Original's '14

Here we go again!

I finished two right before year's end, so this is almost a clean slate. I'm going to start the new year off with this one. Maple top, Mahogany body, Sapele neck, Cumara fingerboard. Hardware will include Grover Roto's, and an adjustable wrap tail bridge. The electronics will be P-90's with cream covers with master T/V. The binding, and dots will be cream with gold speed knobs. It's a 24 5/8th's scale. I'll fret it with medium wire.

I started on the neck, and glued the blanks in December, but the rest of this one will be on a pretty fast pace. Yesterday I cleaned up the blanks with a scraper, and got the ball rolling.

I'm always slow to make the first cut. Asking myself if it's really the design that I want to build. I'd been fussing over the design on this one more than usual. After going back and forth for days, I committed to this. It's a slight revision of a shape that I've built before.

lavin0_zps83bc93fe.jpg

lavin1_zpsf0c4d2f2.jpg

Gotta have a clamp photo!

lavin2_zps88baa30d.jpg

It's a good shape--go forth and fret no more!

lol I shall! Intrepid, and not looking back.

It's definitely a good shape, and it combats the usual image of a doublecut being out of proportion. Perhaps it's just me, but they never quite look right!

Thanks. I'm always "second guessing" my design. Even to the point of seeing a wood template, and realizing it wasn't what I was trying for only to start fresh again.

Today's progress. It's out of the clamps, and cleaned up. I then thickness planed it with the router sled. The balance of the parts showed up today. I always forget to order strap buttons. <sigh>

lavin3_zpsd5d87862.jpg

lavin4_zps7e224271.jpg

The binding and the fingerboard are done. To pre-shape the plastic binding I tape it tightly to my template then heat it. After it cools the tape comes off clean, and the binding is formed perfectly.

lavin5_zps8f46cf90.jpg

I'll carve a slight bevel around the edge of the top.

lavin6_zps4158a213.jpg

The top is nearly done, and the dot inlays are installed.

lavin7_zps57bc73f5.jpg

You sure you fed that cat? It sure doesn't look happy. <_<

Good ol' Elvis. We rescued him four years ago. The coolest cat ever. He's pretty much unfazed by power tools, dirt bikes, dune buggies, and most things loud and obnoxious. He likes Brian Setzer, and his favorite snack is chicharones.

My thoughts exactly!

The guitar is looking excellent though

Thanks Stu, and Scott. Fortunately, he prefers to sharper his claws on the neighbors palm tree

+1

He looks like he's choosing which piece of exotic he want to try first as a scratching post.

SR

Edited by Original

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, soapbars. Excellent choice. Looking good, nice clean work.

Ahhh, soapbars. Excellent choice. Looking good, nice clean work.

Thanks Peter, It's nice to hear from you. Yeah, How can you go wrong with P-90's?

It's moving along. I'm grain filling on the mahogany. I'm using a sandable finishing resin. It's called Z-Poxy. My first impressions are that I like it. I think all I'll need is two coats. It sands very smooth and clean, and burns in great.

lavin19_zpse1386bb8.jpg

Edited by Original

I've never found any when using it for pore filling either. I did a test to determine how it might work out as a finish a few years back. After building it up to typical clear coat thickness, I did start finding some witness lines. It polished up like a nuclear diamond (to quote Paulie), but the witness lines decided me against considering it for a final finish on some future project. I do like it for grain filling. Even if you could ever find a line it would disappear under the sprayed clear.

SR

This is my first time using aniline's

You have got to get yourself a piece of highly figured maple, even if it's just a scrap and have a go at that. It is soo much fun!

SR

I know what you're saying, but I'm still learning here. I'll work on technique before I start smearing this stuff on real high dollar material. I do this on a really low budget, so for now I'm happy with this maple that I can buy for about $4.50 a b/f The top on that guitar was less that five dollars worth of material. I'm certain that the figuring will be more pronounced with some clear on it.

I bought some maple (and some beautiful 8/4 15" wide Af. Mahog) last Saturday that is more highly figured. I got enough for five book matched tops. The next one will have a little more pizzazz. Until then I'm having as much fun as possible.