Not Your Momma's Strat......

Thanks, Mike.

RAD, I've been looking at those Damascus steel knives for years. I love the way the laminated steel looks. I can't beleive I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

As for the guitar, I'm thinking I may take a bunch of shots of it when it is in the matte or satin finish stage of polishing. Then I'll make it high gloss and compare.......and decide whether to take it back to satin. The head stock is matte right now and I keep looking at it and then the body.......

SR

I took a tip from RAD on blending in the lacquer line on the neck.

IMG_2876.JPG

He says he likes to take some lacquer thinner on a rag and rub it in to do the blend. I decided to up that one and use the thinner on some fine steel wool. It worked nicely.....but I learned that steel wool acts like a sponge and held way too much thinner. Excess ran around the neck join and onto the treble horn. It was fixable, but it created a bunch more work.

I said I wanted to take some pics of this when it was in a matte state. It never got really matte, but here is what I took.

IMG_2879.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

SR

• Like 1

On 9/17/2013 at 5:50 AM, pauliemc said:

Lookin savage scott. Let it sit up for two weeks then polish it with some ultra fine compound.

Thanks Paulie.

I only had about half a day this weekend to work on this, so I polished through a couple more more grits and then it gets to hang another week. It doesn't look that much different.....other than a bit glossier, but since I'm such an exhibitionist that's used to making weekly updates......of course I'm going to post up a few more pics. :blush

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_2896.JPG

SR

• Like 2

Looking good. So how much longer till we get to see this in its final state?

Depends on how much trouble she's going to give me on the final polish and buffing I guess. She jumped off my little bench and bruised her ass after I took those shots, so I've got to heal that up first. I seem to be making a habit of that. :angry: Odds are still good I'll get to assemble it this weekend.

Finish looks really great Scott! I wish i could get some finishes like that on my guitars. Cant wait to see the final product.

Thanks Luis. There's no reason you can't, you certainly have the skills. All it takes is prep, patience, elbow grease, and patience and elbow grease and patience.

.....and elbow grease.

SR

• Like 1

Depends on how much trouble she's going to give me on the final polish and buffing I guess. She jumped off my little bench and bruised her ass after I took those shots, so I've got to heal that up first. I seem to be making a habit of that. :angry: Odds are still good I'll get to assemble it this weekend.

Oh man does that suck. In the spirit of full disclosure I think you should be documenting that little flub for us to see. :blink:

Oh man does that suck. In the spirit of full disclosure I think you should be documenting that little flub for us to see. :blink:

Hardass. <_<

I jumped straight into repair mode without taking a shot of the ding. I packed about 4 layers of medium CA into it. It remains to be seen how invisible I can get it. It is in a location that is seldom seen, so I've got that going for me. I'll document it and all you guys can regale me with stories of how the same thing happened to you and tell me how you saved it. That way I'll have something else to try if my fix doesn't work. :rolleyes:

SR

So I filled the damaged area with medium CA. I pooled up a bit of it and brushed in several layers which were quick cured with accelerator. Then I leveled the the stack with 220 through 1000 grit sandpaper on a hard block.

IMG_2897.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG

I went too deep on the edge and had too fill it again. Then I feathered it in with a hard block and 600 through the micromesh grits up to 120000.

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2900.JPG

SR

Voice from the future: Little did I know that this was the demon in the ziricote waking up....:unsure:

I got the strangest message when I posted that.......I didn't think it took. But I went to BBQ and Blues and then came back and it looks fine........... :unsure:

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2903.JPG

The repair worked perfectly. I finished finishing the finish. I got all the swirls out and finished up with some wet look auto wax. It was blindingly reflective and slick as hell.

^_^

And the SOB slid right off the bench and landed face down on the concrete.

IMG_2904.JPG

I do not have the words to describe how that felt.

SR

DAMN!!!

Doesn't begin to cover it.

I need curses of biblical proportions. I need curses that will curdle milk, that will make you hear a cat that yowled last week, that will make a great great ganduncle wake up and claw at his urn (he was cremated).

I can't think of any of those...... :huh: ..... so any help with curses will be greatly appreciated.

SR

• Like 2