My Bass Project

Okay, hit a snag when shaping the neck. I want a trapezoidal neck since I have a bad left wrist (I am a recovering adrenaline junkie) and this feels better when playing. When I was routing for the truss rod, I had a yip with the router. I didn't think it was a problem until...

I am planning on squaring up the gap and gluing in a piece of the maple. UGH!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had time to work on this over the weekend (sorry, no pics yet). I repaired the hole on the neck and continued to shape the neck. Just my luck, I ran into ANOTHER issue. The truss rod started to be uncovered near the headstock and i could feel the wood bow under the truss rod. Routed too deep. Well, from reading the posts on here from demonx, RestorationAD, and others, I decided to take a few breaths and reassess. Using a small saw, I cut out the section of thin wood and measured a replacement piece.

This is a bit frustrating, but a learning experience.

I find stepping away for a while with beer in hand helps calm the nerves :)

Is making a decorative stripe the full length of the neck (think Fender skunk stripe) out of the question? Would probably look neater and more deliberate than a small patchup job in one region of the neck. However, if the trussrod channel is routed too deep the full length of the neck it may continue to reveal issues as you carve more...

Alternatively, sometimes you just need to cut your losses and start over. I'm having to do the same for a neck on one of my previous builds. I just made a poor choice on the timber for the neck and now it warps and twists around like crazy in colder weather. It happens sometimes, but it can be cathartic to start afresh.

The body wings in your bass can undoubtedly be saved by cutting out the neck-thru section, and you can start over with a fresh neck blank and the extra knowledge gained by experience.

I find stepping away for a while with beer in hand helps calm the nerves :)

Is making a decorative stripe the full length of the neck (think Fender skunk stripe) out of the question? Would probably look neater and more deliberate than a small patchup job in one region of the neck. However, if the trussrod channel is routed too deep the full length of the neck it may continue to reveal issues as you carve more...

Alternatively, sometimes you just need to cut your losses and start over. I'm having to do the same for a neck on one of my previous builds. I just made a poor choice on the timber for the neck and now it warps and twists around like crazy in colder weather. It happens sometimes, but it can be cathartic to start afresh.

The body wings in your bass can undoubtedly be saved by cutting out the neck-thru section, and you can start over with a fresh neck blank and the extra knowledge gained by experience.

Curtis, thanks for the info. The truss rod is a 3/4" square aluminum bar, so the upper end of the neck was thin. I do have extra cherry and walnut for a new neck, but I'll need to get some maple, which is not too expensive around here.

Lucky for me (maybe?) the wings are not attached to the neck yet. For me, it was easier to shape the neck and fretboard. I cut the top 1/4" off of the cherry for the wings and hollowed it out to try and lighten it. The tops were then reglued.

3/4" square trussrod is pretty large, and doesn't leave an awful lot of wood in the neck to carve without risking hitting the channel or ending up with a structurally unsound neck. I'd be tempted to scrap the neck outright and restart from scratch with a lower-profile trussrod. The typical dual action rods that get used a lot by guys here are only 1/4" square and are more than adequate to withstand the tension of a 4 string bass neck.

• 1 month later...

Okay, sorry I haven't been in here (and building) lately, I've been out of my local area due to work. Well, it's one way to make the money for this, and the other things in my life.

I was able to get to the wood shop today to reassess the bass. I've decided to take curtisa's advice and scrap the neck. I will continue to use it as a learning experience and a template on what I want it to look like, but remember to step back and drink a cold beverage when I begin to get nervy.

One other thing I am doing, my friend who has the wood shop is a decoy carver. He is working with me to carve an American Goldfinch for my daughter. She loves sitting quietly and still (almost impossible for an 8 year-old) to watch them come to our porch.

I appreciate this site for the expertise of the posters and the amazing work y'all have done.

Oh, I have maple left over for the neck, but I am thinking of black walnut with it instead of cherry. Any thoughts?

Edited by Chuck_Chill-Out

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, in cleaning out my in-law's house, we realized my father-in-law was a hoarder:

IMG_1985_zps1e8f409e.jpgIMG_1984_zps3596f80b.jpg

I took some pieces that I think I can use in the future and contacted the PA Guild of Craftsmen and someone is coming this week to take it all.

Back to building. Unclamped the wood and started to place it level:

2014-11-16161156_zpse48a1f9f.jpg

The fretboard I was able to salvage from the destroyed neck.

2014-11-16161149_zpsedfbdf5c.jpg

Burning will be this Saturday evening. Marshmallows and hotdogs included.

A lot of us find it hard to throw away off-cuts of high end wood.......we just know we'll have a use for it in the future. :D

SR

A local cabinetmaker was over this weekend. We spent two hours going though the wood and picking out what he wanted. Filled hid van and didn't make a dent in the wood piles.

I learned a lot on what to look for and what types of wood were there.

Yup, looks tight. How wide is that truss rod?

SR

3/4" square aluminum. I know, it's a bit wide, but it's what I have on hand. I marked the side of the neck the depth of the truss rod so I don't have the same mistake happen again. I also decided to stop there and end on a good note.

Back in the shop on Friday to begin shaping the neck.

Edited by Chuck_Chill-Out

There's nothing wrong with experimenting and having fun, hey I even heard a story that someone checked Brian May's guitar and the truss rod hadn't been tensioned, don't know if that is true or not, but it's a great myth. So yes, I will be interested to see how it goes :)