Wanted : Bulk Fretboard Slotting

bob123

If someone here has a CNC or a good, fast, ACCURATE method, I'd like to send them 10-15 blanks for fretboard woods.

Various stuff, including

walnut

jatoba

maple

maple

maple

more maple

blackwood

gancola alves

if you're good with this stuff, lemme know, and a price. I will pay upfront as long as you have a solid reputation here.

I don't have a CNC. But I have a good, fast, reliable method in like 10 different scale lengths no less.

Where are you located?

Also, I agree with Perry, what price range you're looking at is key as well. No so much for time IMO as my way's pretty quick. But fret blades are pricey.

For reference, LMI does it for $9... I'm not sure if you have to buy the wood from them though?

Chris

No, you don't Chris. I've had timber sent from other sources, through LMI for slotting and radiusing, and then on to me. $9 is cheaper than my hourly rate, so I always try to have stuff slotted at the source if possible. But, it isn't always possible...

For under $250 you can set yourself up with a decent powered fret slotting system. If you're doing '10-15' you'll be most likely doing 10-15 more...

Only 24hrs in the day, Doug? Outsourcing is a good sign of being busy with profitable work. Hope this is the case! :peace

Carl, Doug works 23 of those hours 7 days a week. :) I usually get a call from him late nights when the cnc is churning if he sees I am online. The man is a working machine. LOL!!!

MK

Hopefully it's not the sort of call that goes:

"Hey Mike....it's happening again"

"You what now? Didn't we have this conversation las..."

"It looked right at me. I could swear it was watching my actions"

"Now you know that's not the case Doug. The red light is just an LED"

"It. Knows. My. Thoughts. Mike."

"Doug, that LED is just a status normal indicator"

"IT LOOKED INTO MY SOUL. EVERYTHING WENT BLACK WITH AN UNBLINKING RED EYE. THE EYE MAN. THE EYE"

• Like 1

"IT LOOKED INTO MY SOUL. EVERYTHING WENT BLACK WITH AN UNBLINKING RED EYE. THE EYE MAN. THE EYE"

:lol: In my best "2001 a Space Odyssey HAL voice"... "Doug...I see you Doug"

Mike is right... been burning the midnight oil lately. I don't mind taking on work like this. However, the old "no pain...no gain" cliche has definitely taken on new meaning. :wacko: I know my presence on PG has been scarce lately. I'm in the process of moving my shop to an industrial space. At the same time I am expanding the business. Thankfully, my wife is helping with the office/clerical side of things. This fall I will be taking on an "intern" from the local high schools Occupational Work Experience program. He will work a set number of hours toward the material cost of his own build.

I officially move in July 1st. When I get set up, I'll post pics of the new shop.

Nah it's not like that most of the time. It's more like, Hey Man what you doing up at 2:00AM? He is usually doing something on the cnc getting an order done and I'm not able to sleep so I get online. LOL!!!

@Doug, I'm Patiently waiting to see the new shop. :)

MK

Being the chatty rascals we are, the topic is being driven off. :-D

Yeah, when I can't sleep I sit in bed reading on the tablet. I thoroughly recommend the Nexus 7 however I want a Nexus 10....shame there is a legal dispute with Nokia which prevents sale in Finland. Grr.

:O Well now...

Sorry, was afk for a bit gentlemen, plus the site wasn't working on my phone for some reason!

As far as me wanting to buy a system to do this, I would love to, but I just don't see myself buidling more then 10-15 guitars EVER! haha, If I burn through these fretboards, then I will consider getting a powerslotting system.

My "method" is just not precise enough for me. It worked well for what it is, but I want equal depth cuts every time.

I wonder what Chris meant there. Unusually obscure of him.

If I had to guess, he wants to do it, and wants an excuse to get a new fretslotting blade for his table saw.

Huntin doug pm'ed me and he lives very close, so I'm speaking with him currently,

Sorry. It's not as exciting as ya'll expected... iPhone changed my words on me! I meant to say that I'd do it for a new fret slotting blade. Mine's toast and on it's last legs I've done so many with it. I need a new one, and someone else buying it for me sounds perfect! :)
Chris