Making The Most Of Early 80's Gibson Neck Pu.

bileshake

I recently picked up an 84' designer series gibson flying V. My first V and yes I love it. Other than the selector wired backwards, the electronics seem to be in good shape but I decided to replace the bridge PU with a Dimarzio tone zone. Works like a charm and sounds amazing. The stock neck pickup howls feedback like crazy with my hi gain loud volumes and has too much low end. I'd like to save the stocker, I don't use the neck PU for anything other than a weaker vintage sound so the tone is ok just too bassy.

I'm thinking of wax potting the bucker and maybe experimenting with a cap in series. I have the tools to do the wax potting so I will start with that but I haven't done anything with caps before.

Any advice?

decide what freq you want to be the cutoff range. 70hz use the rc filter formula to find what cap you need for your pot. if its 500k use a .0047uf in series from pickup output to pot or switch depending on your wiring diagram. http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm i have been using this trick for years and its ootw

have you potted it yet