Wanted - Burled Ebony Headstock cap

demonx

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a Burled Ebony headstock cap (or something else similar color) that I can give to a luthier who is making an Acoustic guitar for me.

I want it to be more black than brown with tight burl figuring.

Minumum dimensions:

190mm x 95mm x 2mm

I'm really hoping someone has something stashed away or knows where theres something hiding.

Cheers

Allan

I can't say I've ever seen an ebony burl, but could you do an ebonized walnut burl? That would be quite black, but with all the burl figuring. I don't know if walnut burl looks the same as ebony, but it might work. Then again, it might just be me thinking of the easy way. Hopefully someone else has something really fantastic for you.

I can't say I've ever seen an ebony burl,

I saw some a couple weeks ago. A guitar customer brought around a custom made pool cue he had made for him in England (cost about $4000.00) and it had some ebony burl in the handle. I havent been able to get it out of my mind since.

Ive contacted the guy who made the pool cue, no reply.

This is the closest that I came across, maybe not really "ebony burl" but at least "figured ebony" I guess...

820678_4856706988025_1373527104_o.jpg?dl

I bought it from madinter.com as "special ebony fingerboard". Actually they were giving these to orders above 100 EUR or smth at some point. I tried asking them if they had any more of these later on, they said yes and when I ordered and sent me two pitch black boards... :P

PanKara - thanks for the link. That looks like "Striped Ebony"

I have both Macassar and Striped Ebony in stock. It's not quite what I'm looking for, although Macassar is the fall back plan as the neck and headstock will be Macassar. So Plan "B" is no cap and just leave it as a plain boring old Macassar headstock! Which isn't all bad. I just wanted the Burled Ebony

Still looking! I've sent out Email to several suppliers, still no replies. What is it with customer service these days?

Well, you are asking for something that is considered not available... I get emails like that all the time "Hey, Im looking for 6A quilted pale moon ebony with a slight shimmer of grain reflection when viewing from the northeast. Ultimately, it would also need to be straight grained, quartersawn, and perfectly black with no distinguishing features to distract from the second piece I want from you: a single piece quilted Honduras Mahogany body, large enough to build the guitar body and neck from one solid piece... the quilting needs to perfectly diamond shaped with no curls smaller or larger than 1" surface area (I will accept +/- 0.14" either way). Also, and this might be a little more difficult, but the quilted mahogany needs to have a snappy tap tone, and be more tonally like Maple. This is my first guitar, but I did sand a window frame once, so I expect it to be pretty good."

... and then ten minutes later...

"Hey, ***? I know its Saturday night at 2:30am, and you are in Australia, but *** man? Do you want my business or not? You guys should feel LUCKY Im even considering you for this order. I could get this wood from ANYWHERE, but I chose you, because you seem like the sort of guy I can annoy easily. Get back to me. Also want some purpleheart, but with a bluish shade. Thanks. Bye"

ARE YOU THAT GUY MR SEARLS?

I would love for someone to reply with some, in your ANZLF thread. They have just threatened me with a ban for offering a guy some curly maple, when he posted up he was looking for some.

I'm not expecting to find what I'm after, hense why I have a backup plan, yet I'm still putting it out there as you never know.

The emails I sent out are a more formal wording of my post here and anz. Short and to the point, not rude. I havent followed up as I've already emailed them once. It's their turn.

I'll ask this pool cue customer for a pic of the ebony in his cue as a reference so you guy can see what I'm drewling over.

Well, you are asking for something that is considered not available... I get emails like that all the time "Hey, Im looking for 6A quilted pale moon ebony with a slight shimmer of grain reflection when viewing from the northeast. Ultimately, it would also need to be straight grained, quartersawn, and perfectly black with no distinguishing features to distract from the second piece I want from you: a single piece quilted Honduras Mahogany body, large enough to build the guitar body and neck from one solid piece... the quilting needs to perfectly diamond shaped with no curls smaller or larger than 1" surface area (I will accept +/- 0.14" either way). Also, and this might be a little more difficult, but the quilted mahogany needs to have a snappy tap tone, and be more tonally like Maple. This is my first guitar, but I did sand a window frame once, so I expect it to be pretty good."

... and then ten minutes later...

"Hey, ***? I know its Saturday night at 2:30am, and you are in Australia, but *** man? Do you want my business or not? You guys should feel LUCKY Im even considering you for this order. I could get this wood from ANYWHERE, but I chose you, because you seem like the sort of guy I can annoy easily. Get back to me. Also want some purpleheart, but with a bluish shade. Thanks. Bye"

Perry, that was me. If you don't come up with reconstituted moon dust inlays I will be forced to ban you or something.