New Shop... Hanging Out My Shingle

HuntinDoug

Back in April/May the Mrs. & I decided it was time to move the business out of the house. With more people coming in our home it raised safety concerns, as well as appearing unprofessional at times. Nothing worse than having your dog bother a potential customer....

In late May we signed a lease on a 1600sq. ft. facility that is 2.1 miles from my home. I began shutting things down at the house in mid june. By the 1st of July I was framing walls at the new location. 10+ weeks later I am finally done... well, almost. I have some finish work yet to do.

Two weeks ago I started another "Build your own guitar" class. This time I have 5 students building 4 guitars. I have a husband & wife team build, and a Father & son building identical RH & LH walnut guitars. I never could have comfortably had that many at one time at the house.

Last Sat I had an Open House so people can check out the new facility. And, I've already had a PG Forum member visit. Todd came and hung out for a while one weekend. It's cool to meet people face to face!

Instead of posting a bunch of pics of the open house in this post, Here is a link to my facebook page. Feel free to look around: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Parable-Guitars/220875048056336

Looks like it needs some sawdust spread around the place!

I've got a similar sized workshop and if you're anything like me it won't be long till you find it getting cramped, especially when theres more than one person working in there, but like you, it was a massive improvement from the smaller one I had beforehand.

Congrats on the new space, look great and very organised. Also had a flip through your other builds on facebook, some cool looking guitars.

Thanks guys.... The move has been exciting. But, I'm ready to settle into a new routine. I still cant seem to find anything. The open house was definitely the cleanest the shop will ever be.

I've been putting in a lot of extra hours trying to make up for lost time... However it seems like running in quicksand. I have 7 builds currently on the docket, I have a roughneck for Chris, and Mike has tried to call at least twice (I promise I'll call you back when I can :blush ).

I come home tired & covered in sawdust every day, and I couldnt be happier. :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys.... The move has been exciting. But, I'm ready to settle into a new routine. I still cant seem to find anything. The open house was definitely the cleanest the shop will ever be.

I've been putting in a lot of extra hours trying to make up for lost time... However it seems like running in quicksand. I have 7 builds currently on the docket, I have a roughneck for Chris, and Mike has tried to call at least twice (I promise I'll call you back when I can :blush ).

I come home tired & covered in sawdust every day, and I couldnt be happier. :)

That's great Doug, Call when you get some time, no hurry, just want to BS for a while. I have a new idea for a reso again. want to run it by you and get some input. :)

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on everything! I bet deciding you needed to rank things up was a good feeling. Nothing like evidence of progress.

That's a big space too! I used to have 300sf and didn't know what to do with all of it. I'm at 250sf right now and it's comfortable. Granted, I'm just one person (and that's not changing) with only so much stuff and I'm certainly not teaching anybody, let alone five people. That must be exciting.

You seem to be doing something right. Keep it up!