Searls Guitars 2014

demonx

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bit of time free this morning so I cut the backstrip for the Back Bracing to sit flush.

10600363_678872668861237_494349507506653

10349876_678873805527790_158849900014548

I've also come to the realization that out of my 100+ clamps, none of them are long enough to clamp all the bracing how I'd like, so it's a job postponed until the twenty new clamps I just ordered arrive.

Clamps. Can never own enough.

My first journey into side bending is a partial failure. I was worried about breaking it, I burned it instead.

Attempt #1 was stained in blues and greens. I used boiled tap water, apparently that is not enough.

This pic is of attempt #2, I could not find distilled water anywhere, so I used mineral free water. Big difference with only a small amount of water/mineral staining in comparison, however the second time I had the wrong probe hooked up and before I realized my mistake I'd over baked the waist.

After lunch it seems I'll be cutting more Blackwood.

10600457_679893758759128_662196325124573

The second attempt I tensioned the screw adjustments a lot tighter and the metal sheet didn't buckle like it is in this first pic.

10484035_680286285386542_780420516226212

Watching you and John on your first builds makes me think it is as hard as I thought it would be.

SR

At this point I wouldn't say anything has been hard, although I'm yet to get to the neck join. It's more a case of problem solving things as it's so different to what I'm used to.

For example I've overcome most of my side bending issues, I am having trouble with ripples and I've been told this is due to using flat sawn timber and I need to use quarter sawn. Well, I'm using stuff that was laying around in the workshop for practice and it's news to me that flat sawn doesnt bend as flat like quarter sawn does. It's little things .like this that I need to learn as it's all new territory.

This pic is the best side I've achieved so far. Minimal staining. No burn marks, but there are slight ripples. I need to hunt down some quarter sawn material now to do further test bends.

10413362_681378965277274_842802843867027

So after mastering solid body builds it comes as a new learning curve?

That makes perfect sense....and probably requires an open mind towards learning new techniques. Maybe there's hope for me after all.

SR

I never said I've mastered Solid Body builds!

That makes perfect sense....and probably requires an open mind towards learning new techniques. Maybe there's hope for me after all.

SR

Perhaps not, but the rest of us say it!

SR

SR

SR

My opinion is this.

Anyone who "thinks" they have mastered luthiery needs to step back and take a reality check. Their ego is getting in the way of reality. There is always something new to learn or an area that is still to be explored. Solid Bodies, Hollow bodies, Acoustics, Semi's, Ukes, Violins, this type of paint, that type of paint, this type of binding, that type of binding. There is ALWAYS something to learn. Unfortunately in every field there are those who have an inflated ego, they think they are either the best or amongst the best. But what is "The Best", it's subjective, as to what one thinks is awesome there is another that won't touch it.

If a person genuinely feels this, that they are either the best or among the best, chances are they are delusional and their narcissism is blurring their vision. It doesn't matter what field you practice, be it art, sport, music, whatever, the same principal applies. Unfortunately in luthiery, we have the same. Builders out there that have massively inflated egos. In some cases the internet can turn them into forum trolls. In some cases the person may build a good instrument, in other cases they fall far from that tree, but it's not so much to do with the instrument but their attitude. If the person is a genuine, good natured and down to earth person, then they won't have this ego problem.

A friend of mine is a retired luthier. I call him a "Master Luthier", he says he hates the term and doesn't even call himself a luthier. When I sit in his workshop and look at the photo's and "thank you's" on the wall, its like a hall of fame. Some of our countries biggest (and international) artists are on that wall and I'm talking all walls of the entire workshop covered in photo's after a 40 year building career. His guitars are flawless. I see the work he does and cannot even imagine getting to that level myself. When we first met he asked to see my work and me being embarrassed at that thought suggested I'm just a guy who tinkers in his shed. His reply was "That's all I am"! My response was "yeah, but I don't have have people flying from all over the world to pick up their guitars". He responded with a shrug and something along the lines of when I've been doing it as long as he has I will.

Long story short - NO-ONE has mastered Luthiery. There is always something to learn and the learning will stop if you have an ego.

• Like 3

SR

SR

My opinion is this.

Anyone who "thinks" they have mastered luthiery needs to step back and take a reality check. Their ego is getting in the way of reality. There is always something new to learn or an area that is still to be explored. Solid Bodies, Hollow bodies, Acoustics, Semi's, Ukes, Violins, this type of paint, that type of paint, this type of binding, that type of binding. There is ALWAYS something to learn. Unfortunately in every field there are those who have an inflated ego, they think they are either the best or amongst the best. But what is "The Best", it's subjective, as to what one thinks is awesome there is another that won't touch it.

