Project: S9 Progress Thread 2014 - RAD

You need a woman in the shop... XD

Like I need another hole in my head.

They just wander by, make faces at the dust, glance at what you're working on, and tell you they're off to buy some shoes.....

SR

Yeah basically. Mine always manages to remind me that her car has never been in the garage...

Man, it's been awhile since the old wookiee poked his head up. I had forgotten about all the subtle accents in that guitar. You make so many guitars that are full of eye candy, one forgets that under it all is very high level craftsmanship and woodworking skills.

SR

This is exactly what I was just thinking! It either feels like I'm seeing it for the first time everytime, or I spot fresh detail that I'd not noticed before. Absolutely fantastic.

They just wander by, make faces at the dust, glance at what you're working on, and tell you they're off to buy some shoes.....

SR

SR

Yeah basically. Mine always manages to remind me that her car has never been in the garage...

Is mine the only one that brings beverages, sweeps and will put things I'm not using away?

SR

SR

Is mine the only one that brings beverages, sweeps and will put things I'm not using away?

Yes.

Mine spends money like a professional but she doesn't get dirty outside ;)

• Like 1

SR

SR

You've got a keeper!!!!!

• Like 1

Nina is surprisingly willing to get her hands dirty too. She wants space in the new house we're hunting for so she can restore an old Mustang fastback. Setting up the studio for ProjectGuitar.com is the priority of course, but since we're moving out of the city, land and outbuildings become cheap really quickly.

Brett, I've got a question about your teak oil technique......er, what is it?

I've used Danish oil for a number of projects and I normally flood the wood and let it soak in and repeat. You get areas that keep soaking it up and areas where it just stands after a while. I wipe off the excess and resoak until it basically just stands everywhere. That gets wiped off after about 30 minutes as well. This process will take several days sometimes, but the end result is a well saturated with a thin surface film.

It looks like you flood the surface multiple times to build up a film that you let cure for several weeks......and then what? Level? Finish sand and polish? Rub it down with a rag?

I've got a design idea beginning to perculate in my head that feels like an oil finish is called for. And maybe a little more film thickness than I use for my carvings would be in order.

SR

Flood once until guitar will not take anymore oil. Let sit 30 - 40 minutes. Wipe up and follow up at least every hour for a few (until you are sure it is done weeping).

Let cure for a time (at least 24 hours).

Sand with 400 grit and oil, wipe excess cross grain.

Let cure for a time (at least 24 hours).

Flood again. If it stands wipe clean shortly after. If it soaks in repeat above minus the scuff with 400.

Add two more light coats at least a day apart. Light coats so wipe on wipe off.

Let cure.

After guitar stops smelling of oil rub with clean rag before assembling.

** Here is where I often break my own rules and add a final coat of hand rubbed poly or varnish straight from the can. Or sometimes I shoot 2 or 3 thin coats of lacquer... Then I wait for that to cure...

Re-post from a few years ago:

When using Teak Oil, China Oil, BLO recipes the usual procedure for the first coat is to flood the wood with oil and keep a coat of oil on it until it stops sinking in. Then after the wood will not take any more oil wipe excess from the surface. Of course depending on the type of oil you may need to "chase" the oil that weeps from the pores several times after.

I usually let this sit overnight (or 3 days...) and then sand the instrument with 400 grit to 600 grit wet/dry paper using the oil as a lubricant. The slurry that builds can be forced into the pores with a rag after sanding. Wipe excess let sit.

After about 3 days you apply another thinner coat. This coat can be applied with a rag and the excess wiped away immediately to a few minutes after. Rinse repeat (usually two more coats) a few more times and leave to cure until the wood stops smelling of oil.

Buff it out with a clean rag (no products).

You're gonna hafta drink your beer left handed then. Maybe in a couple of weeks you can tape it to the next finger over and get back to sanding.

SR

That is the plan.

I tried doing some setup guitar work and that was a complete Fail. I must have hit the pinky 10 times in 10 minutes. Stripping wire left handed sucks. Soldering wasn't too bad until I realized I use my pinky to stabilize my hand. Now I am rethinking the splint over a real cast. I did the splint so I can still type... cause you know I program for a living.

Several years ago a had a hand to elbow cast after breaking my thumb.

I carved the cast away around my fingers so I could still work with them.

The thumb never healed properly and it was re broken and re cast. Very painful, not to mention adding a LOT longer to the healing process.

My advice, let it heal and don't **** around

• Like 1

Several years ago a had a hand to elbow cast after breaking my thumb.

I carved the cast away around my fingers so I could still work with them.

The thumb never healed properly and it was re broken and re cast. Very painful, not to mention adding a LOT longer to the healing process.

My advice, let it heal and don't **** around

Thank you my friend for the advice. I plan to do what you said.

I have a 2mm offset in my right forearm because I didn't "let it heal right" and it has caused a world of issues with riding motorcycles long distances. Causes my right hand to go to sleep if the bars are not bent specifically for the arm. A royal pain in the arse... hurts to ride my 850 T3 Guzzi.

Broken pinky update. I can use the hand for short stints as long as I don't bang the pinky into anything. The metal splint is removable so I can work on bending it now instead of waiting 4 weeks. Dr. said I can't hurt it unless I bang it with something so a quick rehab is what I want.

IMG_20140823_154215_zpsjrs0eur7.jpg

IMG_20140823_154229_zpsj2onkanr.jpg

Still have a lot of fine tuning to do and the frets need dressing.

IMG_20140823_153324_zpse2zbkrza.jpg

IMG_20140823_153332_zpspgglsd3c.jpg