Project: S9 Progress Thread 2014 - RAD

Love that veneer in the back!...

My typical undesired opinion about the finish: a tobacco sunburst + natural binding would be an option for the top... XD

You OUT! Out of my store!

>me< Points to sign on wall that reads

"No Binding"

"No Inlays"

"No Sunbursts unless really necessary to save a poor choice in top wood"

Tobacco Sunburst? Is this a Harmony from Sears and Roebuck?

1967_01s.jpg

Natural binding? What do I look like PRS? I am no second rate hack... __if__ and this is a HUGE __if__ I am ever going to do binding it will be Vintage Ivoroid Celluloid Nitrate

prs-privatestockhb2-4642-4T.jpg?13859701

Next you will be asking for falling bird inlays...

BTW, can I ask why do you cover the entire guitar?

When you get epoxy on Mahogany it runs in the pores and stops the Teak Oil Finish from penetrating in that spot. It usually leaves a noticeable dark spot. I have notoriously bad luck when using epoxy and this has happened more than once. Sanding out a spot of epoxy is really tedious and most times causes a deformation in the area you had to sand it because of the amount of wood you have to remove.

That's awesome. How was it?

SR

Not as good as you would want it to be. I think the trip across the pond and sitting in a warehouse for a few days make it seem a bit flat. Also it was pretty sweet...

I am spoiled I have 3 really really good brewers within a stones throw of the Triangle so I always get really fresh craft beers. I think all I drink anymore are seasonals from the local microbrews.

Highland is the farthest away at 5 hours but man the beer is good. They don't have a beer that sucks. The Oatmeal Porter is awesome. The Pale Ales are killer as well.

https://www.highlandbrewing.com

FootHills Torch Pilsner is a great beer and they are barely 90 minutes from me

http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/

Then Lonerider is just across the way

http://www.loneriderbeer.com/

I am so spoiled.

That's awesome. How was it?

SR

Not as good as you would want it to be. I think the trip across the pond and sitting in a warehouse for a few days make it seem a bit flat. Also it was pretty sweet...

Funny thing is, we tried that a few weeks ago. Nina said it wasn't any special and dismissed it pretty quickly. I gave it some time and thought and figured out what it was. A basic British pub ale. Nothing wacky or pretentious, just a simple pulled pint that you'd get a in traditional British pub. Satisfying in its homeliness and simplicity.

The thing is, I'm not even sure if that is what they were aiming for. The brewers who made that are known to my Norwegian architect friend who did some work on their brewery or somesuch. Tight-fisted unpleasant people apparently. It wouldn't surprise me if they just banged out a basic ale purely on the basis of it being a safe bet.

So there you have it. Whether I am reading into the label too much and imagining a tr00 British ale celebrating the Irons' best-of-British tack, or it is lacklustre product of dubious origin, I am not sure.

If I wanted a reliable good British ale that reminded me of a traditional pulled pint, I would vote for Batemans XB. Not sure if you can get it over there though, Brett.

So there you have it. Whether I am reading into the label too much and imagining a tr00 British ale celebrating the Irons' best-of-British tack, or it is lacklustre product of dubious origin, I am not sure.

like a can of Budweiser with a Metallica sticker on it.

• Like 1

I went into it thinking that might be the case, as it seems to be with all of the other "branded metal beers". I have to say that I enjoyed it for what it was. A nice pub ale done well. It took me back to my childhood days and the smell of the beers in pubs and my dad's ales. Nostalgic, although whether by design is anybodies guess.

Starting on a new bass pickup. While I would love to build this with large pole magnets but they are hard to find and expensive. So the design here will use more conventional parts... actually like hardware store parts. What do you need to build a pickup? Flatwork, Low Carbon Steel, and Magnets. For the pole pieces I want them large so I grabbed a piece of 3/8" cold rolled steel at Lowes. The great thing about the Music Man pickup is the big poles. The bad thing is finding parts. Basically there are no aftermarket parts so we have to do everything from scratch.

I don't have a lathe so I used a hack saw to cut the rods to length. I could use the chop saw and get them perfect but the heat generated in the rod causes the steel to change its character.

IMG_20140329_115131_zpss6gjdwrf.jpg
IMG_20140329_115302_zpsxdueg6zi.jpg

Cutting the rods with the hacksaw leaves a messy end. If you look at steel pole slugs in a humbucker they have a nice circular pattern on them from the lather cutting process. I am going to mock that out. Squared the rods on the disk sander and adjusted the lengths to suit what I am trying to do.

Next I chuck the rod in the drill press.

IMG_20140329_115328_zpspulebmkt.jpg

Then I take a mill file and put a slight bevel on the edge and clean up the face removing as many of the scratches form the sander as I can.

IMG_20140329_115400_zps1kawf0no.jpg

Now the trick. 80 grit PSA on a block of MDF. Turn the drill press on and run the rod down onto the block. This creates the swirls I need. Careful not to push too hard as you can really hurt yourself if the block flies out from under the rod.

IMG_20140329_115514_zpscglxyjel.jpg
IMG_20140329_115534_zpscktm6v6v.jpg

I used a wet stone to square the end of the rod before putting the swirls in. This worked better than going straight to the sanding block. The problem with cold rolled steel from Lowes is that it is not very precisely ground and the outside is messy so I have to clean it up with a sanding spong.

IMG_20140329_115539_zpsg0kjsp2v.jpg
IMG_20140329_130259_zpsft9eik0p.jpg

And the results.

IMG_20140329_120055_zpsqjpqm2yp.jpg

Nice work on those poles. And you guys were talking about my patience......I see where your time wnt this weekend.

If you love it it's not time wasted, it's time enjoyed practicing crafstmanship.

SR

(that was kind of an awkward sentence but you get the jist of it) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some pickup work.

Strange set of Diablos. Basically vintage PAF repros with Diablo windings. 49.2mm spacing, butyrate bobbins, US made US steel poles and slugs, US made long leg baseplates, vintage braided wire. Can't wait to stick them in an SG or LP.

IMG_20140331_181350_zpswgyufvfp.jpg
IMG_20140331_181338_zpsjfw0hy02.jpg

Gluing up spalted top. Going to try a new technique. I am going to use a piece of high density foam as a spring in between a caul and the body to try and put consisitent pressure on the top. Flash forward. Turned out ok but don't bother trying it as it was not better than the regular method.

IMG_20140405_111450_zps63u6s1bs.jpg
IMG_20140405_112300_zpsis3jw4zt.jpg

IMG_20140405_112329_zpsdkfkgem6.jpg
IMG_20140405_113008_zpsxenbgdav.jpg