Alright so first off id like to start by saying I do not plan on doing this to deceive anybody, or sell it or any unethical stuff like that, however this is my first guitar. I've had it for about eight years, I,ve had others but always kept this one, I do not have the money to buy a les paul not even a studio but i figure if i spent a couple hundred bucks I could make it close. http://zurlocker.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/20/white_epiphone.jpg http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/members/ledlover01-albums-epiphone-les-paul-studio-white-picture15172-les-paul-2186.jpg This is what my guitar looks like (only with dr heavy strings and zakk wylde pickups) is it possible for me to take this neck http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Neck-fits-Gibson-Les-Paul-set-neck-and-LP-style-guitars-PROJECT-/130953075572 and get it on here? ive never done any work on guitars my dads always done it (im 18 now) id have to paint it and somehow learn to silkscreen the decals on it but i think it would be a really cool project can someone tell me if this is possible? or how i could start by going about this i havnt bought anything yet thanks guys :D

Technically it is possible... But it is a terrible idea, and will cost more and take longer than the whole guitar is worth.

What is wrong with the neck that is on it? Chances are, the only difference is the inlays and the headstock logo. Why go through all that to make a copy?

It wont be a Gibson no matter how many times you cook it in the butter. Mod like that will surely ruin resale value of the guitar. Buyer might think it´s another cheap chinese Les Paul copy. But I´f it was me I´d look into reshaping the existing neck rather than buying new one.

I would recommend investigating the possibility of a repair first. Any chance of some pics of the crack, the circumstances under which it happened, etc? Also, specifically why do you feel that the neck is garbage? Unstable? Wrong profile? Sticky to play on? Bad fretwork?

Whilst it is possible to fit that neck (if the heel geometry is correct, which I doubt) the work involved is extensive to the point of it requiring refinishing large parts of, or the entire instrument in order to get it anywhere near the state it started out in. The costs by this point are already stacking up to where buying a new guitar is preferable to the time and effort of repairing this one with no guarantee of the desired outcome.

The sensible decision would be to get an opinion on the crack and an independent second opinion also. If it can be repaired economically then that would be the better route to pursue. Refinishing the neck is possible. You might even get the luthier to modify the headstock with ears, add an open book style shape to match a Gibson and paint the face black. Silk screening a logo is possible however even if you are keeping this guitar to yourself, do not put "Gibson" on the headstock. Anybody that sees it and recognises it as a non-Gibson instrument will not think respectful thoughts of you or your instrument. Save yourself the face and pop your own logo on there or something that isn't trying to fool people. I used this on my ESP EXP Explorer copy:

exp11.jpg

....it is respectful enough to demonstrate that it is not the genuine article but wears its heart on its sleeve.

If you want a guitar that looks like a genuine Gibson, either go for the real thing or build from the ground upwards instead of starting with an Epi. Going the way you suggest will likely leave you writing off the guitar as an unplayable instrument whilst simultaneously being out of pocket. Unless you and your dad have experience and support in this scale of project you should go into it knowing that you might be totally writing the instrument off.

• Like 1

You might look into a kit. Get a new body and a new neck. Then take the electronics out and put them in your new guitar. Painting/finishing would be a lot of work, but maybe your dad could help you. Search ebay for "les paul kit" and similar.

• Like 1

I have a feeling since your asking this question the short and simple answer is NO, yes it can be done but its gonna take someone who really knows what there doing to do it. I would say your best bet is to hang it on the wall and either start learning how to build a guitar or go buy a new one. you say its only gonna cost you a couple of hundred to do this but trust me by the time your done you will be at the point of nearly buying a low end Gibson.

So true! It is a common misunderstanding that building your own guitar will cost less than buying one. When you get to maybe no 4 or 5 you can make a "cost efficient" guitar that has the same quality, or better, than what you will have to pay for parts, wood etc. I think the best advice this far is from RAD; keep it as is. I still miss my first guitar. I would probably hate to play it but I still know what I would do if I got my hands on the bastard that stole it...

• 3 months later...

I do this all the time I buy cheap guitars like the KTone hollowbody Les Paul I bought I strip all the inferior electronics and hardware off of them. I keep that stuff to build cigarbox guitars with. The I dump quality electronics and hardware into it and do a good setup on the neck. I have three more that I have done this to grabbing junk guitars our of pawn shops as long as it is a decent body you can turn it into a sweet "sleeper" as I call them. I took a Fender Star Caster and stripped everything, dumped tex mex pickups, fender wiring harness and all the genuine fender hardware and plays and sounds just like a Fender Strat now. I left the Star Caster logo on the headstock to add to the sleeper style. As a Matter of fact I am starting a new line of guitars that does just the "Stalker Custom Sleepers"

Great idea! I love the sleeper idea myself too. I guess I grew up out of the visual ostentation and flash ("Look! I'm a Gingerson!") because the instrument should speak for itself. I guess the kids can knock themselves silly drooling over logos or eyecandy but if it doesn't have the sound to back it up, it's a paddle.

I'm doing a sleeper soon myself too; a Fender '51 P-bass. Visually the theme is "correct" however under the hood are some fundamental improvements and the "obligatory hidden short block V8".

Sorry to continue this off-topic.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a feeling since your asking this question the short and simple answer is NO, yes it can be done but its gonna take someone who really knows what there doing to do it. I would say your best bet is to hang it on the wall and either start learning how to build a guitar or go buy a new one. you say its only gonna cost you a couple of hundred to do this but trust me by the time your done you will be at the point of nearly buying a low end Gibson.

So true! It is a common misunderstanding that building your own guitar will cost less than buying one. When you get to maybe no 4 or 5 you can make a "cost efficient" guitar that has the same quality, or better, than what you will have to pay for parts, wood etc. I think the best advice this far is from RAD; keep it as is. I still miss my first guitar. I would probably hate to play it but I still know what I would do if I got my hands on the bastard that stole it...

When I built my LP back in 2003, I had about $600-$650 in materials, but after I bought all the tools needed to make it, I could have probably gotten a nice used Les Paul Standard at the time.