Lets turn that drill press into a pro buffing station..transformers&#3

XBIGJIMX

So anyway I have this Craftsman Drill press I was given, but I already had a floor drill press. So i posted it on Craigs list but after a month no takers what to do with it. Well I was half asleep and the thought popped in my head .."Hey why not make it the buffing station you need". So I said well that a damn fine idea.....

image_zps3d4f1746.jpg

So the only thing I bought was the wheels and this from Grizzly

C7183E96-DCF1-4B13-909B-38EAF8694C40_zps

After pulling it apart and tossing the extra parts I was left with the motor , pulleys, belt, and stand.

BF3659F8-FBBF-4738-AD57-2AC55B104D7D_zps

So i started off adding some extensions so I would have some clearance from the stand so I don't accidentally bump into what ever i was buffing. So I grabbed some scrap Cherry and Maple. I cut em to the size needed and angled the edges with a hand plane.
660C702B-3B3F-48B1-916F-7B2856E89EEF_zps

Now I was really interested int he pulleys because I wanted the ability to adjust speed. Cause when doing finishing slow is always good. Now the first issue was the I.D. was to small to fit the arbor. So I am to cheap to buy the correct size so lets mod this sucker out. To the Lathe! So I bored it out to fit and then drilled out and tapped 3 set screws in the first hub.
9A0CDB6A-84B9-45F6-AF65-CBEF3474FA56_zps

Next Plugged the countersunk screws with Walnut and added a few coats of Tung Oil. And made a box for the switch out of maple and wired that.
7263162E-0F5B-4559-8DDB-AAC2FE574C7A_zps

Now with everything bolted in. I added the wheels and made some washers/stiffeners out of some end grain cutting board scraps. And boom one professional buffing machine with adjustable speeds
A76998E0-F6E4-4C8C-BBAA-9F19DF229C99_zps

2AB26091-1804-4B0F-B0BF-F8431CE2D2C6_zps

Now I was really interested in the pulleys because I wanted the ability to adjust speed. Cause when doing finishing, slow is always good. Now the first issue was the I.D. was to small to fit the arbor. So I am to cheap to buy the correct size so lets mod this sucker out. To the lathe! So I bored it out to fit and then drilled out and tapped 3 set screws in the first hub.

Can you help me out here? I'm maybe not looking at this straight....Finland vs. Russia hockey on....

Now I was really interested in the pulleys because I wanted the ability to adjust speed. Cause when doing finishing, slow is always good. Now the first issue was the I.D. was to small to fit the arbor. So I am to cheap to buy the correct size so lets mod this sucker out. To the lathe! So I bored it out to fit and then drilled out and tapped 3 set screws in the first hub.

Can you help me out here? I'm maybe not looking at this straight....Finland vs. Russia hockey on....

Hockey is always the best distraction.

What that is on the pulley that was orginally attached to the spindle, is what was going on the arbor of the buffing wheels. The inside diameter of it 1/2" but it needed to be 3/4" So I had to either turn down the arbor or bore out the pulley. Went with latter. Does that make sense? sorry sometimes my brain does not explain things very well :)

Awfully dirty game. The Russian team are ridiculously underhanded and unsporting. Kontiola (FI) got a 2+10 penalty for simple roughing whilst Shipachyov (RU) blinded-sided Jormakka, hospitalising him for no penalty. I mean, seriously. It makes you wonder how much Russian money is in the back pocket of the Swedish head referee, or whether he was threatened with being part of a new bridge's foundations.

http://www.iihfworlds2014.com/en/news/fin-rus/

That's seriously not a good idea. Morse tapers don't take sideloads very well, so as soon as you apply any pressure or an imbalance the whole thing drops out, spinning. This is why I don't like Robosanders unless you ram the end down onto the table.