KEA 2014 Builds

Thanks Scott.

Most of the time they have a few little things that keep it from being perfect. At least in my mind.

This one had been planned for a really long time, and everything just went really well. The finish is perfect, the construction is immaculate, and it plays and sounds great. So that is why i dubbed it my best.

Here is a teaser pic.

almostfinished016_zps09bbc9bf.jpg

Out of curiosity,if you don't mind saying,how much do you usually get for one of these hardwareless guitars?

If you don't want to say,you don't have to,I am merely curious.

I'll PM You here in a minute.

But i will publicly say, i have been undercharging by a ton. A couple of guys that bought my full builds (real, gigging musicians with other high end gear) estimated my builds to be in the 3200$ range.

Well congrats then.

You know, sitting here looking at this pic a couple more questions come to mind. You occasionally post a pick like this one all strung up and ready to play. But you say you sell them without hardware or electronics. So what do you do, set them up to test and tweek and then take all the goodies off and use them again for the same purpose on the next one?

And this one just occurred to me even though I've been looking at your new version of explorers for as long as you've been building them. The placement or the 3 offsets is perfect for visual balance. Did you get the placement right the first time by putting them hwere the just felt right to you or did you experiment with that for a while and this is what you ended up with?

SR

Normally that is what i do, as far as testing with hardware.

This one however, was meant to be a full, finished build.

I have a set of cheap hardware that i use for testing all of the builds that wont be fully completed.

This one has all of the best hardware on it.

I normally dont actually have an extra set of pickups around.

As far as the offsets,

When i was making the template, i drew out a normal explorer. I had an altered explorer template i had made a few years ago, that had the long horn. So i added that to it, and tweaked the thickness and placement of that for a while.

For the offsets, i just eyeballed them and moved them around a few times on the drawing. I think that was actually the easiest part.

But once i cut the template, i havnt changed it since.

So,

I have come to the conclusion that properly slotting a nut is the absolute hardest part of an entire build. After 8.5 years, i still cant do it right.

After playing this guitar for a day, I have also decide that i dont like this neck profile as much. I tried to make it a little more flat and trapezoidal, but i really prefer my thinner, round shape i used on the SS by far. I am surprised people like the trap/ flat shape necks more.