If a person genuinely feels this, that they are either the best or among the best, chances are they are delusional and their narcissism is blurring their vision. It doesn't matter what field you practice, be it art, sport, music, whatever, the same principal applies. Unfortunately in luthiery, we have the same. Builders out there that have massively inflated egos. In some cases the internet can turn them into forum trolls. In some cases the person may build a good instrument, in other cases they fall far from that tree, but it's not so much to do with the instrument but their attitude. If the person is a genuine, good natured and down to earth person, then they won't have this ego problem.

A friend of mine is a retired luthier. I call him a "Master Luthier", he says he hates the term and doesn't even call himself a luthier. When I sit in his workshop and look at the photo's and "thank you's" on the wall, its like a hall of fame. Some of our countries biggest (and international) artists are on that wall and I'm talking all walls of the entire workshop covered in photo's after a 40 year building career. His guitars are flawless. I see the work he does and cannot even imagine getting to that level myself. When we first met he asked to see my work and me being embarrassed at that thought suggested I'm just a guy who tinkers in his shed. His reply was "That's all I am"! My response was "yeah, but I don't have have people flying from all over the world to pick up their guitars". He responded with a shrug and something along the lines of when I've been doing it as long as he has I will.

Long story short - NO-ONE has mastered Luthiery. There is always something to learn and the learning will stop if you have an ego.

There is nothing in your stated opinion that I can argue with.....in fact it is a very healthy attitude that should serve you well--it should serve us all well.

And I'm sure we've all run across a few of those trolls you mention.

So, I'm going to attempt to phrase my opinion in more level terms. Your solid body builds have reached a high level of competency. Based on what you've shared with us, they look great, sound great, and appear to be easy to play. They also appear to be selling, so my opinion must be shared by others.

Now take a little pride in what you have accomplished so far, and go out and try to get better dammit. :D

I do admire the desire to learn to make a decent acoustic. Do keep showing us what you learn as you learn it.

SR

• Like 2

Master is a relative term. And it is sub genre specific (acoustic, solid body, archtop, semihollow, etc...).

While I agree with everything you said I will say that "Master" is a term you can not apply unto yourself as an artist. "Master" is a term bestowed upon senior members of a group of artisans. You earn the title Master through hard work and dedication to a craft. Usually as a result of a constant need to produce what the artist deems a masterpiece. I think the title Master is situational. For you and I we are not masters as we still know Luthiers that we look up to and learn from. For the up and coming luthier we become Masters to them as we ascend to experienced builder...

I am excited that you are making the jump into acoustics. While I have built several over the years I am a noob to the artistry of acoustic building and think it could be the next frontier for me as a builder.

What a rant... Keep sharing.

• Like 2

Master is a relative term. And it is sub genre specific (acoustic, solid body, archtop, semihollow, etc...).

While I agree with everything you said I will say that "Master" is a term you can not apply unto yourself as an artist. "Master" is a term bestowed upon senior members of a group of artisans. You earn the title Master through hard work and dedication to a craft. Usually as a result of a constant need to produce what the artist deems a masterpiece. I think the title Master is situational. For you and I we are not masters as we still know Luthiers that we look up to and learn from. For the up and coming luthier we become Masters to them as we ascend to experienced builder...

I am excited that you are making the jump into acoustics. While I have built several over the years I am a noob to the artistry of acoustic building and think it could be the next frontier for me as a builder.

What a rant... Keep sharing.

Yup!

SR

• Like 1

So where were we?

Back and sides. I bought some new ones! Fiddleback Blackwood (or flamed Blackwood for you foreigners)

The old ones were flat sawn and they just wouldn't bend smooth , I've been informed that flat sawn will not and quarter sawn will. So much for trying to build out of my scraps, as if I had quarter sawn chunks of wood around big enough to cut a back and sides.

New back in clamps:

file.php?id=11514

The new sides drying in the sun after being scrubbed with oxalic acid and rinsed to get the water marks out after bending.

file.php?id=11510

This is what it looked like before the acid scrub:

file.php?id=11503

I also just pulled this Poplar burl out of clamps. Seems to have joined satisfactorily

The part where the bookmatch doesn't look to line up (just down from the top center) will be where the neck pickup route is, so it'll be all good once cut into a shape.

10624859_687515837996920_744490384705006

• Like 1