Ritter Jupiter Copy (Aka The Fugly Fretless)

So- after thinking for hours about HOW I was going to redrill the butt end of this thing, I finally took the leap of faith, and it came out mostly ok. Unfortunately there were a couple of times where the drill bit "grabbed/followed/whatever it did-hit" a previous hole where I had filled with sawdust and glue- and those came out a bit uneven on the front. I will need to tend to those with a rat tail file and fix the visual on those holes so they line up evenly. 

I must say- drilling those holes was the biggest PIA I have ever experienced in guitar building- second only  to having to scrape off nitro after it fish-eyed on me. I must have gone thru 4 or 5 different set up/jigs before I finally just drilled a rectangular block of wood with the holes- and then just hand held that sucker in place while drilling with a hand drill. My bench top drill press just couldnt handle the body size of this thing. 

Only other progress this weekend was routing out the pickup cavity. It is intentionally oversize in case I ever want to go with 2 singles vs a humbucker. May not seem like much progress- but getting past drilling that butt end was HUGE for me. 

004_3.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty much a block clamped to the workpiece is the simplest way to go. At the very least, the visible part of the holes are the bits that are important. The rest can be drilled through from the back, then cleaned up from the front again. Longer drill bits are always useful, however it's often difficult to find quality bits at a reasonable price at those lengths....never nice when you're only needing to complete a small set!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 11:38 AM, Prostheta said:

Yeah, pretty much a block clamped to the workpiece is the simplest way to go. 

Agreed= which is what I tried at first- but at this point- that butt end is now carved- ie- curved- and there is no clamping that will hold true.

So now that all my holiday guests are gone- back to building. 

I thought I had everything the way I wanted it- and then after sanding the grain filler- I noticed the body line on the back end of the body- well- isn't quite  flowing smoothly like I want it- amazing what grain filler will reveal-I am referring to the "edge line" starting about where the bass side bridge post hole is- 

008_1.jpg

and after a little file work and sandpaper and re-touching the grain filler in that area- all is well again

001.jpg

• Like 1

Jobs like this that require organic flow should be checked multiple times simply because of that very fact. You easily miss things on raw wooden surfaces. Have you got a good raking light to examine the piece? That is, a low angle light that you can glance over surfaces? That helps a hell of a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

so- finally started carving the neck, Man I forgot how good it feels to tear into a neck blank. I went old school and pulled out the farriers file for this one

001_1.jpg

and as fate would have it- this little snot showed up- nothing major-the gloss black will cover it-  but if this was to be clear coated it would have been  a bummer. 

003_2.jpg

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

I might have to get a nice new rasp for neck carving myself. It is glorious.

they are fun- a little aggressive -but you can grab hold of these and really put some muscle into it. i meant to post a pic in previous post- this is my second farriers file- of note- my previous file had teeth all the way out to the edge- which you would think is a good thing (more efficient)- but I find this file with the flat edges a bit more forgiving when you approach areas where you dont want chunks flying out and you need to switch to less aggressive file. Also- this has a wider longer flat part at the top - so you can really grab hold with your hand and not grab onto teeth which is very uncomfortable-even if you wear gloves. My previous file had very little to grab onto on the top- just some thoughts if you are serious about buying one. 

I do enjoy using a spoke shave as well- but I find my technique (I get waves along the length of the neck which take more time to level out (with files) than if I use files to begin with). But there really is something about grabbing hold of a farriers file with both hands and having at it. 

004_4.jpg

lets try the photo again

004_4.jpg

Edited by Mr Natural
photo didnt load

4 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

and as fate would have it- this little snot showed up- nothing major-the gloss black will cover it-  but if this was to be clear coated it would have been  a bummer. 

I would probably call it "character" and go on with the clear (oil actually), but that's just me.

Never mind. I see that what you really said was if  this was to be cleared.

SR

• 4 weeks later...

Man I hate painting guitars. 

5th sand back in progress. New record for me I think. 

lets see first it was I had dips and misses in the grain filler, then a few runs, then "stuff" in the paint, then a run and of course a run/stuff/weather combo for this last one. I am going to have blush/spots whatever- this is cursed. I knew this thing was going to be a pain but this is killing me/

The mojo is messed up right now. I am going back to bare wood and starting over. so pissed.

FUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, these things are all needing to be done however I'm holding them off so I can document the processes properly rather than just take photos after the fact. It's putting a big hold on current builds, and I can't say that it isn't stressful since I will be losing access to the school's fine machinery in June.

• 2 weeks later...

The weather here has been just nuts- 34 degrees in the morning, 70+ in the afternoon, Rain, no rain, Its been so warm everything's blooming about 3-4 weeks early- and we have had a couple of weeks with pollen count above 1200. For those that dont know- anything above 100 is bad news for allergy sufferers, and here where I live we actually get visible pollen build up from the trees- it hasnt happened yet but when pine trees start up you can write your name on a car left outside in the yellow green pollen it gets so thick. 

so- I took a chance this weekend. We had a break in the pollen, humidity, temp, etc. This pic is after 24 hrs. I sprayed Sunday am 3 light mist coats of color, and then again in the afternoon 3 slightly heavier coats. I am keeping fingers crossed. Will have to wait until end of the week probably to start the clear coats as it is scheduled to rain all week. Excuse the photo- I have my "ghetto" paint tent up in my garage. The garage is basically on "lock down" mode- the wife and 19yr old are a bit put off but OH WELL. I couldnt really get a good photo. The white dots are actually reflection from the flash. The brownish area to the left is actually the reflection of the 1x4 that is clamped across two ladders inside the tent that I hang the body and neck from)

008_2.jpg

That's what's called in the trade as a teaser photo :D.  Here I am, four years later, waiting like an expectant father by the screen, not going out, not taking phone calls, beard 17" long with birds and mice nesting in it....

Can't wait.  Especially as I've just been commissioned to design a Ritter-esque single cut, all white, natural finish, hidden p/ups jobee ;)

so- I took a shot today and sprayed 2 coats of color. I basically misted the first coat and then a bit thicker 2 nd coat. I just sprayed 2nd coat on edges of body and about to spray body when I took this shot. You can sort of see the difference in build. I dont have proper spray equipment- I use a Preval sprayer. Using Seagrave laquer thinned with 15% thinner. keeping my fingers crossed I can be done with color after this and get on with the clear soon. 

001_2.jpg

• Like 1

I got 3 rounds of clear coats started Saturday but today it was cold and windy and rainy this morning so everything is up in a spare bedroom closet where Mrs. Natural can't smell the nitro gas off:). I have since got sawdust everywhere in the garage so it will probably be next weekend before I clean it all out and set up the spray tent again. 

in the mean time- Instead of a boring paint drying pic- I was going thru pics and found this one I didnt post of build- so-past due. 

002_2.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

lacquer has dried 3 weeks- control cavity getting wet sanded with 800 grit. After wondering why the orange peel was so pronounced and so many low shiny spots- I realize I did not spray a flash coat on this. duh. I typically do 1/3 laquer/ 2/3 thinner with a cap full of  retarder in there- not sure why I forgot to hit the control cavity cover with it. That flash coat really does smooth things out and (imo) it saves time with sanding. I usually start with 1200 but using 800 to level it out. 

005_3.jpg