New To Forum- Fret Questions

RDS

Hello- I have built 10+ guitars/ basses from parts and have modded many more with new parts etc. I'm at a point now where I need to learn more about fret planning and leveling and specifics to these processes such as particular tools and techniques. I'm wondering how to go about this. I know a couple guitar builders but due to how busy they are they really can't spend the kind of time I think I'll need to learn. I'm good at learning on my own. I need suggestions and references that may help such as directional manuels , tools etc -- just a little help with maybe pointing me in the right direction.

I have filed high frets and fret ends in the past . I'm pretty experienced with what I do and I want to move into the fret thing. I'm working with aftermarket parts and am not installing frets. I pretty much just need to correct flaws by manufacturers. I'm running into this more and more-- the more projects I get into.

I have played guitar and bass for more than 40 years. I play professionally and have owned more than 90 guitars so I have a pretty good working knowledge of what's up with them. ( just a bit of background)

Thanks and any help is appreciated.....

Hi RDS and welcome onboard! We're mid-site transition right now so a lot of the old articles about fretting, levelling and dressing are in the queue for conversion to this new site. Whilst this is being done, I am sure that we can go over whatever you need to know here :-)

From the sounds of it, the stage you are at is pretty much fret insertion right? If your dressing and levelling skills are down pat then you have most of the fight won. The one thing that I always keep telling myself is not to jump straight in with fret insertion.

The most important part - in my opinion anyway - is ensuring that your slots are clean and of a good depth, that the slot is bevelled slightly and most importantly that the fingerboard is correctly radiused and straight along its entire length. Any humps or dips in the fingerboard end up showing themselves in the fretwork which means a hell of a lot of levelling and metal being lost. Better to get the board perfect before trying to fill it with frets!

As far as tools are concerned, are you intending on learning to hammer frets in, pressing them or have you not decided yet? Have you got a fret slotting saw, etc. yet or is this another decision to be made?

I found some videos on You Tube and checked them out. I am only needing to level frets. I decided the job should wait untill I can have my repair guy do it. He won't charge me much and he's been doing it for at least 35 yaers. I think that may be the better way to go. I can handle getting buzzes out and filing a few frets but with doing the whole fretboard of frets and follow up procedures -- I just don't have an old neck to use. The neck I'm wanting to do was expensive- even though it's needing attention. I put electric guitars and basses together from after market parts, necks and bodies. I 've had pretty good luck lately untill I bought a neck with a fret hump in it.