Hyperitian-7 Explorer-style guitar

Prostheta

Hi everyone. To start off this section, I present a derivative of the Explorer which I am tentatively naming "Hyperitian-7". The objective of this thread is to publicly involve the community in the design, ultimately resulting in a final complete instrument drawing and set of design processes. An open source guitar!

I chose the name Hyperitian as this is a period of the earth's geological history ~4500 million years ago. This saw the lighting of the celestial body that is now our sun and the collisions/aggregations of the proto-planets. So, not just a cool-sounding name then! ;-)

The basics of this design are a 7-string Explorer-type guitar over a lightly-extended scale. The hardware options are based on Hipshot components (hardtail guitar bridge and tuners) plus either Seymour Duncan covered 7-string pickups, EMG soapbars or similar. The hope is that the design can be refined into a publicly-available design, "shopping list" and build process.

Does the design look similar to the Aria Pro II ZZ guitar from the eighties? Maybe it does.

I'll concede you that one, Wes!

The Downloads section is good to be populated now. Everything in there will be freely accessible and I'd like to think could be put out there under some sort of Creative Commons style attribution licence. Hell, build away! It's all good :-)

Any input on the design so far?

Looks like a 7 string Aria Pro II ZZ or a Takmine GX-100 with a reverse headstock and an extra string.

Very Matsumoku.

I would not try to make the heel/neck joint bigger to accommodate the 7 string neck. It destroys the flow of the horn curves. Instead leave the 6 string sized heel.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this design. I always thought the Aria Pro and Takemine spin on the Explorer was the definitive exolution of the original Gibson shape. It is sleek, fast, and quite sexy looking, and stands head and shoulders above the Explorer pro(which looks like a Chunk from the Goonies version of the Explorer), or any of the other manufacture spins. Where do you plan on installing the selector switch if any? I also wonder if perhaps a TOM style bridge with string through body may add to the refined body shape instead of the Hipshot fixed. Have you decided on what woods you plan on using for construction yet?

The objective for plans like these is to provide a basis for other builders to make their own projects from that design. Rather than a "how-to" it will be a basic design which can be modified to suit. Pickup and circuit configurations are easy to swap around. I think this will be a bolt-on design to make it simpler. Perhaps even a "shopping list" of components might be useful. I'm a bit sidetracked at the moment, however these designs should become a monthly thing. A new one each month.