Project: S9 Progress Thread 2014 - RAD

Brett- before I highjack about cats and such- great work as always. u guys that have 9-5s (or more) and can pull off all this work always amaze me.

ScottR- as sick as it may sound- when I saw the title " cat and a bat" i was hoping the guy was going to homerun the fur ball. my apologies to any forum members of PETA. I guess I had the old cartoon short- bambi vs godzilla in my mind.

end of highjack.

Edited by Mr Natural
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I liked the question just pointing out that you guys are all dirty lurkers.

Yes, we are... <_<

I thought I should at least say thanks for such progress batch I saw few days ago... but man, your jobs are so sophisticated... I mean, you're a master and I'm a noob, I just can behave like a student: be quiet and listen to the master.

But I love to peek your workshop and methods... this is my favourite post with no doubt! Please keep posting or I will suicide.

I liked the question just pointing out that you guys are all dirty lurkers.

Yes, we are... <_<

I thought I should at least say thanks for such progress batch I saw few days ago... but man, your jobs are so sophisticated... I mean, you're a master and I'm a noob, I just can behave like a student: be quiet and listen to the master.

But I love to peek your workshop and methods... this is my favourite post with no doubt! Please keep posting or I will suicide.

Says the guy with GOTY!

No worries I won't quit posting it is a habit now plus all the python I wrote to do it makes it easier. I know the only reason to comment is if someone is doing something really wrong (like building a PRS copy)

Scott -- That video made me cry. I have a dog like that.

Mr. Natural -- Love that video. I remember seeing that as a kid in the 70s and laughing for days.

Wes -- Just do what you do. <-- not sure you needed a reply but I wanted to let you know I know you are watching o_O

3 days in the house surrounded by snow is driving me nuts.

No worries I won't quit posting it is a habit now

It reminds me when I was working with guitars at home... after the hard work, a beer, a big joint and the progress update to the forum... those where good times. I left my home 7 months ago to move to another country and now I miss a lot all my guitar building stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Where did we leave off... it has been a busy month of crazy stuff none of it guitar related.

Ok. Multiscale 7 strings on the CNC. This batch was done wrong. The new process is much simpler. But I have to waste the fretboards and work so I will finish these 2 the hard way. It was not easy or fun lining everything up so I could finish it on the CNC. It would probably be easier to have finished them by hand. However I hate routers so I am going to use the CNC.

IMG_20140215_153554_zps4ypgldlz.jpg
IMG_20140215_162352_zpslr33axdt.jpg

Looking into the top for one of these. Initial responses on Facebook were stupid (surprise) so I am not sure where I am going with this. I might skip this top all together and do something more crazy. The real issue is that this is the first full CNC 7 and if I made a mistake I hate to waste a really epic top.

IMG_20140216_144716_zpsopuokfpb.jpg
IMG_20140216_144721_zps7s9x1tau.jpg

IMG_20140216_144746_zps8d3ryu5m.jpg
IMG_20140216_144756_zps1zdyjvls.jpg

That bench is getting a real workout.

This is a huge neck blank. Zebrawood and Bubinga.

Those two little bubinga stringers are looking lost in the jungle. :unsure:

SR

I am having a hard time finding the right wood to pair with Zebra on necks. Ebony does ok if it is wide enough but everything else seems to get lost. Next I might try Bloodwood (surprise!) because it will contrast enough. I think Padauk might work as well but I have sworn off the stuff.

Maybe purple heart but I hate it as well. It is a tool killer...