I'd sit back and look at what I had done and think, huh, this makes me think of some of Paulie's work. Maybe I channeled some of your mojo.

That is one round soft looking thing.

See above.

I'm not really a fan of huge round overs, but curved edges seemed the way to go given the nod to a strat that this is making. Then I made the edges that you come into contact with when playing even softer. I've got to admit it is very comfy. :)

SR

If you are one of those guys that love to carve necks.....but you got some new toys that made the job go to quickly, and you felt like maybe you finished prematurely....and was left feeling unfulfilled....then you need to go on to carving a neck join like this. it will get your mojo back.

One of the main reasons I use a long tenon is so I can feel comfortable carving this kind of neck join.

IMG_2760_zpsed7dfe60.jpg

IMG_2762_zps76cee7d1.jpg

SR

I wonder who that was referring to?

This has got a nice soft organic look to it now. It almost reminds me of the curves the Ibanez Satriani model has.

I wonder who that was referring to?

This has got a nice soft organic look to it now. It almost reminds me of the curves the Ibanez Satriani model has.

<_<:killinme<_<

Actually, that is probably the work of Paulie's I was reminded of. He has posted several JS builds.

SR