Searls Guitars 2014

demonx

The 2013 thread is pretty much wrapping up now, it ran a 12 month course and all the end of year guitars are being collected, so it's time I started a new thread for 2014 to clean the place up a bit.

Here are a few pics of things to come for January's first lot of builds. Some of these are customer orders and a couple are guitars I'm building which I hope will be sold by the time they're finished.

Also to come but I haven't taken pics yet are an all Sycamore Explorer, the Sycamore is old growth from an estate in England and has been air dried since the 1970's

Ziricote and Highly figured Cocobolo fingerboards:

1463753_557301504351688_958774564_n.jpg

Black Limba and Flamed Maple neckthur mock up - will most likely get a Ziricote fingerboard

1504020_557293731019132_574249871_n.jpg

Spalted Sassafras and Tasmanian Blackwood neckthru (All Australian Timber)

1390672_534044176677421_1553385562_n.jpg

A second top for a guitar same specs as above:

1382082_528636260551546_852578275_n.jpg

African Walnut top that will become an 8 string neckthru:

1461351_550759011672604_911356063_n.jpg

Rimu top that is going on a Flamed Maple neckthru:

1378505_528201330595039_1321885620_n.jpg

That is some awesome looking cocobolo. Where do you get your woods? I cant even find decent exotic woods without paying insane amounts. I am doomed to using veneer and plain mahogany for my whole career.

Let's just say I paid insane amounts. Over the last few weeks I've spent thousands on timber and revived very little volume wise. When I add freight it gets very expensive. After freight each of those neck thru blanks is over $300ea. Those fingerboards prob jump up to $50 or $60ea once freight is accounted for. I still have to do the math. Either way its not cheap timber. International freight is a killer.

I try to source locally but if that's not possible most if the places I buy from are in the timber lists on this and other sites, there's no "secret" source, its more just a case of right place at the right time or calling them to see what they have that's a bit different.

That is pretty much what i figured. I guess when you are that successful though, it isnt that big of a deal to pay that much for wood.

I would have a very hard time not cutting up those big blanks for strips to use as multi lam necks, instead of using the whole blanks for 1 neck.

That is pretty much what i figured. I guess when you are that successful though, it isnt that big of a deal to pay that much for wood.

I would have a very hard time not cutting up those big blanks for strips to use as multi lam necks, instead of using the whole blanks for 1 neck.

It's still a lot of money but I had to buy them as it's a customer order (at least on of them is) so I order a couple others to make the purchase worth it freight wise.

If I'm careful I should be able to salvage a few fingerboard blanks form the offcuts and rip some binding strips, but I'll only get one neck from each blank.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't had much guitar updates over the last few weeks as I've been flat out, building this!

It's a CNC room. Insulated with "Earth Wool", the room measures 6m X3m and will house the machine that I hope will take "Searls Guitars" in a whole new direction of excellence.

1521432_569974356417736_2006271321_n.jpg

• Like 1

How many guitars did you end up building in 2013? and how many do you have planned for 2014?

Not many, I'd have to check my files but it'd be twenty something. The way I build currently that's the most I can do. I did however have a big stretch of time off from guitars in 2013 whilst I gutted a large section of our house, turned four rooms into one large open plan room. Built new stud walls in spots, re plastered walls and ceiling, built a new kitchen, installed new floorboards, wiring, lighting, painting. Big job and a big chunk of the year away from guitars.

As for 2014, I have a few handmade orders to build in the first quarter, but I haven't been taking on any new orders so I'll have a lot of time to work with the CNC, learn, practice, experiment etc

Ebony.

SR

Not enough contrast. I vote Tiger Myrtle or Maple.

Yeah, I like the subtlety of it better than the contrast. I like that the ebony matches some of the striping in the board. It looks classy. The maple is OK for contrast, but I don't like the colors of the myrtle against the colors in the board. Of course it could look fine with whatever top or neck wood he has chosen......

SR