Searls Guitars 2014

demonx

Just because a neck is made of maple doesn't mean it is going to be neck heavy. I have solid maple guitars that are lighter than Mahogany guitars. Just depends on the piece of wood.

Well, that one isnt made of maple, it is made of other heavy woods ;) I can guarantee those are heavier than mahogany. But i am sure it is the full thickness bodies that allow it to balance. Even with a super light mahogany and walnut necks that i use, with a thin body it doesnt balance with a shape nearly the same.

Here is a guitar I've been working on for a while, the owner has asked me not to post pics on my facebook page, but I guess this isn't my facebook page!

Anyway, here are a couple pics to give an idea what it's looking like:

10152588_623593117722526_239245541096478

1800267_583002345114937_1576727329_n.jpg

1888688_610455325702972_1842588906_n.jpg

10153703_620473211367850_292935959031787

• 2 weeks later...

I had my sanding guy working on a couple guitars today getting them ready for paint.

This Cocobolo Sapwood topped SS7 is one of them and it's going to become one hell of a nice guitar when its finished

10171100_628650950550076_289883842467681

• Like 2

Thanks Sancho

It is turning out to be quite nice. Its a great shame that after shaping into the guitar two dark dots appeared right on the front in between the two pickups, but what can we do? Its timber. Its a 3D natural object and will always throw surprises at us. On the rear there are two tiny pinholes do small won't show up in a photo, but they line up with these dark dots.

This isn't 2k, this is a rubbed on by hand sealer, if I was spraying the guitar wouldn't be hanging out in the dusty workshop!

But yes, 2k sticks to everything as long as the surface is prepped.

Indeed. I would go as far as saying that 2k is almost as forgiving as shellac when it comes to adhesion. Speaking of which, a spit coat of shellac is as good as a guarantee if the surface you're working with is somewhat....fractious....

Here are a few comments some of which are about the fretwork on a recent guitar I sold, the guy is a collector of high end brand name guitars, so his comparison is not against shop bought, but against luthier built.

These are just cut and paste extracts from what I'll simply describe as a couple dozen seperate messages over a couple day period

(It was the Rimu guitar by the way)

****ing love the way it plays and sounds mate!!!! Holy ****!!! That neck profile!!!!

That binding in person is beautiful!!

Nicest neck heel I've ever played!! Fretboard and neck are simply beautiful!! Fret work is high end! 3 toggle switches and tone pot have opened up so many tone variations!! Body shape and weight are both spot on!! Workmanship on the construction is also high end!! Once I've unplugged it I will look over it as it came strait out of the case into the amp lol
Playability = 10/10!!

Was in tune straight outta the case!

Bro I can't put it down!!! Don't you ever under estimate your skills mate cos this is the best playing guitar I've owned!!
I wouldn't hesitate for one second to get you to build me another one!! I'm an even bigger fan of your work now!!! I WILL be back for ss7 when the time comes!!