Brazilian Mahogany, Cites Certification, Questions...

So, my grandfather "knows a guy" and he used to make acoustic guitars for gibson "back in the day". This old man has STACKS of brazlian mahogany for backs and sides that he is going to give me. My "concern" is legitimizing it, and what kind of value this wood would have? I can't find much information on the matter, and was hoping someone here would have a clue or could at least point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

edit: do I even NEED cites certification?

Edited by bob123

It does not need CITES to my knowledge. Brazilian mohog is just big leaf mohog (commonly called Honduran) grown in Brazil. I believe the stuff FROM HONDURAS needs papers. But not brazil... I pick that up paperless from my local yard on the regular.

It's good mohog, especially if it's aged... But it's no holy grail find... Your local lumber yard probably has some.

Chris

It does not need CITES to my knowledge. Brazilian mohog is just big leaf mohog (commonly called Honduran) grown in Brazil. I believe the stuff FROM HONDURAS needs papers. But not brazil... I pick that up paperless from my local yard on the regular.

It's good mohog, especially if it's aged... But it's no holy grail find... Your local lumber yard probably has some.

Chris

Well this is good information! Thank you! The whole cites thing confuses me, as its listed as a "ii" level protection, but I dunno whats what. So the country of origin is what matters, not the actual wood it seems.

As far as being a "holy grail" find, I wasn't expecting that, however, the sheer amount of wood is the grail it seems ;)