Project: S9 Progress Thread 2014 - RAD

There you are. I was figuring you've been awful busy lately.

Non-Guitar Busy. Tired of losing to wood. Fed up with process. Decided to take a break and fix some stuff around the house (misses orders).

There is nothing boring about putting oil on figured wood. That maple is sweet but the wookie looks like its made out of fire.

I can't wait to see it with hardware.

SR

The trick to the wookiee is going to be continuing the fire look... not sure what the answer will be outside nitro and polish (ughh)

The trick to the wookiee is going to be continuing the fire look... not sure what the answer will be outside nitro and polish (ughh)

Gold hardware, perhaps? I seem to remember you being fond of that kind of "guitar bling" ;)

Keep it up. You see the moderator in my title? You really want to poke the bear?

• Like 1

Dude wants sequins and all kinds of gold on it.

Ha! Sequins are for strippers. You guys know I would never do Gold Hardware. I hatessss the gold hardwaresssss it burrnnnssss!

On a serious note silliness aside these are getting black hardware.

Well played Diffidentia well played.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After 3 seal coats of thin nitro on top of the cured oil it gets flattened out with some 600 grit. We are not trying to fill the grain or anything just shrink wrap the top in nitrocellulose so we can buff it and make it shine. Still needs to be really thin and feel like wood though.

IMG_20140504_120441_zpsuznutgcp.jpg

Next we tape off the top with something that won't bleed and will leave a sharp line. Then a little masking tape skirt to protect from over spray.

IMG_20140504_120446_zpsvqlbnqia.jpg
IMG_20140504_120449_zps1vwfwsxu.jpg

I might make these satin in the end. It looks pretty good shiny though.

Every time I think I'm going to make something satin, I see it shiny and I can't go back to satin. Something about the depth in the high gloss finish won't let me go.

How long has it been since you've used any dye or done a burst?

SR

I might make these satin in the end. It looks pretty good shiny though.

Every time I think I'm going to make something satin, I see it shiny and I can't go back to satin. Something about the depth in the high gloss finish won't let me go.

How long has it been since you've used any dye or done a burst?

SR

I have only done 2 S9s with any type of color. Both were first run prototypes and both were dyed black. I did the first S9 Express in black several years ago and the 7 string Multiscale prototype last year. Both had very plain wood with no crazy tops.

When I do my telecaster guitars I always make the finish a bit darker on the edges than the center. But I use the same color and just make a few extra passes. Not a real burst. This one is real.

Vintage Amber burst... one color

IMG_20131117_131513_zpsf5f29d0a.jpg

Blue burst... still one color only

IMG_20121111_125723.jpg

Orange burst... still only one color

P8310786.jpg

Last 2 color burst... Summer 2010

P7030778.jpg

• Like 1