Tailcutter 7 string RG

Neven

Is that what it was? Phew....it would be a PITA if that was something that went to the wood....

You're totally right about photos. I find that when you've been working with an instrument for any length of time, you tend to see some areas more than others. My last set-neck bass's "secret spot" was at the back where rear strap button would go. Crazy really, since a guitar isn't like a maze or anything....but they're always that ONE SPOT that you only find when you're examining the weird angles that you photo. :D

Nah, I think this is great. Sparkle and glitter isn't my thing, but hey. I do like the balance of crispness on the edges you've maintained.

Nah, I think this is great. Sparkle and glitter isn't my thing, but hey. I do like the balance of crispness on the edges you've maintained.

Well, I'm unsure if it is or isn't my thing either :)

I had an idea to blend the graphic like this. I'll try to shoot silver again over this sparkle, so it sould be the same shade, only without sparkles on the logo. I want it to be hardly visible, or visible only at an angle, so I hope it will work out that way.

If not, I'll think of something else hopefully. I liked it a lot without sparkles, it looked like it was casted out of metal.

I also have glitter in different colors, but I'm hasitating to use any on this build. We'll see what will happen :)

Here's todays update,
I sanded the front a bit to remove particles of glitter that were sticking out of the lacquer (LightninMike, I had a few clear coats before that, of course :peace ).
Layed down the template, and shot the silver. Here's the result, I wonder if it will still look ok after clear, or it will all just blend together. I hope it should be visible, at least at an angle...
e06dt3.jpg
sm3ypl.jpg
Edited by Neven

• 4 months later...

Hi Pestvic, it actually is the same shade of silver, but there is a layer or two of clear between the two silvers. I also added some silver glitter to clear coats before stencil, so I could achieve more difference. After stencil came a few clear coats to blend everything together.

Logo on headstock is vinyl sticker, also cleared over and sanded until it was flush with lacquer.

Hope I explained well enough, if not I'll try better :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Hey all,
I started another guitar a while ago, so of course I'm gonna share the progress on this one also.
With this one I'm gonna go with the flow, I'm still uncertain about some details, so we'll see where it will take me.
Before I finished my last build, I acquired a nice flame maple board, large enough for few necks and tops. Since my thicknesser is only about 5'' wide, I decided to go with multi-lam looks of neckthru guitars, only with bolt on neck. I actually never tried building a neckthru, and surely ain't gonna do it yet.
So for now I shaped the body, made of flame maple and sapele pieces, and also I made a neck blank with pieces same width like in the body. I hope the lams will flow nicely once put together.
I'm gonna put one EMG 85 on this one, a Schaller roller bridge and Schaller tuners (everything used, no new parts). Still unsure of fingerboard wood, and of finish color (got some red stain left, so I might go with it, along with faux binding).
Here are some pics:
20140906_212233_zpsac290e54.jpg
20140906_212143_zpsec3436f3.jpg
20140906_212310_zps9a089860.jpg
20140906_212352_zps9c9f5260.jpg
20140906_212332_zps09fa845f.jpg
20140906_212649_zps7f3da0ab.jpg
Thanks for watching!
All suggestions regarding finish will be taken to consideration :)
  • Like 1

I'd like an objective opinion about a headstock design. I'm trying to avoid using the Ibby headstock again, and add a little personal touch.

Since everything is already out there, there's not much I can do to be absolutely original, but I'm trying at least not to make an exact copy of something.

I played a bit with bezier curves, and these I like the most so far

headstock2_zps2fd96ad3.jpg

headstock1_zps57df2f00.jpg

Yeah, but I don't have any reverse tuners, so I gotta go with standard orientation.

I have enough decent hardware to build 3-4 guitars at the moment, so basicaly I create a guitar around what's available.

I think I'm gonna go with curved tip (the bottom one), i think it flows better with the body shape.

I'm gonna do a more realistic mockup to see where I'm heading...

Thanks for comments guys!

I played a bit in Photoshop, and here's what I come with. i like it so far, I think I'm ok with this headstock shape, and this combination is what I have in mind at the moment.

Maybe I'll come up with something else before I come to finishing stages...

So far I'm happy with it. Now I'll have to cut off all my other headstocks and rebuild them like this...

Kidding... :D

flame6mockup_zpsf444b9f2.jpg

Yeah the curved edge is definitely a real eye popper, love it :). I love reverse headstock's, but that design looks sharp as hell either way, pun intended!

I was talking to my cousin last night about wood working philosophy, and he was sharing with me how sometimes his best projects come from looking at his pile of wood and parts etc and letting what's available dictate the project. I think that's pretty cool.

I'm sure these will turn out pretty beast. Looking forward to seeing it sir :)

-Brett

• 8 months later...

Hi all!

Just wanted to share few pictures of progress on my latest build.

I kinda went off the track, changed a few ideas and plans on the way... Started making the neck with my own headstock, as anounced, but when it started taking shape, it just "didn't click" on me. I'll try to play with some more ideas hopefully in the future, but this time just didn't have motivation to do so, so I just sawed of the headstock and remodeled a new one. Familiar shape. A shame, you might say, but I felt better with it. Ibanez's RG/Jem is a shape that grew on me so much, and basically it is why I started playing and building after all. So, to hell with it, let's just go on. Maybe some other time...

A few pics of the current state:

20150516_081742_zpshtxo8bns.jpg

20150516_081815_zpsntyohet1.jpg

20150516_081926_zpsfctcl5h4.jpg

20150516_082023_zpsbsbdulty.jpg