Autobiographies And Other Books On Muso's

demonx

I'm not a big reader but after getting hooked on Game of Thrones TV show and then reading the boxset of them after being left with the season 2 cliff hanger I decided to have a bash at music related books.

First one I tackled was Yngwie Malmsteens Autobiography "Relentless" which to be honest was pretty average, but I'm a Yngwie fan so knocked it over pretty quick.

I've just about finished reading "Dirt" by Motley Crue, which is way more interesting than Yngwies book, makes them out to be just self centeres junkies, but lots of interesting stories.

So what decent books are out there guitar related that arent about building the things?

Read Ace Frehely's Autobiography, not much in there that I did not already know. I think the biggest surprise was how close he was to John Belushi, that I did not recall. All the gun play and such I knew about mainly from talking with Ed Roman..... Yes I dare mention that name outside of the realm of reality..... There is a man that needs an autobiography written about him as anyone that owns/owned/or may own a Steinberger would know his name.

Read Gene Simmons also, but he is self centered - money maker, so you get more watching his show when it was on. Honestly his kids were spoiled brats that needed to be kicked out of the nest to make it on their own. At first that did not appear to be the case, but on the show a couple of comments were made that I guess the producers did not have a chance to strike out.

Oh, sack off Gene Simmons' book unless you get it second-hand. I would hate a cent of my money ending up in his pocket.

I would recommend "Crazy From The Heat" by David Lee Roth. If you understand a little of his character plus the period in his career/relationship with VH at that time and can apply those into your filtering mechanisms as you read it, a worthwhile insane read. Also, "Slash" and "The Heroin Diaries" were good reads. You do have to apply your filters on full though. There is so much personal bias in many of these books.

I must have four or five book on The Doors and Jim Morrison in general. Also, good music photography books says so much more than much of the writing in many instances.

- I'm with the band. The story of one of the most (in)famous groupies ever.

- Nick Mason also wrote a killer book on Pink Floyd. The dry english humor was great.

- White line fever by Lemmy. Really funny and (surprisingly) quite intelligently written. Probably a ghost writer, eh?

I would put money on all of these books being ghost-written apart from DLRs which was "collated" and sanitised from the babble in and out of his head. That said, Lemmy can be very sharp, personable, articulate and appropriate when spoken with. I don't think anybody could ghost-write well for him without close contact and immediate transference of how the guy is. Out of most "personalities", Lemmy actual IS one.

I've read Eric Clapton's - interesting read - didn't realise just how close he came to binning his career thru addiction, also Steven Tylers is also quite a cynical read. I've read pat Benetar's too - a bit slow going but still quite interesting.

Best one's I've read - I Am Ozzy & Steven Adler's "Appetite For Destruction"

Other interesting AB's - especially for peeps in the UK - are Spike Milligans books of his war-time memories (for people overseas Spike was a very popular comedian who actually started out as a musician & was conscripted into the Army during WW2 - in between battles he and his comrades started a Jazz trio & went about entertaining the troops - where he met Harry Secombe & Peter Sellers & they formed "The Goon Show" a popular Post-War radio comedy show)

Out of most "personalities", Lemmy actual IS one.

So true

• 2 weeks later...

while not specifically about any one musician- I read (something like 20 years ago) Bill Graham's autobiography Bill Graham Presents which came out right after he died. Bill was a concert promoter- and was in the thick of some of the greatest events ever. he was the guy behind the Fillmore east and West. I am into that era of music (late 60s thru early 80s) and this book was an enjoyable read for me.

I just blew through the Peter Criss book last week in about 24 hours. Very disjointed story and it somehow makes me hate Gene Simmons even more if that is possible. I came out of this read thinking that Peter Criss is a pig and is way too interested in other guys junk.