Mux Guitars Consolidated Shop Happenings Thread

• 7 months later...

Oh wow have I been slacking on updating! Alright, here's some updates on the builds. Let's start with the two simple neck projects. The Ibanez replacement neck with the crazy CF U-bar went out to its owner awhile ago:

3B755A88-CFFF-42CA-861C-D5EDBC12E255_zps

As did the rosewood baritone neck, but it went out in the white to be built into a tele body by someone else:

36E29641-07EA-4CDB-BF0B-F39C5FA9F746_zps

Both the marlin tele and the meeting have had their necks set, hardware attached, etc. pretty close to 'in the white' and lots of sanding!

9CF32390-50BD-4F04-9A31-4DD2622C204B_zps

A0BA29A5-0E1B-4483-9BC8-47D9E119A184_zps

This has to be my favorite latest happening though! My mad scientist wiring scheme for this Marlin hippy guitar. The controls for the standard stuff is volume, tone, 3-way. Push pull on the volume taps the coils, push pull on the tone turns on a pre-amp booster which the gains controlled by the final knob. The pre-amp (Walker pre) also has a buffer that it sends out a stereo loop jack. Upon returning it goes through the arcade button. The little mini switch next to the button changes whether hitting the button allows the signal through (inclusion switch) or if it interrupts the signal (kill switch for the loop). Basically you can tap in/out your looped signal, or just use the return part and tap in/out ANY sound including another guitarist.

92D601C2-C7EB-476F-9B31-16521A712F37_zps

Some small progress on some other builds too:

BCDCA8A6-201D-42C0-8CAC-FD54EB6AF825_zps

Oh, and took on another student:

EAE52BFB-3BE2-4835-8CC3-BECE14832B68_zps

Chris

KEM: The pocket is just a little longer than the tenon itself. No difference in the end though as it's covered by a pickup. If you're referring to why that spot is shiny, it's because it was glued in with epoxy.

Scott: that spalted quilt was actually given to me by thegarehanman (old member) as thanks for making the 11 hour drive to attend his party (we were in college at the time hahaha). Really cool stuff! Got a couple others similar he gave me.

For the ghost pinto thing, that's the build I'm doing along side my new student. Needed something simple cause he's doing a strat. It's basswood and persimmon on top bound in ivoroid. EIRW Bolton neck with 25.5" persimmon fretboard. Being done up really simple just an EMG81 with volume, tone, and an LED blue on/off switch. Side and face dots are glow in the dark teal that will match the 'burnt stained blue' finish it's getting aka the JEM7BSBs from the 90s.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

So most of my projects are in a stage where nothing I do makes any drastic aesthetic differences. At the end it's all boring stuff like cavities covers and tiny holes to attach stuff and sanding :(

However, for the first time in a good while student #1 was able to pop by to work on his build. It's really coming along quite nicely. He really has a knack for carving well IMO:

D80DD6FA-F31D-4823-A744-B274C162FA45_zps

Couldn't fully decide what pickups he wanted so we went with a bathtub route to make sure he had options moving forward.

3ACD68D3-0ADB-403B-AC3D-E78C600B808D_zps

Really nice heel transition and neck carve going on on the back.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

The student was over again and got a little progress done. He's pretty close to sanding and finishing at this point!

AB23BD35-E2A9-4B8C-B8FB-8B25C0A5D641_zps

I also got more minutia done... but that minutia led me to be able to put the Marlin Tele in the white today! Here's student #1 giving it a whirl. Click the pic to play the video:

th_B2258557-99E8-4689-92FF-F40015A4FD97_

Gotta say I'm happy about the sound of the pickups (sorry you can't actually hear them well cause it's an iPhone video) as I'm still getting used to winding my own stuff.

I did however discover that at some point I somehow sheered off the leads from 5 of 6 of my ghost saddles that will run that guitar's variax electronics. Always nice to throw away $100...

Chris

92D601C2-C7EB-476F-9B31-16521A712F37_zps

Maybe its because I'm working on a piece of spalt at the moment but I really like this. Judging by the way the grain runs out past the trim it looks like this is purfling vs binding. Do you have any progress shots of you doing this? If so I'd love to see em.

Today is your lucky day SD! So to answer a couple of questions you posed:

* Yes, it is JUST purfling. The reason it looks like the grain extends out past the trim is because it does. That's the same piece of wood.

* Yes I have a ton of info on the actual purfling technique. It's a technique called radial purfling and it's achieved in the exact same way you do shell purfling: snapping strips into a channel.

* No I don't have any shots of me doing it on THIS guitar, but I can easily explain how to do it with the grain extending outside

For learning the radial purfling technique check out my youtube video on the subject:

As for how to do it without binding, here are the steps I took:

1- Ensure body outline is final and sanded

2- I wanted 1/4" wide purfling (combo of the b/w/b's and the radial EIRW) that sat in 1/4" from the edge

3- I picked a 1/4" downcut spiral bit and a 3/8" collet to do this work. That means in order to follow my spec in point #2 I needed a 9/16" rabbet bit to cut the template I'll be using for this.

4- Take 9/16" rabbet bit and use it in a copying-fashion with your body to make a smaller template.

5- Tape this template in place on the body and use the collet/bit combo to route out your channel.

6- Inlay purfling as per video.

I don't have any pics of the process on this guitar, but I do have a pit before the neck went it which may help you visualize what I'm talking about since I didn't bother filling the channel under where the neck would end up:

bodydone.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

So apparently I'm HORRIBLE at keeping this updated... So yeah absolutely everything is in finishing... So I've started some new builds. And what I mean by "in finishing" is "I can get about 1 coat on each guitar a week because the humidity here is the worst possible for spraying nitro!!!!!"

So with that in mind (and slowing me down) I've started a new batch:

A75EE4DE-8E92-4D17-899F-F385AE060E66_zps

I like it when things start to look like guitars!

Chris

• Like 1

Oh, for those curious that's a, from left to right, quilted maple and bamboo ply with wenge FB and bamboo neck. Then sinker redwood over Spanish cedar with madrose neck and FB. Alder with amazon RW FB and maple neck. And finally swamp ash thinline with Mac ebony FB and curly maple neck.

Chris