My Bass Project

• 4 weeks later...

My wife's birthday was yesterday, so I took some time off and took her to lunch. After she went back to work, I had time to work on this project that seems to be taking as long as my college carreer (I'm a 15 year Non-Trad Senior).

2015-01-20144331_zps2d6d15a7.jpg

I know I am doing this backwards, but I shaped the neck and then will work on shaping the transitions.

2015-01-20144310_zpse050368e.jpg

The lighting is not the best for pictures, but I was surprised how quickly it came into shape. Using a microplane and rasps was a workout, but I had more control instead of using a belt sander (which is a #learnfrommyfail moment from the last neck I attempted to shape.

Now, I have a question, and I am pretty sure it will come down to personal preferences, but i would like honest opinions. I placed the persimmon on the neck to get a visual of what it would look like, but are there any positives/negatives for either side?

2015-01-20152509_zps818500cc.jpg2015-01-20152453_zps1ae9ddf7.jpg

Matt, I'll look him up. I saw pictures of the headstock in another thread and really liked the look of it.

Thanks for the info.

On another point, I was surprised at how fast the neck turned out. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour. I am aware that it is not a traditionally shaped neck (trapeziodal), but is this a normal time frame? I was expecting it to take longer.

• 2 months later...

20150129_123041_zpsymdlftyh.jpg20150129_123050_zpsr0frmi8x.jpg

Well, this is what happens when you are ADD and not paying attention. Shaping the neck and filed it way off the mark.

I had to walk away from this for about a week.

20150129_131852_zpsvbmeoyg0.jpg20150129_134924_zpsewjfxhxk.jpg

Cut the section out, and glued in a piece from the cutoff I had (I learned to save everything until I am done).

20150410_113109_zpsxhz0q296.jpg

It's not perfect, but I will look at that as a learning experience. At least I don't have to rebuild the whole thing AGAIN!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought I would have more time to get this done, but the interviews are happening and, oh yeah, the Honey-Do list just got longer.

BUT, I have had time to get SOME things done. The issue is that the Dremel-esque tool my friend uses for sanding internal areas, like my headstock, busted and we are waiting on replacement parts, so I've been working on small items.

20150512_102100_zps5tsvm7ia.jpg

Drilled the positions for the pots, but I found a small issue...

20150512_102106_zpsrdscqhyv.jpg

The top is too thick. I'm thinking I need to use a forstner bit to thin it. Any other suggestions?

20150512_103706_zpssyw0wshm.jpg

While I'm working on the area of the pots, I thought I'd give making my own knobs (insert snarky comments here).

This is leftover persimmon from the fretboard. Why not?

20150514_115118_zpsjd1rqhzr.jpg

I turned a scrap section down to 1" diameter, but they look a bit big. I'll take another section down to 3/4". I think that would look better.

20150512_103714_zpszzyvj3hv.jpg

I'll end the day with my beverage of choice.

Oh, one of the job prospects is with a local company that constructs stage sets and lighting rigs for concert tours, like Lady Gaga.

The top is too thick. I'm thinking I need to use a forstner bit to thin it. Any other suggestions?

Use a forstener bit to countersink the pots a little deeper inside the control cavity, or as a slightly more fancy option, countersink the top so that the knobs sit in a "crater" just below the surface of the top (kinda what PRS does with their control knobs).