How to deal with fraudulent websites?

In the past year or so, i have came across quite a few websites that are offering my guitars for sale (ones that i even still had at the time) and ones from certain sites that claim they are the ones making them.

One of the sites i recently found even copied and pasted word for word from my black explorer thread.

I also had found a website trying to sell one of the guitars i still had at the time for 4000$, using my pictures and other things.
How do you deal with this kind of stuff?

I even had one from about 6 years ago show up on ebay, and the guy wouldnt believe i made it because some other website claimed they made it.

• Like 1

Not entirely sure. I presume that you are referring to free options? Legal action is always costly even if you "win". I would find out who their hosting company is and send abuse@ (or whoever) an email with your protestations. Other than that you are somewhat limited. There are many more knowledgeable people than I about such things.

Do you have some sort of logo/decal on your guitars? If you do it should make it harder for other people to claim your work as their own.

Some companies have nice little easter eggs hidden inside of products, Blackstone appliances has "stop obsessing and play yr guitar" scribed into some of their PCBs. You could hide some little detail inside of the guitar if you don't want to go down a big logo on your builds, so that if you ever have to prove that you built something you'll know some little secret detail hidden somewhere inside the guitar ;) (initials on the heel of a bolt on neck or inside the control cavity, etc)

But it's hard to do anything about fraudulent websites unless they have a physical address listed. I'd just be mindful that there are people out there who are looking to buy your work and sell it on at a higher price whenever you are selling from now on.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I am just more upset that somebody else is getting credit for my work, and that some places are claiming that they will build you one just like it (claiming they made the original)

Again, as far as prices, i am unable to charge more. I cant even get 1000 for the sapele super strat i just built, and it is near flawless.

as far as i know the only thing you can do is get them for copy right infringement you own the rights to the photos you took and have control over there usage.

you might try watermarking your photos from this point forward. and create your own site might help.

good luck

Again, as far as prices, i am unable to charge more. I cant even get 1000 for the sapele super strat i just built, and it is near flawless.

I think the problem is that most people looking to buy a custom guitar is going to want to have it customised to their specs. Where are you trying to sell it? If you're just trying to sell online it might be a good idea to ask a local store with a reputation for having high-quality/vintage guitars to sell it for you, that way you'll have a lot of guitarists with big budgets walking past it everyday, and it's probably going to be one of the most unique pieces in the shop.

Any work of yours that I've seen on this was top quality, so the problem isn't that your prices are too high it's just finding the right customers! Litter your work around the local music shops and ask the owners to tell anyone looking at them that you will build to order, and I'm sure you'll be off your feet with people looking for custom guitars from you, and willing to pay a lot more than 1000 once they've seen and played your guitars first hand! :D

you might try watermarking your photos from this point forward.

+1 on the watermarking

Thanks for the advice.

I advertise pretty much only on social media. I have always been able to sell them through there or ebay. I knew making standard shaped guitars would be a problem, there are just too many of them out there. I am going back to building explorers.

We only have 2 local music shops here, and only one within 20 miles, and they dont do consignment.

I also do not build to order, it is way too stressful, and i promised myself i wouldnt do it again unless it is something i am extremely confident in, which right now, is nothing.